S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about 90% done with this build so far im just having a few problems, for some reason it bogs down under any kind of boost whether it be 2 lbs or 10 lbs. and my p/s pump makes this squeeling noise when its gets around 2500 rpm like old straight cut gears made in old tranny's. Ive already replaced it, it got a little better but still doing it. Also the pump fluid is really hot. IF anyone has some advice it would be awesome.

Anyway heres a list of parts that i can think of so far:
1 5/8 jbends and 2.5 inch u bends from jegs
t3/t4 turbo with adjustable wastegate set at 5 psi for now
ceramic coating on header and turbine housing
battery relocation kit from jegs
dual 1500cfm electric fans
180* thermostat
treadstone intercooler
aluminum charge pipe
flanges from jgs precision turbo
vortech 12:1 FMU (save the "your retarded" comments please im about 2 secs away from buying injectors and hp tuners
derale transcooler (for p/s pump)
lots of heat wrap and fittings and hoses and lines

Feel free to ask any questions
Cs extreme has been very helpful annd i have to give credit to idriz for most of the header design

if i can ever figure out how to post pics i will.

Attachments

·
2.2L turbo
357 Posts
Re: Turbo 2.2

sweet another turbo 2.2 it seems like there popping up everywhere now :),as for bogging down u might be running lean "get it tuned" u will also need a wideband o2 sensor iam using the aem ugeo clean and simple no extra computers needed and is comparable with hptuners,,for the bad news its gona cost u $250 now at jegs they raised there price from 150 :(

http://www.jegs.com/p/AEM/761747/10002/-1/10625

good luck, ohh and i also like the header :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

ok update. Im retarded and hooked the fmu up backwards because i didnt recieve any instructions with it. It runs like a different car now only at 4 pounds of boost but im still leaning out past 50% throttle. I also have an air leak in the charge pipe. a few odds and ends to fix and it should be complete. My friend does tuning in his spare time to i think its time for new injectors anda wideband.
To all those considering an fmu, i actually tried it and its only good to like 6 lbs of boost and i would go with an adjustable one. I went with the 12:1 from vortech and its crap. IMO

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

just curious is that a check valve on the blow off valve?
no its supposedly an air filter. came with the bov so i put it on there.

What kind of fans and I/C are you guys running. Im having an a/c problem it may be because the i/c is too thick and blocking half the radiator and condensor and im not gettin enough airflow or i just got hosed on ebay efans. I got 2 setup as pullers and my compressor lines are hot, pressures are good and it not blowin cold air.

·
rb25det inside :D
498 Posts

i run the stock fan ;) my ic is going to be where my front license plate is.Your set up looks sweet tho :D On the running lean part i ran mine the other day and have not yet put the adjustable fuel pressure regulator on and my truck ran good, after 4k it really came alive and at only 5 psi. I am still going to put the regulator in and make sure everything is safe, just thought i would tell how mine runs.

·
boosted 2.2L
2,324 Posts

i have a 180 stat which was enough with the flex a lite fan
now larger radiator and ac condensor is out of the way
my intercooler is 6" tall and 3.5" thick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

update: put in a 180* thermostat and the ford taurus fan and it runs really cool and the a/c blows cold. I got new 42# injectors from racetronix and i have an smt6 coming from perfect power.
For an extra 75 they give you a wiring diagram and a basic map to get you started with your exact application. Im gonna run a separate 2 bar map sensor that tells the injectors to kick in more fuel when it sees boost.
A friend of mine tunes cars in his spare time and has a wideband so when i get everything squared away ill post some pics and vids.

·
498 Posts

update: put in a 180* thermostat and the ford taurus fan and it runs really cool and the a/c blows cold. I got new 42# injectors from racetronix and i have an smt6 coming from perfect power.
For an extra 75 they give you a wiring diagram and a basic map to get you started with your exact application. Im gonna run a separate 2 bar map sensor that tells the injectors to kick in more fuel when it sees boost.
A friend of mine tunes cars in his spare time and has a wideband so when i get everything squared away ill post some pics and vids.
how much u pay for the smt6? im debaiting on a piggy back or just going with a stand alone.
Cant wait to see how everything works :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I was going to go with a standalone but in order to get that to work youd have to set it up so youd have one ecm controlling the engine and one controlling the rest of the truck to get everything to work, and then youd have to sepnd the time to dial everything in. If your going to do a full blown race setup a standalone would be the way to go but i picked up the smt-6 from idaautomotive for like 480. And ill be able to tune everything in a day.

Call ida automotive, they are very knowledgeable about the smt 6 and have been doing som sick things with it, (1000 horse f150).

I looked at your photobucket account you got some sick stuff in there. Some Ahole just put his prelude with a skyline motor in it into a tree at my brothers shop, been thinking about pulling the motor and putting it into an old datsun or somthing. Those things are nasty fast with a litle tweaking.

·
498 Posts

thanks for the info, 480 isn't bad for that especially if it has a lot of flexability. the z has a haltech e6k in it i love the flexability of it. What else would you have to control be sides the engine? I haven't looked in to my sonoma that much on the electrical side. I am going to buy an fsm tho so i have the whole wiring schematic. There is a local guy who took an ecotech and put it in his extreme with a gt35 turbo and an auto tranny, he was running high to mid 11"s last year. Its a very nice truck the guy owns a tranny shop so he has the extra cash to throw around ;) What motor is in the prelude? is it an rb20,25,or 26? The 20 and 26 will say so on the front cover on the very front ofthe engine the 25 will have a round bump in the front cover where the variable valve timing controller is. I was putting down some serious power last year before i took her apart to build the new intake manifold and put on the wide body kit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

With a full standalone for a newer car you have to control all the sensores that arent tied to the motor as well as motor function. Such as airbags, lights, abs system, etc. Older cars are easier to work with b/c depending on the year you dont have all those creature comforts you do with newer cars. So if i was putting an ls7 in a chevelle or something i would go with a standalone, but for newwer cars with all those sensors i cant afford the downtime nor really want to deal with all the tuning involved with a standalone.

For 480 it controls fuel, igintion, and timing, which is really all you need to add 7lbs of boost. you can adjust for bigger injectors, have a boost referenced map (with an extra 2bar) and you can switch between two different setups for economy/ power or different boost levels if you have a controller.

A piggyback is just a little easier on the wallet and offers less downtime for a daily driver IMO.

eventually im going to rebuild the motor and see how fast i can go and the smt has the adjustablity to handle that.

I know some software geeks that with something like HPtuners or EFIlive can acually fake a 2 bar tune and burn it right to their ECM but that is way over my head. This is the first EFI build ive ever done.

As for the skyline motor im pretty sure its a 26, but dont quote me on that i dont know much about foreign motors.

And i just purchased a hurst shifter, they discontinued them but a few places still carry them just do a search for hurst P/N 3910112

·
498 Posts

thanks for the info, and if it's a 26 and u can get it cheap then do it they usually go for about 3-4k and that doesnt include the rwd tranny u will need from the rb25. If you have the whole swap u can buy it's worth a lot of money if u just wanna make a few bucks. i even have a fsm for the skyline that i will send u if u want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this desnt belong in this thread but:

Heres my other project that me and my father have been working on ever since i can remember. Its got a 350 bored .30 over, edelbrock air gap, holley double pumper carb, hydrolic roller cam, gm performance parts aluminum heads, and a bottom end build to hold about 800 horses, and a 3 speed on the tree. All in all it makes about 450 to the rear wheels and doesnt hook until you get to 70. its a blast to drive. No a/c no radio, no power anything.

The color is a corvette color dont know exactly what but its friggin sweet.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update: i got the smt-6 all wired in a started tuning last night. I got it preconfigured to my application from idaautomotive and all i had to do were a few calibrations and the truck ran smooth. I hooked a friend's wideband up to it and it runs high 14:1 to low 15:1 AFR's at idle and cruising and it took me about 5 minutes to get the truck to the point were i could actually drive it after bob ida gave me a few pointers.

I highly recommend the piggyback setup for anyone considering this build. It basically hotwires your computer into reading boost.
The only drawback is that the instructions from perfectpower are very vague and are hard to understand for the average person who doesnt know much about EFI tuning.

I will fine tune everything tonight and hopefully get down to the 1/8th mile track this weekend and make some passes.

·
boosted 2.2L
2,324 Posts
I just noticed the angle of the oil lines in the first post.
have you redone that? if not you may want to.
the oil return should be almost straight down.
other wise you will have problems with seals in the turbo.

also are you doing anything about your speed limiter?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts