S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does not having a catilytic converter take away power, not that a 2.5 has much power as it is.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Nope, it adds power, because of less backpressure.... The only thing your cat is supposed to do, is get really hot to burn up little particles of whatever California doesn't want in their air.... At least that's the best way I know how to explain it... Oh, and it's also a tool for automakers to make more craploads of money off of us, since they're expensive as hell to replace, once they go bad and make your car stink and lose power even more than usual....

In short, hack it off... If cops around your area are the type to get under your truck to verify that you have a catalytic converter, just go to a cheapie parts store and get a short Cherry Bomb muffler... Paint it black, with hi-temp paint, and BAM! Your new "catalytic converter".... Helps keep your truck mellow sounding, and fools the average po-po.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks man, so if i remove the cat its not going to be that loud?

·
Registered
142 Posts
When I had mine i took off the cat, ran 2 1/4 straight pipe with a flowmaster and i did not like it. She had good low end torque but the high rpms suffer. It was also very loud. People think *the less back pressure the better*, ok, take off your exhaust and run just the manifold. Back pressure at higher rpms help keep raw fuel from dumping into the exhaust. Which causes back firing and to me for driving its annoying. Okay, the 2.5 isnt an *rpm* motor but u aint going nowhere if u aint hitting those revs. Personally, I did not like my truck without the cat, i loved the throttle response and low end, but i missed the higher rpms and the noise was ahhhhh terrible. After this I just used a small universal cat from advanced auto, and a thrush turbo muffler and i loved it! I guess its personal preference, but id leave it on, jus get a lil better one. roy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks man i think i might keep the cat depending, if im going to do something i may as well do it right. thanks again. jon

·
Registered
125 Posts
JUST put a low-restrict new cat on today. The sensors still work too. They're $90-125 installed. It's about 2/3 size of my original (91) which had collapsed.

Truck runs MUCH better. Even accelerates upgrade in 5th gear. Smoothed out the engine too.

I went ahead with a turbo muffler while it was on the rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts