S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a survivor 1st gen. It hasn't run in 8 years. I got her running and it gets up to temp not over heat. Then it dies. Only will start up if I hold throttle wide open bit will not idle. Please help

·
Registered
207 Posts
Kinda need more information like what have you done to prep starting a truck after that long. Usually the carb needs rebuild and the tank needs emptying. What year is it and what engine. Might be dying for many reasons. Does it have a choke, is it opening up .
More info needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 1993 2.8 5 speed 2wd standard cab short box. With 89xxx miles. I put marvel mystery oil in all the cylinders and let it soak for a while. I also added sea foam to the tank and 5 fresh gallons. It has a new coil and ignition module. I think I'm going to start fresh and put a new fuel pump & filter. Completely drain the tank. And change the thermostat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Its a 1993 2.8 5 speed 2wd standard cab short box. With 89xxx miles. I put marvel mystery oil in all the cylinders and let it soak for a while. I also added sea foam to the tank and 5 fresh gallons. It has a new coil and ignition module. I think I'm going to start fresh and put a new fuel pump & filter. Completely drain the tank. And change the thermostat.
Good start. With sitting for that long there are lots of possibilities.Draining the tank is a good step. Though you put 5 gallons in there, the fuel that was in there was bad. Sounds like your getting fuel at first, but once it warms up, anything is possible. Thermostat could be sticking and once it warms up it could be throwing the sensors into limp mode. Hows the oil pressure ?
Have you driven it around before it dies ?

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
I didn't swap my tank when I rebuilt my truck. Kind of regretting it. Not because it is nasty, but the gasket on the top is porous apparently and my fuel seems to evaporate when I park it. That might actually be a blessing while it's not driven much.

Those plastic tanks are pretty cool because they don't rust which lessens debris that accumulates in the tank.

http://www.gastankdepot.com/2100-plastic-fuel-gas-tank-chevy-s10-gmc-s15-pickup-20-gallon.html

Little pricey, but I think it's solid if you want to keep it a long time. Not really plastic in the traditional sense. Polyethylene. Most tanks are made from this today.

·
Boozebag
9,265 Posts
You may want to change the fuel filter first. It sounds like that might be the problem, along with the other stuff mentioned.
There is a 'sock' type pre-filter on the fuel inlet to the fuel pump that sometimes clogs with garbage. The fuel that is pumped today is really junk, it causes problems when left in a fuel tank for extended periods of time.

Suggestion:
Change oil and filter (if you haven't done that)
and replace the fuel filter.
Post results and pics...

Edit... your fuel pump may be pooched...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I have changed the oil and filter. Thermostat , fuel filter, fuel pump with new pre filter. The coil , the ignition module , and now the pick up coil. I'm currently working on changing out broken or cracked vaccum hoses. And putting in a new pcv valve and o2 sensor. Hope go have it together by the weekend ... I'll let u guys know how it goes

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. I hooked up a scanner and turns out the coolant temp sensor was bad which was causing issues with my fuel and air intake and everything else. I changed it and all seems to be right in the world again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts