S-10 Forum banner

2.8, 4.3? Bah! 3800 for me

5K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  SummerWolf 
#1 ·
Just thought I drop this out there. I have a 1989 GMC S-15 Jimmy with a GM 3800 Series I installed. Turns out that the 3800 has the same bell housing as the 2.8, so after making an oil pan, chopping the frame, and moving just about everything else under the hood, the 3800 is running nicely in my Jimmy. Oh yeah, this is no small undertaking. It took me about 2 months just to wire up the MPI - I took the time to integrate the Jimmy's harness with one out of an Oldsmobile. The other fun part of the project is making the exhaust manifolds work right.

It can be done!

I will get around to making a webpage for my truck sometime this winter, but feel free to ask me questions if you're thinking about attempting this.

-Al
tobert@mailcity.com

#6 ·
3800 < 4300 < 5300, but still cool

2xs said:
Sorry dude, there is NO substute for cubic inches.

A 4.3 would have been better (IN MY OPINION).

I am thinking about installing the new 5.3L Vortec in my ZR2 when the warranty runs out. Basically a transplant from a 4X Silverado.
You're absolutely correct, but this was a really fun hack that will probably get better gas mileage. Also, the 3800 fits the 60degree v6 bellhousing, so a 4x4 person could upgrade without the hassle of finding a (more expensive) 90degree 700r4.

Also, these motors are a dime a dozen because the junkyards can't move them. They're very stable and reliable engines. You could go get a donor car at a local auto auction for a couple hundred dollars. Then (mostly) all you have to invest is time.

More than anything, though, I just wanted to do a cool hack and I couldn't find where anybody had done this before.

I will be posting pics on http://www.tobert.org in a week or so.

Later.

#8 ·
3.8L or 3800.....That's what newer Camaros and Firechickens are running, aren't they? If so, they're comming out of the factory with 200hp! (in the F body cars) That's more then the 4.3L engines. (Rated power anyway) :( A chip, intake and a freeflowing exhaust sure does alot for those engines too. Sure got my buddies Camaro movin' good. Later.

#12 ·
so have i, whats your point?

#13 ·
BlueZQ8 said:
Yeah, that's the engine they come with. I don't know about the sound of the exhaust, but I DO know that they are rated higher then the 4.3L, powerwise. A friend of mine did intake, exhaust and chip or programmer (I don't remember which), but my truck wouldn't hang with it. Later.
yep, 200hp and I think 225ft/lbs. One plus of the 3800 is a much better intake manifold and Multi-Point injection.

#14 ·
id like one of the new 3.4's outta the malibus mpi, obdII, and a fairly straitforward bolt in, being the same block as a 2.8

#15 ·
Hmmm, how hard would it be to convert a 2.2 to a 3.8??? or should I just blow up my truck now???

it is a 98 and I love it, and I'm just looking for a bigger engine AFTER i blow up the 2.2

Caleb

#17 ·
umm, that wasnt really the point of this thread. SBC swaps have been done, and at this point are probably easier due to the premade parts available. If i was doing a swap, id probably go 350 as well, but i admire someone who is willing to take a challenge and do something different

#18 ·
2.2->3800

Before I start, I'd like to clarify that a 3.8L is _not_ a 3800. GM significantly changed the 3.8 to create the 3800, AFAIK.

Now, for a 2.2 swap, it depends on how much work you want to do. If you look at my (really poor for now) website for my truck at http://www.tobert.org/jimmy, I list many of th modifications I had to make.

I believe the 2.2 still uses the same bellhousing as the 2.5 4cyl or 2.8 v6, so the 3800 will bolt up. If you have a stick, you will have to have your flywheel modified at a machine shop to bolt up to the 3800. This is probably a great way to go since I had all kinds of trouble with the torque -> flexplate connection on mine. Turns out, the 2.8 flexplate 'reaches' back about 1/2" to the torque, so my torque ended up being too far away. I ended up making shims from 1/2" steel and bolting/welding them to the flexplate. Seems to be working so far, but this is just my daily driver so it doesn't get stressed out. Another solution for the 6L60E/TH700R4 would be to get the guts, inlcuding pump & torque, from the 90degree version of the trans and try to put them into the smaller casing. I don't know if this will work, but it would give you the bigger torque converter and make up for that clearance problem. You'll also get a stronger transmission.

As for wiring, I started by cutting all of the crap out of each harness: Cut (almost) all of the engine control stuff out of your 2.2 harness, then cut all of the accessory stuff out of the 3800 harness (HVAC, charging, gauge connections, etc.). After that, I spent about 2-3 weeks examining diagrams and harnesses while splicing it all together. I highly recommend soldering all connections - it'll save a lot of grief later. Also, do not put the protective wrap on the harness until you get the thing running, or you'll be peeling it back off to find the bugs. I got lucky and mine worked the first try, but you'll find all kinds of additional stuff you need to add.

Well, I'll stop blathering for now. Eventually, I plan to fill out as much as I can remember about this on my website. Check in January some time and I should have it done.

-Al

#19 ·
Ok well, could someone explain the difference between a 3800 engine and the 3.8???

I mean, is it a different intake design or what? what are the specs of the 3800 compared to the 3.8???

I have a stickshift 2.2, if I do any type of swap I will be getting the posi, I already have 3.73 gears......I'll definitely upgrade the whole drivetrain if I get a bigger motor down the road.....I have 42,000 on the truck now, I bought it with 25,700 6 months ago so I expect the engine to have 100,000+++ easy before its paid off, right now I'm debating of saving money for engine swap, or saving money and totally tearing the 2.2 down and throwing on the STS turbo, or custom turbo if thats not out, and boring it out throwing in arias forged pistons, titanium push rods, mantapart 62 MM TB and matched intake manifold, custom RKsport cam with appropriate valves/lifters/springs, and everything blueprinted and balanced together.....I think for a 2.2, and with the saving I'm doing now, its feasible, and I know it would be a waste down the line....but.....BUILT UP 2.2....would be cool, or this 3.8, 3800 engine swap.....I'm just thinking down the road, I know the engine will last at least like 125,000 without rebuild AT LEAST!! But I'd do all this once it clocked 100,000 just because.....I need power and couldn't wait any longer, LOL

Caleb

#21 ·
3.8 vs 3800

3.8L = turd
3800 cc's = bulletproof

the metric measurements mean that they have the same displacement, and the two engines even have the same heritage (3800 is an evolution of the 3.8).

But, the 3800 has many improvements that live mostly in the top end of the engine. The most noticeable is the MPFI, but other things changed as well, esp. the quality of manufacturing. Personally, I've had nothing but trouble with the 3.8's, but the 3800 has been bulletproof. Another change is that the 3800 (series I) was designed for FWD only, so my particular conversion required modification of oil pickup screen and oil pan; a special mount that also attached to the bellhousing bolt on the passenger side was also required for lack of mount holes in the block. It's possible that GM also changed the orientation of the block from 90degree to 60. Either way, the 3800 uses the smaller bellhousing like the 2.5/2.8L and the 3.8 uses the same bellhousing as the 4.3/350/305.

One thing that would make the whole changeover much easier would be if the heads and/or intake from the 3800 would fit the 3.8L block. I haven't tried this, and I have many doubts. If that works, the larger 700R4 or even a turbo 350 transmission could be used along with easier exhaust (manifolds already set up for RWD) and (maybe) no need to modify the oil pan.

-Al

#22 ·
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.......hmmm, I'm going to look into this more, but I think I might just do the tear down and complete build up of the 2.2 after 100,000 miles.......yeah, probably, no new wires or anything LOL

Caleb

#23 ·
SummerWolf said:
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.......hmmm, I'm going to look into this more, but I think I might just do the tear down and complete build up of the 2.2 after 100,000 miles.......yeah, probably, no new wires or anything LOL

Caleb
Thats nice of ya to rebuld the 2.2 to sell it for your 350. j/j do what ya can do man.

#24 ·
differences

There are lot differences between the 3800 and the 3.8. The 3800 is an evolution of the 3.8, we would all be much happier with our 4.3's if GM had done the same for them. See, the vortech 4.3 was only really a change to the top of the motor, MPFI and intake manifold. For the 3.8 to the 3800 the whole motor changed. The stroke and bore were changed, and all the internals were updated to be lighter and create less friction-this is where most of the power and mileage increases came from over the old 3.8.

Personally, I would love to take a supercharged series II 3800 out of a Grand Prix GTP or Regal GS and shove it in my S-10. I am almost positive it would fit too, because GM uses 4L60-E in both my S-10 and in the V6 camaros/firebirds.

But for that matter, an LS1 would be great too.:D

Nat

#26 ·
dyno numbers

I just remembered a hot rod article:

The superchared series II 3800 made 191 hp and 240 lbft of torque across a huge RPM range, but the best part is this- a 360 Dakota R/T made almost the exact same numbers, but at a slightly lower and narrower RPM range! So slap in that GTP motor and go R/T hunting! That 360's power curve drops like a stone at 4000 RPM - right in the meat of the GTP power band! A 3:42 or 3:73 rear end would be a great compliment to that motor.

I have driven a '97 GTP and can say it was an awesome experience. It is a front wheel drive car and it just sat their and made a haze (no traction control :evilg: ) 100MPH came up about where my truck would be shifting into 3rd at around 70 mph:(

Nat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.