S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay - i wanna get a faster truck - period...is there a GOOD, WORKING, RELIABLE turbo kit available for the 2.2L S10?? Or is my best bet to get a 4.3L w/ 5spd donor and supercharge it? :) (i found a 4.3L 5spd for $2900 - 100k+ miles - that a good price?)

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
big no on the 4.3 swap....... it would be a major pain in the ass. There are kits coming out very soon for 3g's and will put you into the high 14's

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why a big no on the 4.3L swap? it's a donor vehicle and i'd be able to pick up all the needed computer stuff etc etc...

·
Registered
463 Posts
for the 4.3 swap it would be cheaper to sell your truck and buy one with a 6. the turbo kit that is out right now isn't all that great but it works and put out about 190hp at the wheels of goofy guys truck. i think seans kit will be a huge improvement but he is just getting started on the development.

and if you have any questions about the turbo s10 kit i can help you out

alan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but where can i find a 4.3L Vortec V6 with a 5spd tranny preferably ext cab, and a ZQ8 suspention system? :-/ in fort wayne, IN

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
look at your local dealers........

·
Squids suck
138 Posts
If you want good reliable HP, swap in a mild V8. You could do it for less than the donor truck you talking about. And if you do it all yourself you could even have a fresh V8 for less than that.

I have done the V8 swap in the past and it's very easy. You could even find an LT1 that's the same year as your truck and a lot of the wiring will plug up. Do some research on it.

I personally would like to turbo my current 97' 2.2l S-10, but the simple truth is that there isn't any real "kits" out there yet and most of the turbo 2.2's are turning out to be VERY unreliable. Even if you reasearch it and build your own turbo system you'll be looking at around only 200hp unless you really put some money into the motor and turbo setup.

I understand a lot of people want to be different than the typical "fast" S-10, but unfortunately a turbo 2.2 is not a reliable setup right now since there is almost no backing for it. You can spend $3000 on a turbo, get 200hp, and be different; or you can spend that on a V8, get twice the HP, get as much as 30 mpg, and be very reliable.

Just depends on what your priorities are for the truck.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Yeah my kit is a one off custom of a custom. Its kinda confusing now where all the various components came from and where I decied the old ones were not needed. But my kit does on a dyno add 90 hp. stock dyno was just under 100 hp at the wheels. I never got a chance to put in on a track before I was made an offer to sell so I took it off. Im sure itll only be a matter of time till the buyer installs it and gets it to the track and brags a whole lot about it.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
LOL @ goofy guy, hopefully he'll be first in line when the track opens up!

Anyways, what turbo 2.2 are turning out to be unreliable? Name them. cause that really isn't the case....

Caleb

·
Squids suck
138 Posts
SummerWolf said:
LOL @ goofy guy, hopefully he'll be first in line when the track opens up!

Anyways, what turbo 2.2 are turning out to be unreliable? Name them. cause that really isn't the case....

Caleb
I have 2 friends with them. One eventually took his off because of numerous problems, the other still has his, but his truck is constantly down. I have also seen quite a few posts on here of people having problems.

I'm sure you can make them reliable, for the right amount of cash, or as more and more options become available for them.

You haven't had any problems with your turbo kit?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have that kit and haven't had any problems that kept me from driving it after I got it set up (not counting air suspension issues). what kind of problems have your friends been having, since all of my problems have been my fault. mainly the routing of air lines.

Alan

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
uh, yeah....most be your two friends, cause everyone with a dime I've talked to and a lot of the cavvy guys running turbo aren't having any problems at all until they start pushing the stock internals...

Caleb

·
Squids suck
138 Posts
Not sure of all the probs, but I know the one that took it off kept blowing head gaskets.

Aren't the stock internals only good for the low 200 hp area?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
head gaskets mean he was boosting too much, next.....internals on cavvys are generally getting to mid-high 200's before blowing....all depends on tuning

and alan has my original kit that I bought off of turbos-10.com
with the 16G he said he gets boost at about 3200 RPMS and it pulls pretty damn well

Goofy guy dyno'd a cobbled together kit with turbos-10.com parts and made 190 something hp and never had a problem with it. 99super10 is running the same kit 325c2 (alan) is and hasn't had a problem with it, except the cheap materials used to make the actual kit...hes now starting his own business which will most likely offer us the best turbocharging option.

Next?

Caleb

·
Squids suck
138 Posts
I know the head gasket is caused by the high boost, but he never ran more than 7 psi. I don't know what conclussion he finally came to as the problem.

I guess it comes down to the amount of power you want then. I don't consider 200 hp impressive. I would like to go with a turbo setup also, but I wouldn't do it unless I could get closer to 300 hp minimum. Also, if you consider cost per reliable HP, you can almost double the power w/ the V8.

Maybe when someone offers an affordable engine kit that will hold up to decent boost and power levels I will consider the turbo again.

One other question, I saw were one guy with a turbo said he can't run A/C. Are you guys running A/C?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
yeah.

If you're looking for common, go to the V8 forum....get all your issues about swaps out there, we don't wanna hear about it here.

250 HP could motivate these trucks to low 14's in theory.....thats pretty quick out of a 4 banger truck that still gets 28-30 something MPG when driven conservatively....and V8 swaps cost a lot of money.....more than a turbo will...

I looked into a 97 LT1 and T56 and it was going to end up costing me over 6,000 every part I needed was in that price though, and to be emissions legal in my state I had to go with a 98+ block (but figured I could find a way to make a 97 pass) Theres a lot to think about, but take the V8/V6 swap to another forum, we hear that shit day in and day out and hardly ever does someone act on it.

Your friend had a badly tuned truck if he was only running 7 lbs and blowing head gaskets.

Caleb

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
the only person not running ac is blades, and he custom built his own manifold that placed the turbo where the AC compressor was

Caleb

·
Squids suck
138 Posts
SummerWolf said:
yeah.

If you're looking for common, go to the V8 forum....get all your issues about swaps out there, we don't wanna hear about it here.

250 HP could motivate these trucks to low 14's in theory.....thats pretty quick out of a 4 banger truck that still gets 28-30 something MPG when driven conservatively....and V8 swaps cost a lot of money.....more than a turbo will...

I looked into a 97 LT1 and T56 and it was going to end up costing me over 6,000 every part I needed was in that price though, and to be emissions legal in my state I had to go with a 98+ block (but figured I could find a way to make a 97 pass) Theres a lot to think about, but take the V8/V6 swap to another forum, we hear that shit day in and day out and hardly ever does someone act on it.

Your friend had a badly tuned truck if he was only running 7 lbs and blowing head gaskets.

Caleb
I did a V8 swap on my 84' for 2k, and that included rebuilding the engine. I don't know what turbo kit you can find for less than 2K. And then you can compare HP.....

The guy asked for opinions and I am giving mine. I'm trying to consider all sides, and that requires me asking questions. If you don't like that then don't answer them. Your attitude shows that you're baised towards turbos, which means that your just going to defend them regardless if you are right or wrong.

I thought that you would be a good person to ask questions, but I guess you're just going to try to sell me a turbo.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts