S-10 Forum banner

2.8 S15 Jimmy with tired engine.

612 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Rebel n Dirt 
#1 ·
I bought a GMC S15 Jimmy from a friend who couldn't get it running and, after going through the entire fuel system, was running great! I ran it around the empty school parking lot, and wow! What power from that little motor! Registered it, and all of a sudden it started to make grinding noises with loss of power. I would stop it, start it ran great for a mile then the same thing. It started ticking, so immediately thought lifters. So I told my friend who sold it to me, he said to check the AC clutch. Doesn't make sense, but I did, clutch is fried, but doesn't account for the loss of power, grinding, engine stalling, and the ticking (which I'm sure is the lifters).

I had a ticking problem in my '77 Ford Ranger 400m, and after trying to change the lifters found myself not only opening a rotten can of worms of which I tried to rebuild, I ended up throwing the whole engine away. So, I'm really afraid to dig into this thing and I need this as a daily driver. Any solutions without replacing the engine? I'm already looking into swapping it with a Chevy 350.

#2 ·
My 02 Blazer winter beater with non functioning A/C makes a grinding sound and stalls when I first start it in the fall. If I spray PB Blaster into the rusty A/C clutch it quiets down and stops stalling. I think when it sits moisture collects in the clutch and cause it to drag. By oiling it with penetrating fluid it frees up enough to clean the rust out.

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.