S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Chevrolet S10 Xtreme
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 S10 2.8 5-speed and it has 31,000 orginial miles on it. No joke. It's just never driven a lot. I have no engine mods. When I'm exiting off the high way going about 60 mph in 5th gear, I push in my clutch to down shift or coast and the engine dies. Right when I hit the clutch in. I coast with the clutch in and start the engine back up while exiting and its fine. Why does it die? It doesn't happen every time, just every once in a while. Happens in 4th gear too. I checked all the vacuum tubes and connections. I have a new clutch. Checked the tranny and clutch fluids. What could be wrong?

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
what i would do is get underneath where the trans. check both sides to see if there is any plugs that connect to the trans from the "ecm" electronic control module and see if they are loose or damaged.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, I'll check that out. Thanks man!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't checked the plugs yet, but also, when my truck is idling... the speedo jumps up and down. It doesn't do it when I'm driving though. You think the sensor is messed up? I think the sensor is located at the tail of the tranny.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I passed one of those police trailers that post your speed when you drive by and I noticed my speedo is 5 off. I was going 30 and the trailer said 25. I went to new 16" rims with 245/50 tires. The rims are off a 1997 SS S-10. Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to get a speedo sensor off a SS S-10?

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
1991S1030K said:
I haven't checked the plugs yet, but also, when my truck is idling... the speedo jumps up and down. It doesn't do it when I'm driving though. You think the sensor is messed up? I think the sensor is located at the tail of the tranny.
correct the sensors would be around the tail and, and maybe around where the bell housing is

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
1991S1030K said:
I passed one of those police trailers that post your speed when you drive by and I noticed my speedo is 5 off. I was going 30 and the trailer said 25. I went to new 16" rims with 245/50 tires. The rims are off a 1997 SS S-10. Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to get a speedo sensor off a SS S-10?
i really dont know on this..so i cant say. but i would think that when u change tire sizes...either bigger/or lower pros. the spedo would change as well. but on how to re-calubrate it, im not sure

·
Club H.A.S.T.E Turtle
408 Posts
Check out www.s-series.org . They have a utility that can check how much your speedo will be off by plugging in factory and current tire sizes. Also, if your '91 is anything like my '93, a local shop that recalibrates DRAC modules says that the calibration is all in the cluster.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! Do you know a place where I can get my speedo recalibrated? Does it cost a lot?

·
Club H.A.S.T.E Turtle
408 Posts
To get it recalibrated, call your local Chevy dealer's parts dept. Tell them you would like a new DRAC module, they may give you the number of a local guy that can do it for you. You will need original tire size, current tire size, gear ratios and some other info.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DropindaS-Mini said:
what i would do is get underneath where the trans. check both sides to see if there is any plugs that connect to the trans from the "ecm" electronic control module and see if they are loose or damaged.

I checked the plugs... they look okay.

Also check this out, now it happens every time I drive.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8932

·
Registered
67 Posts
i dont know where to post this so ill post it here i have a 1997 sonoma 2.2 5speed well 4 speed. and when i go to put it in 5th gear it does nothing no noise its just like i put it in neutral and when i back up i have to hold it in reverse because it'll pop out all the other gears work perfect i bought the truck two years ago with this problem for 700.00 the body is good and it only had 130,000 and now it has 160000 so i decided its going to last quite a while so i'd like to fix it. and i have to pull the tranny out any way because the slave cylinder is getting bad any help would be great thanks ahead of time

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
@ rockwell. well your losing gears or your clutch isn't engaging. My s10 "lost" 1st and 5th awhile back and sometimes it wouldn't go into gear at all and the reverse was't working good so i thought it was my tranny. Got the tranny off and was inspecting the flywheel, the damn thing moved back and forth. Turned out my crank got worn down 1/8 inch on each side so instead of the clutch engaging it pushed the flywheel/crank foward. Take off your tranny, its easy if you got a correct tranny jack or a car lift (did mine on regular jack stands and our tranny jack was gone, manhandling that thing was a bitch). If its the tranny go to a junkyard and get one.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
@ Rockwell, post it in the 2.2 forum, this is 2.8 V6 forum.......

·
Littering And?
1,378 Posts
^ wise words from a wise man lol. Most of us drive/work on/prefer the 660's not the 4 bangers (why pay the same price for less power and slightly better fuel eco). IMO i think they should have kept the iron duke b/c i've heard nothing but good things about them(sept the head cracking years). Same with the 2.8L; it amazes me the trash people talk about the 2.8 but how many have driven/worked on one? I think the 2.8L is a good little engine with decent power for its size and age. The previous owner of my s10 didn't do much for the engine but that engine kept on ticking for 19 years.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I think the 2.8 and 2.5 are best mated to a 5 speed trans, good power and accel for a small pickup with decent MPG to boot......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.