S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I am basing this post on the 305 only because it is free. Otherwise i would get a 350. So please don't whore this post telling me to forget the 305 and get a 350. I'm just looking for some technical information and some suggestions.

I've got a 2.8L that i will be removing in the spring. I have two complete 305 set ups available to me for free (engine, tranny, accessories). All the swap components required.
My question is, what sort of improvements would i be looking at by doing a direct swap? (2.8l stock to 305 stock)?
My next question is, what would the best bolt on mods be for the 305 that would give me a few extra ponies?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
which 305 long block are you using???? which transmission

the 305 will give a difference in power equal to or better than a 4.3 when taking weight into consideration which will be a big jump over the 2.8

boltons intake, Pullies maybe a blower nitrous? depends on what motor you have..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good poin Hutch.
I am not quite certain yet. There are 2 complete set ups i can choose from, i believe one is a carbed 305, and the other might be a TPI. As for tranny's, i'm not sure whether it they are both 700R4, or TH350, or one of each.
I'll have to find out tonight. Does it make a big difference between tranny's though for bolt on mod's to the engine?

Thanks

·
IMBLOWN
977 Posts
If you've got TWO engines and trannies to choose from, I would find out for sure what vehicles they all came out of and the mileage on each before you get started...A smogger 305 out of a pickup wheezes on like 8:1 compression, whereas a 305 out of a Camaro would be 9.5:1 and yeilds greater overall performace...I would also suggest that you use the serpentine setup if available and definately utilize a 700R4 over a turbo350; If available of course...

As far as the fuel injection goes; it is very nice to have, but can really increase the difficulty of your swap...Anything can be done with time and money of course; but for simplicity, a carb is the way to go...

If your existing truck is an automatic your swap will be one of the easiest that can be done...Even a stock 305 is a MAJOR difference from a 4.3L or 2.8L truck...(I know because I've owned them all at one time.) The obvious difference is displacement and TORQUE...

The headers and dual exhaust required for the swap will be a major improvement over a "stock" 305 engine...Throw an intake/manifold a K and N filter and a curve kit in the distributor and flog the wee out of it!!!

A properly built 305 is no slouch, I've outran a 2002 Lightning with mine...(not much to brag about, but HEY it was legit)
Best of luck with your swap man...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input.
I know that one of the set ups came out of a van, and the other one is out of one of the parsienne's? (spelling) so i'm not sure which would be better. One of the tranny's is spoken for, so that leaves me with 2 other ones to choose from, but i'm not sure which ones they are.
What is a curve kit? I've never heard of that one before.

Thanks.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Curve kit is/are replacement weights and springs that control mechanical advance in the distributor.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not sure if you would consider it a bolt on, but a mild cam, intake, and carb would be a nice power increase. The cam and intake on a 305 are WAY undersized for emissions requirements. A mild cam with an intake can get you 65 HP easy. Thats how bad they really are from the factory. Thats about 250HP which is decent for a driver.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok,
i found out some more information.
the engine i am getting is a 305 carbed with a TH350 tranny. The tranny has lock up on it, so that is sort of good.
There's approx. 140,000 km on the engine, so i figured when i take it out of the other car it is in, i'd tear it down replace the rings and seals, possibly add a .430 cam and lifters, a edelbrock performer intake, new timing chain, and a 500cfm edelbrock carb.
What do you guys think of this set up? I've sort of put this together based on getting several peoples opinions, and speaking with some of the guys at the local performance shop.
Let me know what you guys think. I am curious as to how much HP i'd get out of a set up like this. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
I've been warned to stay away from the th350's with the lockup. Your motor doesn't look to wild so it will probably hold up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what was the reasoning to stay away from them?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what about the rest of the set up? What sort of HP do you guys think i'll get.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm.
What size cam do you think i could go with, without getting too extreme? as for carbureters, the guy at the performance shop suggested going with a 500cfm instead of the 600cfm, as he thought the 600cfm would be a bit over kill for a 305 and would be more suited for a 350
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
281 Posts
218/224 dur @ 050, .462/.469 lift, but its a waste without aftermarket heads. I believe you can go one step down without machine the stock heads. Just do your homework.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Are you using centerbolt style heads? The better factory casting # is 416(last three digits under the valvecovers). The centerbolt heads are not any good for performance. I'd probably use a Comp cams 252H or 260H. Get the 1404 or 1406 carb. 1406 is only a little more and will work for bigger motor if you decide the 305 isn't enough.

·
IMBLOWN
977 Posts
Reedz, do a search for my past posts on the boards...I've got pics and specs of my whole engine/tranny build on here somewhere...The cam I've got pulls 16" at idle and is very streetable but makes excellent power in this smaller cube engine...

I've ran TWO dyno programs on the computer, and they both say I'm putting out around 290hp and 365lb/ft of torque...The only major differences between your engine and mine is gonna be compression, (I'm at 9.5:1) the fact that I have larger valves installed on the intake side, and roller rockers...

As far as a carb, I've got a 625 Demon Jr. on mine...Runs excellent, and has unreal throttle response...If you have a vaccum secondary carb, you can "tune in" whatever size carb your engine REALLY requires by changing out the secondary springs...So you could have a 750cfm carb and run a black spring and be cool, then you could run a yellow or something when you upgrade to a 350 or whatever.......

Best of luck bro....

·
Registered
281 Posts
What kind of head work have you done james? I'd like to see your recipe for pumping 300HP through stock heads. That would have saved me some cash.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts