S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all u 2.8 L guys i need some help, i have a problem with my truck not starting, and the problem is within the ignitioin system and the starter, i was wondering if anyone knows what the smaller wire on the top of the starter, connected to the same post that the one directly off the battery is connected to, anyone know what that does or controls or if that could be where my problem is located?

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
Need more info to help you with your problem... The small purple wire that is connected to the solenoid on the starter feeds 12 volts to the solenoid to start the truck when the key is turned to the "start" position. The positive battery cable goes directly to the starter and the other smaller wire connects to the back of the alternator. If you are hearing a "click", "click" when trying to start the truck, the solenoid isn't getting all the voltage that it needs to engage the starter. But first off, check ALL your connections and make SURE that they are TIGHT. Especially the ones on the battery. If you see any blue/green "powder" on the battery terminals or on the connections to the starter, that's your problem. Did you do ANYTHING to the truck before this problem occured? HTH's

Mike Campbell

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k thanks for the help man, the starter is doing absolutely NOTHING, no noises what so ever, the purple wire runs the solenoid from the ingition switch and that one is fine, so im guessing my problem is the other smaller wire connected to the starter, but there is no corrosion on the battery, the battery is brand new and has a solid 13 volts, but there is no sounds what so ever coming from the starter

thanks for the help man

russ

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not unusual to have a bad clutch or park lock out switch under the dash. Locate that purple wire that goes to the starter, cut some of the insulation off and run a wire from the battery to the bare wire. Note it will make the starter run so have trans in park or neutral, and it will make a spark so don't get shook up. If it doesn't work with this, you have a bad main battery cable/end or the starter is junk.

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
The easiest place to apply 12 volts to the solenoid on the starter without getting under the truck is in the big wiring harness by the brake booster. There could be as many as three purple wires in there but, the biggest one is the one that you want. You can see a pic of it here: http://syty.huryde.com/html/electrical/starter_wire.htm As tom3 mentioned, peel back a little insulation and put 12 volts to the wire. It should try to start when you do this.

Another possibility is the ground cable between the starter and solenoid is bad. I repaired one on my bud's F-150 in the summer as it corroded in two. New alternator was $150 and I fixed it for less than $5 with a new ground strap and silver solder. The ground wire is about the size of a wooden pencil and you will only be able to see less than an inch of it.

Other than that, maybe you have a bad park/neutral sensing switch. BTW, the truck HAS to be in park or neutral to start. It won't even turn over if it isn't. May seem a bit trite but, helped a guy on another forum with the same problem and that's what it ended up being :rolleyes: . HTH's

Mike Campbell

·
V8 needin' member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys, well i got it running, i traced every wire from the starter back, no breaks or anything, replaced the ignition switch under the dash, nothing, well theres that little distribution block behind the passenger side head on the fire wall, that powers the engine compartment light, and apparently that is powered by a small wire that runs off the main hot lead on the starter, this wire got sooo brittle, i guess from bein right beside the header, and burnt it completely off, so all i did was run a new wire and she started up, thanks for all the help, and i hope this helps anyone else who might be having this problem

thanks again for all the help

russ

·
91 s10 pick up & blazer
42 Posts
i had the key not go to the start position so i put in a remote starter. so all i have to do is put the key in to the run position and hit my switch and no prob from there on out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts