S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 84 4x4 and all seems to be well except I have to run engine RPM way up to get it to shift. Is this a governor problem or am I missing something simple? I plan on changing fluids and filters and adding a shift kit just to be safe. I'm only adding the shift kit because I plan on towing a 14' fiberglass boat, motor and trailer. I will also add a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What is there no one out here who can help me with my problem...or at least offer me a direction to check. Is it my TV cable, governor, torque convertor? I work for a heavy duty and medium duty GM truck dealership so I can order any parts really cheap to fix it. So I just need some answers on where to start.:cuss: :dunno:

·
Registered
20 Posts
navyrick said:
What is there no one out here who can help me with my problem...or at least offer me a direction to check. Is it my TV cable, governor, torque convertor? I work for a heavy duty and medium duty GM truck dealership so I can order any parts really cheap to fix it. So I just need some answers on where to start.:cuss: :dunno:
I'm in the same boat you are. My 83 with the 700R4 is doing exactly the same thing. I've reset the TV cable 3 times and she still screams her guts out before a 1-2 upshift. One trany mechanic suggested that I change the filter and fluid. Haven't done that yet. I'm wondering if the TV cable is stretched a bit. I posted about this problem a while ago, and, got no responses either. If I manage to fix it, I'll post here.

Regards:
Oldengineer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll try it all!!! My cost is less than $75 for all the parts....TV cable, Governor, filter and fluid!!! I'll let you know how it goes! Hell I only paid $200 for the vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
navyrick said:
I think I'll try it all!!! My cost is less than $75 for all the parts....TV cable, Governor, filter and fluid!!! I'll let you know how it goes! Hell I only paid $200 for the vehicle.
I know what you mean. I only paid $400 for mine. I really suspect this problem is being caused by a stretched TV cable that's screwing up the initial position of the valve it controls in the tranny. I thought about replacing the governor, but, that looks like it would involve pulling the tranny on my truck. I had to swap the engine last summer because the bottom end of the original was shot - no oil pressure. Let me know how you make out.

Regards:
Oldengineer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the trick to changing the TV cable? Got it disengaged from the carb...but cant seem to see or feel where it plugs in to the trans. Does the exhaust have to come down to reach up to it? Trans pulls good w/o slippage in first and reverse just will not shift up. The transfer case works perfectly as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
navyrick said:
What is the trick to changing the TV cable? Got it disengaged from the carb...but cant seem to see or feel where it plugs in to the trans. Does the exhaust have to come down to reach up to it? Trans pulls good w/o slippage in first and reverse just will not shift up. The transfer case works perfectly as well.
I managed to change my TV cable. On my 2wd the cable housing is held on by 1 bolt. It was a diificult job - had to do it all by feel. Take the bolt out and pull the housing up out of the tranny gently. As it comes out, you'll see a rod emerge thats hooked to the cable end. Unhook the cable end from the rod. It helps if you can grab the rod with a pair of needle nose vise-grips to hold it up while you hook on the new cable. Only problem I have - my new cable assembly is not sealing for some reason, and, the truck dumped a bunch of tranny fluid on the garage floor. Suspect there's supposed to be an o ring on the thing that wasn't included with the new one. I did drive the truck before it pucked all its fluid, and, the cable change didn't solve the problem.

Regards:
Oldengineer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts