S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. . .the other day me and my friend were taking a look around in the local chevy dealership and a 3.8L mustang pulls in and thinks he is some kinda god so we leave the lot and he follows and we hit a red light I hung with him till I hit 4th gear and then he pulled away . . .which for my lil bity 2.2L standard cab 5-speed to hang with that mustang I was damn proud considering I have a full stereo setup behind the seats that weighs a good extra 100lbs and me andmy friend in the truck. So later that night it was a completely different story when I had it to the floor going up an damn steep hill and this lil 95 mitsubishi mirage pulls away from me when it had minor mods. . ? Now am I going to see a decent increase in hp with a intake and exhaust and jet chip or is this lil 2.2L doomed unless I get a turbocharger. . .?:thumbdown :banghead: Sorry guys just kinda venting because this thing is so damn slow

·
drugz kil brane selz
8,444 Posts
chip, intake, exhaust (WITH HEADER) TB and other bolt ons will net some hp that is alot better than stock, but untill u go turbo, s/c, nitrous and all that shit, theres always gunna be somn passin ya.....a stang, CAMARO, and of course the rice....you can make these lil things fly but it takes know how and the green............(no pun intended)

but hell go for it, 2.2 for life

·
BMW Parts Dept.
434 Posts
Your looking at minimal gains till you go for forced induction. Of course every little bit helps. But dollar to horsepower costs aren't gonna net you much unless you step up to a boosted level.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
DONT BRING THAT UP IN THE 2.2 FORUM!!! Every ****ing thread has someone saying that and it is old as hell.....actually, I bet you in about a year at least two 2.2 S-10's are going to be putting down some serious wheel horsepower, and all ye naysayers are going to eat it. I'm so sick and tired of swap a v8, should have bought the 4.3, **** that, find a way to do some shit to the 2.2, the kid wasn't asking what was the ultimate way to make his truck faster, he asked if a damn FIPK was going to make a difference or not....does it even sound like he was interested in a V8 swap NO!!!

ARRRGGGGHHHHH

V8 swap comments like that piss me off almost as much as chevy releasing the colorado

Caleb

·
Fastest 2.2 liter
566 Posts
grndscrpr03 said:
You can spend money all day long on that lil motor and it's still not gonna make a significant difference.
Is 230hp at the wheels with a stock internal 2.2 ohv a significant difference?

·
Catdoctor
64 Posts
Hey, SummerWolf, I have agreed with you on this same subject before and I've come up with another thought. It takes some hard work to get a 4 cyl. to produce some HP., but the swinging meat that keeps saying, " you should have bought a v6 or put a v8 in it." Don't have the attention span of a gnat. They stick with something easy and simple. Kind of like the stupid kid in school that was all ways the bully. They just don't under stand, It's a 2.2 thing. So they mock what they don't know.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
hey my whole kit setup cast me maybe 2000 after all said and the little ends were pulled togethere and I made 190hp? Hmm now that beats alot of rice and a good amount of v6s I thing another 2000 and the v8s need to watch the mirrors too. Oh by the way do the math thats about 10 dollar per hp. Well worth it in my terms. A bad 2.2 is turbo internalls head work and a better rear. I think if your a good shopper you can do it all for 3000 and easily handle 300hp. And Im am a sell out I know Im going bigger cubes in the future but Im going to be putting money in to my other car that I got yesterday a 2004 cavi. 2.4 ecotec I cant wait to see what that monster is capable of.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
2.4 ecotec?? I thought they were 2.2's?? DOHC??

BWAH!! Chevy came out with something even newer!! Decent!

Caleb

·
Registered
585 Posts
i have to agree. look at some of the ricers. they are puttin up some serious numbers from 4cyls. it may cost a little more, be more difficult, and take some time, but it's always possible to get more power. yeah the v8s can do it 2, but it is a lot more impressive to start out small and go big.

·
sdime 4 life
524 Posts
Before driving the 2.2, I had a 4.3 blazer. That truck didn't win too many races either.

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
For me, the jet chip stage II chip seemed to make a nice differance.. Seemed like it had more power, but im not to sure if it really was there, or if I was just excited cause I just put it in :p

Anyways, hacking my airbox (not true cold air intake like you want) made a nice differance, it was my 2nd to last mod ive done for performance so far.. And when I step on the gas (after taking foot off brake) before it would just go, now the 1 tire either makes a scruff, or if its cold it makes a slight chirp..

Last mod I did was a B&M shift improver kit, chirps tires going into 2nd gear, which helps me hang in there a tad bit longer cause I can shift faster than the person im racing (unless they have a manual, and know how to use it) Not saying I win alot, most of the things I race are things that have V8's in them, dodge ram 'hemi' .. Full sized pickups and all, I just enjoy seeing how close I come to keeping up with them :p

My next mod, im not to sure.. Thinking about saving up for forced induction, but that will be awhile.. I had my mind set on a v8, that would be nice, but then again, with forced induction, when i beat peopel I could just say "You got beat by a lil 2.2L :p"

·
"rolling BareIsm"
78 Posts
initially all automobiles were point a-b vehicles then some one got gas in their veins and we are a product of generations and generations of people wanting to make any thing on four wheels and an engine go fast that it wasn't originally.

All things considered the 2.2L is the ultimate challange in this respect. So why not! If anything all the tinkering could yield something very productive, thats how new advances come about.

·
drugz kil brane selz
8,444 Posts
<------loves his S10 but also loves his V8 camaro.......

its kidna weird that im impressed by a high hp 2.2 but not with a high hp ricer 4 cyl........well i think so at least

me tinkin aloud

·
SOLD
7,551 Posts
um..you got pulled by a mirage? i have a friend whos got one, has intake, catback, 5 speed, thats about it, and my truck absolutley kills it, he had to have a sleeper n2o kit or something with like a 35 shot, i cant see any 2.2 s10 getting beat by a mirage unless you got fat joe in there with ya, the a\c on, and towin a trailer.

...something that might* make a difference, is your truck a std. cab or ext? b\c std. cab comes with 3.73 gears, and ext. comes with 4.10's, and yes normally the higher ratio gear is better but with a motor like the 2.2, the 3.73 is better, i have track times to prove it.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
uh. mirages can easily kick a 2.2 S-10's ass....I had a 93 eagle summit sedan (same thing as a mirage/ dodge colt) with the 1.8L OHC 16 valve motor, and I used to beat 3.8 camaros and stangs up and down....then I used parts off an eclipse and turbo'd the thing, and I was keeping up with a 99 GT up to about 80 and they slowly started to pull.....I can't imagine a 2.2 S-10 keeping up or pulling on ANYTHING really....

LOL

Caleb

·
"rolling BareIsm"
78 Posts
I've had my fair share of Civics mostly riced out and non-experianced but it is what i got so far... PLay some other 2.2L s-10s but afterwards i had a long talk with the driver. and then i had a constant grudge match with on of my old club members with his 95 hardbody (2.4L) he beet me stock but i soon pulled it out and left him behind.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I dunno bout that 3.73 thing, Ive noticed that the 2.2 has a power curve a bit higher than the bigger guns, my truck will pull a hill at 3 thousand without dropping speed, but less than 3 K, speed falls off fast, and it downshifts

I know I should know it, but I read it and forgot it, lol, 120 horses, 140 torque, but at what rpm's is the key -

eh, what I do is look for easy victims, lol some kid in a tercel gets squirrely, Ill run em, lol

some quido in a camaro now, Id rather rip him out of his car and beat his brains out

it sure would be fun to build a full tilt V8 Blazer, all four wheels smokin

1 - 20 of 31 Posts