S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 88 with a 2.8, but the motor is bad. i need to find another but i only have about 300-400 for it. i can get a 5.0(305?) from a friend who was going to put it into his 94 but decided on a 350 instead. he said about 300 for it and it has 70,000 miles on it but i really dont have money to buy an expensive one. the only motors i can find are 2.5s around here in illinois. if anyone can tell me where to get motor mount kits or another 2.8 in that price please post or pm me

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
With a 60 degree V6 motor, you are limited in what you can swap. If you go with anything other than another 2.8, 3.1 or a 3.4, you're gonna have to swap the transmission too because it won't bolt up (bolt pattern is different). I bought a 3.4 out of a wrecked camaro when my 2.8 died for $500 and it is a direct swap. The only problem is you have to upgrade to bigger fuel injectors. If you try to retain the 2.8 injectors, you will run lean at WOT. I used the injectors from my bud's old 4.3 astro van that he gave me :).

The swap was WELL worth it as the 2.8 has 125HP/150TQ whereas the 3.4 has 160 HP/200TQ. My truck used to be lacking in power going up hills and towing with the two point hate. Really enjoy driving it now. I got a phenolic throttle body spacer for it last week and am in the process of getting some sleeves machined out of aluminum for it (spacer is for a 5.7 350 SBC so, bore is bigger). Hope to pick up a little more low end torque and better gas mileage to boot. HTH's

Mike Campbell

·
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will the 3.1 or 3.4 mount up directly to stock? and what is needed? motor, tranny, ecu and what else?

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
It is a direct swap, you don't have to buy anything other than the motor and gaskets (you get to reuse your tranny, ECM the works). I would post the link to s-series.org but it is down right now :(. There is an EXCELLENT how to on there. That what I used when I did my swap for my motor and injectors. I will post it when it is back up. HTH's

Mike Campbell

·
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill have to look into it. everyone around here has a camaro and im sure the drunks wreck theirs enough. what about the 3.1 though? would it fit too? and i thought the 2.8 was carbed and the 3.4 was fi so how can i use the stock injectors? anyways thanks for the info and link:thumbup: . i really want to do a motor and dont have tha money. the s-series.org one is for a crate motor though, so should it be the same? well im rambling so if i find one and have questions, ill pm you. thanks again
Justin

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
The link to the first ebay motor looks exactly like the one that I got. I still have the 3.4 SFI intake that I intend to polish someday when I have the time and sell on ebay :). It came out of a 95 camaro with 50K on it according to the junkyard that I bought it from. Upon pulling the intake off, the lifter valley was very clean. I installed an Autometer electrical oil pressure and transmission temperture gauge recently and the motor has 62 psi of oil pressure going down the road... Even though the write up on s-series is for a crate motor, it is the same song and dance for any motor that you can obtain from a boneyard. My S10 had fuel injection on it already so, I didn't have to deal with a carb and whatnot. That can make things a little more complicated.

You *could* use a 3.1 if you wanted but, why would you want to? Unless you can't get a good deal on a 3.4 or find one locally, the price difference between a 3.1 and a 3.4 won't be worth writing home to momma about. So, you might as well get the biggest bang for the buck eh ;)? Everyone that has done the swap is VERY pleased with the performance. I am :)! My bud ended up locating the motor for my swap. I'm in OH and he lives 135 miles away from me in PA. Loaded my S10 on my trailer and took it to his place and we did the swap over a weekend. HTH's

Mike Campbell

·
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i talked to some guys at local shops and junkyards about the 3.4 swap and all of them said it would take so much work and would probably never run and that a 4.3 would be my best bet and would need motor mounts and wiring harness. no one had anything good to say about putting a 3.4 into an s10. is there any truth to this?

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
They think that 2.8 to 4.3 is less work! That's the hillarious! You'd have to swap engine mounts, transmission, etc to drop in a 4.3, and you wouldn't gain nearly enough power (comparing stock engines) to make up the pain in the ass and cost factors.

Ask them why GM sells the 3.4 crate motor as a simple drop in exchange.

·
Registered
383 Posts
oryou could just go with a 350 and get more power and it is just as easy as swap as a 4.3 becuase there basicly the same motor but the 4.3 has 2 cylinders cut off plus you have more hop ups for the 350 and there easier to build

·
Registered
383 Posts
you can just take you 2.8 and have a stoker kit put in it or i think i was 94-97 camaro have the fuel injected 3.4s in them i think there a 190 horse power

1 - 14 of 14 Posts