S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cool, Tight, & STRONG....
1,942 Posts
what does that 4 tech mean is it better than others?
Actually, the Iron Duke Section, in Wikipedia, claims that the air cleaner sticker, that is OE, is wrong. We all know that the sticker says "4Tech", but it should say: Tech4...

It is the name of the Iron Duke that had a TBI, beginning in 1982. (quoting Wiki)

I have tried to find out the "real" reason behind the engine series name, and the best I can do is this:

The "4Tech" was/is an Engineering Design Study. Considering the first year released (1982) it was fuel-injected and OBD1 compliant and designed from the get-go as a lightweight, long lasting, economy engine. At the time, it was unique in many ways, such as the 4" bore.
They do last a very long time, built during a time when 50K on an engine was about the limit...

Anybody else??:cool:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i always wanted to know the differance because my buddies 88 doesnt have it on his and a couple other people didnt either.. i mean is it more special than a none one

·
Registered
122 Posts
its basically trying to say that it has a "Vortec" "4tech", head because only the vin A motors have the sticker and it came with a better flowing head than the vin E motors. Its just a sticker trying to make a 4cylinder motor sound awesome. just my .02cents

·
Wire Splicin Fool :-)
8,692 Posts
my 87 code E had a 4 tech sticker and it was code E, I wonder why they call it the Iron Duke? is that a John Wayne Refernece?

Edit- Just checked Wiki and it says the 91-93 vin U/R motors had timing chain!

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
its kinda like v-tech for honda, just a name to put on to make it seem faster.

·
The Eye is watching you!!
963 Posts
LOL funny thread.

the chain-driven timing system was for the FWD engines to make them fit better.

Iron duke because it's all iron and is slightly better than other engines of the time but not really special. like a duke is better than the townspeople but not really noteworthy as far as nobles go.

·
Super Moderator
20,515 Posts
another word for VTEC, in american language :p

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
found out what 4-tech really means.

the designers were on a short time frame to make a gas saving engine to put in the s10.

they spent 4 hours with old technology to make a slow engine you can barely upgrade without doing custom work. and slapped a 4-tech sticker on to signify they spent FOUR hours with no TECHnology

thus 4-tech

i had one, it was ok, 5 speed with 3.73 gears and i got about 19/27, my 4.3l blazer auto gets 16/17.5 so in town its not far from the 4cyl with more power.
kinda sucks with the gas prices now, babying it and driving minimul, i spend $25 a week, in my old 1st gen i could cruise around all the time, drive 20 miles to the hotspot for parties, and pay $25 a week if i drove till ig ot bored

·
Boozebag
9,238 Posts
is there any where on this site where is can get information on the 4tech, tech 4 engine?
This thread has mold growing on it...

The 4tech engine is a Pontiac built 2.5 litre (151 CID) iron block and head power plant - also know as the "Iron Duke". It was built from 1982 to 1994. (maybe later in some industrial applications) It was built with TBI fuel system from 1982 on, but carbureted examples could be found in Jeeps and industrial applications and early X cars.
GM built another 4 cylinder engine that has been confused with this unit on too many occasions. The 153 CID engine was basically a 230 CID 6 cylinder minus 2 cylinders. These engines were known as the "Stovebolt", NOT an Iron Duke. Early Chevy engines used fasteners that were very similar to bolts found on common wood and coal stoves...

There were many slight changes over the years, head and block, and this engine was used in just about anything that rolled.
The last engine produced was called the "A" code unit, it was the most advanced of the line and the "A" came from the 8th digit in the VIN on vehicles they were used in.

Hope this sort of helps.

Confucius say: Iron Duke same as 4 Tech

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been looking for a Chevy 4cyl engine to put in a small rat rod roadster. this engine from an s10 seemed to fit the bill, with changing over to side draft carbs to get the old style look and putting a 700r4 behind it to get it up and down the road.(bad knees) but have found very little info on the small bell housing 700, and the engine. seems like it may be another blind alley

·
Boozebag
9,238 Posts
You are on the right track. Any Firebird 2.8, 3.1 or 3.4 V6 or many 2WD S10s that have the 700R4 (not 4.3) will fit your need. The FWD (Metric) small bolt pattern bell housing will work on the 2.5.

Webers... that is a whole other issue. I am not aware of anyone who makes an intake manifold for Weber sides - for this engine. You would probably have to fab something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts