S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 s10 2.2l.. I was driving along, approaching a red light and the truck just stalls. I swear I heard a little noise from the engine bay like a thud sound but more mechanical as it shut off... Anyway, it turns over just fine, but no engine fire at all. Just turns over and over. I towed it to a shop and they told me it has not compression.

So from what I know (which isn't tons), it could be a timing chain, right? What else could it be. I couldn't get any answers from the shop. Long weekend is this weekend so I was thinking of fixing it myself in our parking lot. What do you all think?

The shop quoted me 3 hours to pull apart the front end so that they know what could be wrong with it... So not to sure if I want to spend that kind of money without it even being repaired yet.

Truck has 167000km on engine. 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like a busted timing chain to me. And here's why;

The shop can't get any compression because the valves are not being actuated. The cam (and hence the valves) is run by the timing chain. A broken timing chain on an interference motor creates even more issues. Bent valves, scored pistons and possible cracks in the head can result.

Bummer...

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
broken cam is another possibility and does happen.

blown head gasket too..

never seen a bad timing chain on a 2.2L... even after closer to 300k miles on them. they are tensioned and have slipper guides like the toyota 22R engines did,, but dont fail like the yota ones did commonly., and if they do fail its surely SUPER rare

the HG failing is the most common on these 2.2l engines, by far.

im not too sure about this shop you found

if they wont talk to you and you cant get any answers from them then they sound kinda shady and trying to pull a fast one on you maybe

id bring an outside person to see your truck and test diagnose it

·
Registered
101 Posts
never seen a bad timing chain on a 2.2L... even after closer to 300k miles on them. they are tensioned and have slipper guides like the toyota 22R engines did,, but dont fail like the yota ones did commonly., and if they do fail its surely SUPER rare
That's very reassuring! :D Wish the guy would come back. The symptoms sound like a broken timing chain but your post makes me wonder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.