S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dan the mang
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi so im looking to buy an 84' s-10 and the only thing im worried about is the motor condition, being that the truck is 23 years old... the owner claims that he had it rebuilt about 3 years ago and it cost him about $1800 canadian, other than asking him for a receipt proving that how can i be sure to not be taken in? the motor currently has i think 8000 miles on it as of now, with 262,000 km right now so about 162,000 miles approximately.. thanks for ur help !:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
look at the gaskets for the heads and front cover. if there new then thats a good sign it was rebuilt. and take of the oil fill cap and look inside the valve cover. it it was rebuilt it should be clean and free of sludge.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it was rebuilt, then you shouldn't have much to worry about, other than the tranny... is it a 5 speed manual? I wouldn't go anywhere near an auto that old, though I don't like auto's period.

The only bad thing about 2.8's before 1986 is that they had smaller main bearing journals (width, size) and I've heard they had a "Weak" crank, dunno about that though.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just for the longevity question. I've had a couple here that went over 200,000 miles before similar problems, not with the crank but with valves. Both had passenger side valve problems. Were fixed and one was wrecked at 260,000 and the other was sold. Have not heard about the other.

The transmissions were both automatics and one was swapped out at 235,000 or so and the other may still be going.

On the other hand, I dont think much of the 700r4 in stronger motors. They seem to do as well as need be for the little ones.

PS, I dont like automatics since the Chrysler 727 anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 85 2.8 S10 auto long bed and it had 310.000 befor my son blew the tranny, sold it to a friend and he put anouther 60,000 on it befor he wrecked it, only thing it needed was valve seals :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
im the third owner of my 85 s10. neither the 2nd owner or i have rebuilt my 2.8 liter. it has well over 200,000 miles on it and still going strong and more reliable than my 96 k1500! in spite of what v-8 owners say the 2.8 in my truck has plenty of power. its 4wheel drive with 31s under it and have no problem turning them over with a t4 tranny (4 speed manual). as far as i know everything is stock in the motor. im not saying it couldnt use a rebuild but it doesnt have to have one. i wouldnt spend the money on a rebuild unless u can see that it actually needs one.

·
I need money!
190 Posts
My 84 2.8 has the orig. motor and trans, at 110,000 miles. It still runs great, and I would trust it to go anywhere. I'd expect it to hit 250k miles before it needs much, as long as its maintained.
Scott

·
Registered
654 Posts
307k on my 85 4x4, orig engine and tranny.
Still running great and used as a daily driver.

Not sure but a steel engine is what i think can be said about the 85's on down, which makes for a lasting lil son-of-a-gun. Why this tranny is still great is beyond me - i'm amazed.

*watch - just jinxed it now and it'll croak on me mid-way somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts