S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of anything you can do to the 2.8 liter in my 86 blazer s10 to give it some punch? I know it needs an engine swap but is there any performance things I can do to give it some more acceleration? Also I heard these engines are supposed to get 20-25 mpg but I only get like 12-13 on the highway. wtf? is it just that I'm pushing the engine that hard?? Please some one let me know thanks in advance for your help

Steve

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
When is the last time you checked your timing? I checked mine after I replaced a blown head gasket in my 2.8. It was getting worse gas mileage than the 5.7L 3/4 ton chevy I drive from time to time... And the timing was 10 degrees advanced on top of the 10 degrees it was supposed to be at (20 degrees advanced total). Hmm, guess that was why when I went to pass people it just fell on it's face. ECM sensed all the knock and started pulling the timing. If you have to adjust it, MAKE SURE that you disconnect the electronic spark control (ESC) wire. The vehicle emission control information (VECI) sticker under your hood will spell how to adjust the timing. HTH

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do I unplug the esc wire? is timing real difficult to change? I'm real novice but thanks for the advice~!

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
Ok, here's the run down. On the passenger side of the truck under the carpet, there should be a tan wire with a black strip on it. This wire will be all by itself-it will not be part of a harness. There will be a connector to seperate the wire. You will need to do this prior to checking and adjusting the timing if necessary.

Got the ESC wire disconnected? Ok, now connect the inductive pick up on your timing light to the #1 spark plug wire. On your truck it should be the plug on the passenger side at the very front of the truck. Start the truck and look for the timing mark on the harmonic balancer. It will have a slot cut into it about a 1/16" of an inch wide. Make sure you WATCH OUT for the fan blades as they will be rotating VERY close to where you need to aim the timing light! There will be a "saw tooth" looking deal (it will be on the driver's side of the truck at the bottom) that you will use to check/adjust the timing. As you look at the "saw tooth" you will notice that the "teeth" on the far right side have a "gap" between them. That is where you want the mark on the harmonic balancer to be at. Your timing should be 10 degrees advanced also but, check the VECI sticker on the sheet metal that goes over top of the radiator to double check.

If it the timing is off, the real "fun" begins. The problem is the distributor hold down bolt is a real PITA to get to. You will have to remove your coil in order to even get at it. The coil is the transformer looking deal bolted by the firewall. Getting that off is "fun" too as some of the bolts are hard to get on. Everything is 10mm if I remember correctly. Now, get yourself a REALLY long extension and loosen the bolt at the bottom of the distributor (not as easy as it sounds!). Some people use a crow's foot or a wrench that is made specifically for this task but being that I had neither, I made due with what I had. Not really hard with a long extension and ratchet IMO. Don't 100% remember what size the distributor bolt was, think it was either 9/16" or 15 mm. Loosen the bolt just enough to turn the distributor and no more. With the knob on your timing light set to 10 degress, rotate the distributor one way or the other to get the timing mark in the "sweet spot". You can do it yourself (I did) but it's easier when another person can turn it while you observe where the timing mark is. Once you get it, turn the truck off and tighten the distributor bolt down. Before you bolt the coil back up, check the timing one more time to confirm that it didn't change any when you tighened down the bolt. Finally, reconnect the ESC wire that you disconnected earlier. Congratulations, you just adjusted the timing on your truck! If there is anything else ya wanna know, just ask. Good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow mike thanks a lot!! I'll try and see how much of that I can do..I love learning new things and messing with my car as long as I know what I'm messing with. you spelled it out great thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I searched "2.8 timing" and got this one. My truck still idles a little rough after new plugs, wires, oil change, O2 sensor etc. I asked the shop that I take my truck to about adjusting the timing and they said it could not be done on this truck? After reading this I'm confused. Any input?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Yeah there are some shops around here that dont like working on certain things. But most of them are honest. I had an old 77 F250 that I wanted to get painted once, so I took it to the local body shop and they swiftly told me that they were not interested in doing it...lol

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I've got a so called friend that works @ a shop here locally and he cant work on anything unless its fully computer controlled and will tell him whats wrong.:rotf:

I asked him just some easy question on my monte and he had absolutely no clue. And the question was how do you adjust the idle on a Holley carb>>>>:bash:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
the base timing can be adjusted but thats about it unless you get into chip burning/emulation

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,149 Posts
to answer op's question. do what i did, **** up the engine and buy a newer vehicle with a 4.3 :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts