S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's all needed and required to do a 3.4l swap from a 95 Camaro into my 91 s10 2.5 l auto. Also wondering why a fwd 3.4 wouldn't work as they're much cheaper and as far as I know are the same bell housing pattern?

·
time to get cereal
2,250 Posts
Are you going to stay auto? I would look for a 4L60e from whatever year ECU you are using if you plan on staying automatic. You most likely have a three speed behind the 2.5L?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping to keep the trans it has currently but as it has the same bell housing if I were to swap out trans I might as well switch to the sbc pattern and do that. From what time researched I need mounts and intake and throttle body from a 2.8

·
time to get cereal
2,250 Posts
Pretty sure you can bolt the top end of a FWD engine onto the RWD block. I've seen it done on here.

All 60 degree V6 engines use the small corporate bellhousing pattern. Same as the iron duke and the Cavalier engine (used in the 2nd gen S10s)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Once you put the 2.8 mounts where they go it's pretty much a bolt-in swap. Of course as with any swap you will need the proper radiator,trans. etc. Most use their 2.8 intake / tbi but a few have use the 3.4 FI and some carbs. You probably aren't going to find a step by step from 4 cyl to 3.4 but as swaps go it couldn't be much easier. I swap from a 2.8 to a 3.4 in a first gen. and the power improvement was very noticeable...120 vs 160 hp and you can add the 4.3 tbi and cat-back for a little more hp.

·
the new guy
659 Posts
the 2.2 from the cavalier has the bolt holes for front or rear wheel drive motor mounts. if it ends up being to much of a pain to go to the 6 cylinder, the 2.2 will go in from another s10.

this site lists everything you need to know about the cavalier/s10 motors, as far as swap and mixing parts

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2000/07/rebuilding-the-chevy-2-2l-engine/

·
time to get cereal
2,250 Posts
the 2.2 from the cavalier has the bolt holes for front or rear wheel drive motor mounts. if it ends up being to much of a pain to go to the 6 cylinder, the 2.2 will go in from another s10.

this site lists everything you need to know about the cavalier/s10 motors, as far as swap and mixing parts

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2000/07/rebuilding-the-chevy-2-2l-engine/

Only 94+ 2.2L engines have RWD motor mount bosses, other than the '83-'84 2.0L used in the S10.

·
Boozebag
9,025 Posts
It's easy if you have a donor truck with a 2.8.
As was said earlier, you would need all of the 2.8 stuff from a donor. Motor mounts, front accessories and if you run the TBI (not recommended) you will need the wiring harness and ECU.
This is my 3.4 out of a 95 Camaro set up in a major way. Runs low 14s with a 5 speed and 4.10 rear gear

Holley 390, Eddy intakes, huge cam, roller rockers, Mallory distributor, headers, e fan, 3" exhaust. Is that enough stuff? :haha:

Your transmission is a direct bolt up to a 3.4. IIRC, the torque converter bolts to the 3.4 flex plate.

You don't already have an engine, no? Try Upulls. I bought mine for $125 with a core engine. Regular yards are huge $$
You can also bag an engine mount set for a 2.8. You could get away with the 2.5 radiator with some magic hose plumbing.
Post more if you actually go for it. There are several forum members who could make a list of parts you'll need for the swap.
I went with a carb since it was the easiest way to do the swap.

Oh, and BTW, the A/C blows ice cold and the power steering/brakes work well.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
MadMax pretty much has it. You'll be changing everything in the engine bay that is different between the 2.5 and the 2.8 to put in the RWD 3.4. It would be easiest if you either had a 2.8 donor truck, or had access to one (or several) at a local wreckers so that you can get all of the parts that are needed.

The FWD 3.4, AKA 3400, are very different where it comes to bolting one into a vehicle. For starters, the engine mount bosses are completely different and would require custom made mounts. If you successfully got the engine mounts done, you'd then need to tackle the oil pan, since it's completely different and would interfere with the cross member. This requires cutting and welding the aluminum oil pan for cross member clearance. Once you have that solved you need tackle the starter location. The FWD engines have the starter on the opposite side from the RWDs. This can be dealt with by cutting the trans bellhousing for starter nose clearance, and then using a 14mm spacer between the engine block and starter to use the RWD flywheel/flexplate. This works as long as you're not installing this in a 4WD... I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this in my own swap... lol So no you have the engine bolted in, the oil pan fitting around the crossmember, the starter engaging, next up is the exhaust issues... The 3400 uses a different bolt spacing and port shape than the RWD 3.4 does, and requires modifying a set headers to fit properly at best, or make your set. Then there's the belt driven accessories. The front cover can be swapped to retain your clutch fan, but this even needs modification, drilling out a few bolt holes and cutting a tab off, then there's the issues of the brackets for alternator, power steering pump, AC, etc that all bolt to the front of the engine/heads won't, because the bolt locations have changed just enough that either modification of the brackets is needed or making new ones. Then there's engine management, fuel lines, coolant hoses, etc that all needed to be dealt with.

So the 3400 is not really a quick or easy swap. Some of us like the engines enough that we put in the effort to swap them. I had a Frankenstein 60 degree V6 in my Jimmy years ago, that used a gen 1 block, gen 2 internals and gen 3 (3100) top end, and added a turbo for fun. When the Jimmy goes back together it's getting a 3500 that I currently have installed in my Datsun.

·
time to get cereal
2,250 Posts
You could use a T5 or a NV1500 from a 2.2L, the starter is on the same side as a FWD.

An S10 2.8L has the starter on the passenger side? I did not know that.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,295 Posts
Best thing about 3.4 swaps is that they wrench like stock! Cause they basically are!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of your advice everyone, a buddy of mine is selling his old 283 from.his impala so I think I'll drop that in. I found an adapter plate online to adapt the 2.5L bell to the SBC style just need to get torque converter / flexplate sorted.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Skip the adapter plate and just swap out the trans. The small pattern trans is not as strong as the large pattern trans.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts