S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need to know asap if anybody knows the answer.

will the tranny from my 85 s-10 blazer 4x4 (2.8) work with a 4.3 blazer engine from a 93??? assuming i move everything transfer case, tranny, etc!!! i need to know like yesterday!!!!! i only care if it will work. not if it will take some work,cost more then just swapping a used 4.3 tranny etc!!!! if anybody knows please tell me asap

thanks,
mike
!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
ok well the usuall reply i hear is no so im gona give you that im not sure if its as eeasy as switching bellhousings or if the trannys are really different

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
I dont understand what your wanting. Do you have a 93 blazer with the 4.3 or a 85 blazer 4x4 with a 2.8?? I can tell you that bellhousings are different and that they are non removeable on all current chevy automatics(except maybe the 99 and up??), they are made in as part of the transmission case itself.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
you cant take a 2.8 tranny and use it on a 4.3 because you mite as well just take a sledge hammer to it right now. there is a big differencer in power from a 4.3 to a 2.8 and the tranny will just break apart and you mite end up fixing some parts on your engine. however if you mean taking a tranny from a 4.3 and putting it into a 2.8 it'll work just fine. in the long run just dropping a 4.3 tranny will be alot less costly.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
TruStinger said:
you cant take a 2.8 tranny and use it on a 4.3 because you mite as well just take a sledge hammer to it right now. there is a big differencer in power from a 4.3 to a 2.8 and the tranny will just break apart and you mite end up fixing some parts on your engine. however if you mean taking a tranny from a 4.3 and putting it into a 2.8 it'll work just fine. in the long run just dropping a 4.3 tranny will be alot less costly.
I love these misconceptions, I have a stock T-5 from a 4 cyl S-10 behind my turbo 3.2L, that makes somewhere in the neighbourhood of 250 to 280 HP (going by calculations of trap speed and ET), and it's holding up just fine.

The biggest problem with what is proposed in this thread is physical fitment, not the power it can/could handle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 2.8 and 4cyl engines have the smaller front wheel drive style bellhousing flange, the 4.3 has the chevy V8 bellhousing flange. They are totally different bellhousings and are not interchangeable. You can have a 2.8 700R4 built with V8 internals to handle more power, but it will not physically bolt up to a 4.3 or Chevy V8 engine.

The 4.3 was designed by taking the Chevy small block V8 design and eliminating two of the cylinders. According to Chevrolet the 2.8L 60°V6 was originally designed for FWD use in the X-body Chevy Citation.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
:werd:

·
Registered
75 Posts
rablair's got your answer :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys.

I just remembered that there are adapter plates available to go between the 4.3/V8 engines and the smaller-flange transmissions/transaxles, but they would add a little length to the drivetrain and that might be a problem too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts