S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 2.8 and I got a small leak and cant figure where its from. I know its not the oil pan or valve covers because they are both clean, actually almost the whole engine is clean all the oil is on the trans. Its coming from the back of the motor. The guy I bought it from said its a plug in the back that might be leaking. Is there even a plug in the back of the motor? Dosnt leak a whole lot but anyone else run into this problem with the 2.8? Also what did you do to fix it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would start by checking the distributer, depending on how much of a leak you have. Otherwise it is likely that it is the rear main seal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its really random on how much it leaks some times I loss more then a quart every 3000 or some times its less then a half. So I think it has something to do with driving because some months im on the highway a lot more then others. So would that be more liky the rear main seal?

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,682 Posts
It's likely the O-ring in the distributor. Some gasket kits have a paper one between the dizzy base and the motor. That O-ring is notorious for leaking though, so my bet is on that or the seal between the intake and the block. I'll say this much though....even though that is a place that looks like a leak waiting to happen, I've never seen it leak there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's likely the O-ring in the distributor. Some gasket kits have a paper one between the dizzy base and the motor. That O-ring is notorious for leaking though, so my bet is on that or the seal between the intake and the block. I'll say this much though....even though that is a place that looks like a leak waiting to happen, I've never seen it leak there.
I did have another guy say somthing about the lower intake and block might be it. Also by a place that looks like a leak would happen but youve never seen it do you mean the intake or the rear main seal?

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
As previously mentioned, check your distributor. When was the last time you changed the O-ring? That or the back of your valve covers is almost guaranteed to be where it's leaking. I've never heard of the intake leaking oil. If that was happening the intake would also be leaking coolant. It's really easy to pull your distributor and very cheap to change the o-ring. I would definitely give that a shot before you do anything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive only had the truck for a few months so I havent even checked the o-ring so I will do that when ever I get a day of and the temp is at least 2 postive digets lol. And its doing just fine with coolent. I lost some coolent awhile back but come to find out it was a loss hose. If the o-ring isnt it I while move to the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I feel you on the temp. Good luck with it. I will be very surprised if it isn't one of the two.

·
3,682 Posts
I've never heard of the intake leaking oil. If that was happening the intake would also be leaking coolant.
No it wouldn't. What I am talking about it that S shaped gasket that sits on the flat part of the block (lifter valley). Some kits come with a cork gasket, but I usually just use RTV there. There is one in the front and back. It most certainly can leak there and coolant wouldn't leak because that is an internal water passage seal that is sealed by the intake gaskets. The only thing there exposed is oil.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
oh ok I see what you mean. I was thinking more along the lines of a bad casting that would be twisted and not flat.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Def check the distributor o ring first. I gotta change mine out if it ever gets above 10 degrees here. Cost me .95 cents and it dont look like a bad job

·
In a tree stand
92 Posts
I hear everyone on the cold weather lately! I just did a new exhaust system manifold back on my friends Toyota. Then did an r&r on the rear bumper cover and support because he was rearended. All in my cold ass driveway. Anyways if you pull the distributor make sure you mark the location of the rotor bug. Makes it easier putting it back in ;)

·
A work in progress...
1,450 Posts
I've read elsewhere that you can use a small block chevy dist. gasket along with the o-ring to help seal it up. It seems to be a common problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys for all the input im hoping its just the o-ring and not somthing else like the other gaskets you guys were talking about.

·
3,682 Posts
I've read elsewhere that you can use a small block chevy dist. gasket along with the o-ring to help seal it up. It seems to be a common problem.
Yep, I have heard that too. Some gasket kits for 2.8 I have seen come with that gasket. It's double protection, so the next time mine comes out, I am doing that too.

What happens on that rubber gasket is that is continuosly heats up and cools down and either gets brittle or loses its elasticity. Either way, a recipe for leaks. When pulled mine from my 2.8 when it came out, it broke into two pieces before I could remove it. Dunno if it was leaking or not curiously.

·
1982 SS10
34 Posts
on 2.8 engines, there is a plate on the back that seals the camshaft. most engines use an exspantion plug, this uses a 3 bolt plate and a gasket; as far as i know, this gasket can only be gotten in a conversion set or a full gasket kit.

·
3,682 Posts
on 2.8 engines, there is a plate on the back that seals the camshaft. most engines use an exspantion plug, this uses a 3 bolt plate and a gasket; as far as i know, this gasket can only be gotten in a conversion set or a full gasket kit.

Yeah you are right about that. I remember seeing that little plate when I put in my 3.4.. I bet you could get it from the dealer, or worst case, cut one yourself. Considering the way that gasket functions and how it it bolted up there, I'd be inclined to not think it was what was leaking. My bet is still on lifter valley or distributor.

·
1982 SS10
34 Posts
DONT TRY TO MAKE THAT GASKET! at the bolt points,there are three metal inserts to keep x amount of stand off. i was gonna do that,machine shop suggested it would be a bad idea,something about the stand off required.

·
3,682 Posts
DONT TRY TO MAKE THAT GASKET! at the bolt points,there are three metal inserts to keep x amount of stand off. i was gonna do that,machine shop suggested it would be a bad idea,something about the stand off required.
That's a good piece of information. Thanks, I was unaware of that. I've made a lot of gaskets over the years but I never took mine off that I remember. Where did you wind up getting one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dont worry I dont plan on making my own gaskets I was going to check the oil and everything today but the hood is froozen shut lol I guess its going to have to wait a little longer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.