S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Chevrolet S10 Xtreme
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what sensor is this in the circle? and what tube is that where the arrow points. I can't figure out what they are. I have a problem:

I have a 1991 S10 2.8 5-speed and it has 32,060 orginial miles on it. No joke. It's just never driven a lot. All that I have done to the engine is install a throttle body spacer and stainless steel braided fuel lines. I was having this problem before I did any engine mods. When I'm exiting off the high way going about 60 mph in 5th gear, I push in my clutch to down shift or coast and the engine dies. Right when I hit the clutch in. I coast with the clutch in and start the engine back up while exiting and its fine. Why does it die? It happens every time I drive and its making me mad cause I don't know how to fix it. Happens in 4th gear too. I checked all the vacuum tubes and connections. I have a new clutch. Checked the tranny and clutch fluids. What could be wrong?

I need to fix this... but I'm not going to pay $$$ to the dealership to fix it. -Cause they'll just pick something and replace it. I haven't had luck with my local chevy dealership. If you have or had this problem or heard about it, please let me know. Thanks...

·
Registered
152 Posts
try back up light switch

nice picture of a t5 borg warner, driver's side

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 'sensor' in this picture is your reverse light switch. As for the hose..I can't see where it goes. It's too late for me to be crawling under my truck to see what it is. What does it connect to?

I'm not sure about your problem. On these particular trucks (TBI) the ECM goes into deceleration mode when it detects the vehicle slowing down and a large decrease in manifold pressure. In can, in fact, temporarily shut down the injectors if the deceleration is fast enough. I don't know how that might relate to your problem, though.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
the part with the arrow is the bleader for your clutch.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohhh

ohhhhh

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like idle speed problem. Do you have AC? There's a solinoid that adjusts idle speed to make up for the extra load.

Does it idle ok the rest of the time?

HTH

Wild Tukey

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dang, really?

really!??? Yeah, I have AC. Yeah, it idles ok the rest of the time. Where is this solenoid located? I didn't even know that solenoid existed on my truck!

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
It screws right into the tbi on the front it has a 4 pin square connector and is called the IAC valve.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
what is this?

Hey guys, do you know what this is? I'm thinking its a speedo sensor. Any one know anything about this? Anyone replaced this before? Thanks...

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
yes thats the vss (speed sensor) to replace it take out that bolt right beside it and wiggle it out. pretty streight foreward. but i dont remember if you will have to catch fluid or not when you pull it tho.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
replaced IAC valve

Tha_Boom said:
It screws right into the tbi on the front it has a 4 pin square connector and is called the IAC valve.
Here's a pic of the new IAC

Okay, I replaced the IAC valve, but the engine still won't Idle rights sometimes. When I took out the old IAC it looked like it was seating right. But I just went ahead a replaced it. It was only $30 bucks. I think its the fuel pressure regulator. If that's not it, it could be my fuel pump. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What is this?

Tha_Boom said:
what is this?

·
Registered
653 Posts
That is the waxinhanger assembly it keeps the snarflex system in alignment. If you have too much berfle flowing thru the snarflex you can blow the muffler bearings. :)))))

Actually,

Thats the fuel pressure regulator. The gold colored round can on the bottom is the regulator above it is a diaphram and passages from the fuel input, return and to the injectors.
You should get a manual

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A manual fuel pressure regulator is where you can adjust the pressure yourself right? Like a screw you adjust?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oil psi sensor

OK I figured about why my truck was Idling a little bad because I didn't have the stock oil psi sensor hooked up. " I thought I didn't need it " HA! As my knowledge on engines keeps growing I learn that you do need certain things. Man I'm an idot! I was using a autometer oil psi sensor for my new autometer gauges. So I went to home depot and bought some 1/8" fittings and made it where both sensors can work. Check out the pics. The engine runs much better but I still think I might have a fuel problem cause the Idle still goes up and down.

·
Registered
653 Posts
1991S1030K said:
A manual fuel pressure regulator is where you can adjust the pressure yourself right? Like a screw you adjust?
When I suggested you get a manual I ment a shop manual on your vehicle.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
manual

Sorry I didn't know. I do have a Haynes shop manual on my truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts