S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
DO WERK!
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinkin of rebuilding my motor this fall, it has 65K miles on it, but I wanna beef it up to where it will have some decent horsepower. Im thinkin of port and polishing the heads (not really sure what that does, but oh well), stage 1 cam from jbodyperformance, forged aluminum pistons, al's header, gibson exhaust, AEM intake, 58 mm STS Throttle body, 35 shot of nos. How much extra HP would I get from this? If anyone has any helpful thoughts or comments I would appreciate it. I really wanna do this right, where it will last. Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
if your going to do nos, Id go with a 50-90hp shot. I mean its the same price as a 50 shot usually. Kinda "free" HP there.

Thats great, but look at what all that would cost. You may be about to put together a turbo kit for that much or even swap in another engine like the 4.3L or a v8.

Thats great you want to hop up your 2.2L alot, and it should be a pretty fast motor, but always keep your options open. All your mods plus a good set of rockers and under drive pullies would really give some great HP gains. Id love to see a 2.2L with all that one it and on a dyno.

~Alex

·
DO WERK!
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alex_V said:
if your going to do nos, Id go with a 50-90hp shot. I mean its the same price as a 50 shot usually. Kinda "free" HP there.

Thats great, but look at what all that would cost. You may be about to put together a turbo kit for that much or even swap in another engine like the 4.3L or a v8.

Thats great you want to hop up your 2.2L alot, and it should be a pretty fast motor, but always keep your options open. All your mods plus a good set of rockers and under drive pullies would really give some great HP gains. Id love to see a 2.2L with all that one it and on a dyno.

~Alex
yeah i wanna kinda do sumfin different, no turbo or S/C, just straight up beef up the 2.2, i forgot bout rockers. do you know any company that makes em for the 2.2?

·
Registered
40 Posts
olskoolnoma said:
Im thinkin of rebuilding my motor this fall, it has 65K miles on it, but I wanna beef it up to where it will have some decent horsepower. Im thinkin of port and polishing the heads (not really sure what that does, but oh well), stage 1 cam from jbodyperformance, forged aluminum pistons, al's header, gibson exhaust, AEM intake, 58 mm STS Throttle body, 35 shot of nos. How much extra HP would I get from this? If anyone has any helpful thoughts or comments I would appreciate it. I really wanna do this right, where it will last. Thanks!
when you say your thinking about getting a stage 1 cam from jbody, will it fit in our 2.2? I know the engines are different in ways such as trying to swap them could be tricky, but can you still use the same internals like a cam form a cavi?

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
not worth it my arse..

ya can git set of roller rockers from www.howellautomotive.com, just go under cavalier 2.2 and also make sure ya find a set of studs for it as well, only good for 98+

·
Registered
268 Posts
yeaa dude if u dont live in cali dude u should straigh up trhwo a v6er in there

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
don't forgit the cam as well, if gonna use nitrous, it won't be known as n/a, but I wud go 75 shot, so timing wudnt be affects n git more kick, don't forgit, higher gear ratio in diff. gear will git better jump, I been thinkn about findin 2 other rear axles, so 1 low gear ratio for higherspeed/better gas n 1 high gear ratio for drag track for best time, keep my stock 3.73, it'll seem a lot of work but no biggie for swap, takes lil time, well worth it for endin results...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Badarse98sdime said:
don't forgit the cam as well, if gonna use nitrous, it won't be known as n/a, but I wud go 75 shot, so timing wudnt be affects n git more kick, don't forgit, higher gear ratio in diff. gear will git better jump, I been thinkn about findin 2 other rear axles, so 1 low gear ratio for higherspeed/better gas n 1 high gear ratio for drag track for best time, keep my stock 3.73, it'll seem a lot of work but no biggie for swap, takes lil time, well worth it for endin results...
yours must be 5spd to have 3.73 rear gears. I have the 4.10s in my auto :sheep: I wouldn't go any lower than 3.73 you would kill what ever acceleration the 2.2l would have. Go with some 4.10s and 4.56s.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
you really dont need pistons for what you are looking to do. in fact you could do the entire port n polish with new valves and a cam and get some great gains throw in a set of rockers and you looking even better. do this in combo with some pullies a efan intake and header back exhaust with that nitrous and youll see 15's all day long that is a 3 sec decrease in 1/4 times. you might want to run a msd dis 2 as well to retard the timming when on the juice. that will allow you to run a bigger shot safely.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
There is alot that can be done to the 2.2L but few have done it. Alot of it is because of the cost involved. If I were going to go with a 2.2L N/A setup I would start off with a bare block, bore it .20 over, balance and knife edge the crank, forged rods, custom made higher compression pistons (from JE, arias, or somewhere else), JBP stage 2 cam, crane pushrods, clevite bearings, ported and polished head, crane rocker arms, Al's header, bored tb, e-fan, cat back exhaust, larger injectors with controller and wideband O2 for tuning.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I will say it over and over again that the 2.2L needs to get a tuner package released soon. With the proper tuning the 2.2L engine has the potential to put out alot better #'s than most think.

Everything I mentiotioned in my previous post would be cost prohibitive to most, however when you build any engine you need to go into the process knowing what you want out of the engine. In stock form the 2.2L puts down about 100 HP to the wheels, so you must decide where your goals are and go with wheel HP since that is what you will get from a dyno. What do you want 140...150...160 HP or more? Then you look at what would need to be done to realistically get it there, this is where many of times the idea of the 2.2L build up gets scrapped.

·
DO WERK!
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
thanks for the info guys, no sorry i just wanna beef up the 2.2L, if i had wanted a V8 i wouldve gotten a fullsize! LOL zq8-dawg if you could, would you pm me a list of parts that you are talkin bout. Im kinda new to all this. the info would be appreciated. thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would love to see some one actually build a N/A 2.2 s-10. Any motor that is done right can rip pretty good, it would just be cool to see a fast 4 banger s-10 giving those damn hondas a run for there money.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
dont worry about forged pistons unless you are gonna raise compression. I like 4cyl performance. Nothin like beating vtec and they cant make an excuse and say well you have a 6cyl.

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
s10xtreme said:
yours must be 5spd to have 3.73 rear gears. I have the 4.10s in my auto :sheep: I wouldn't go any lower than 3.73 you would kill what ever acceleration the 2.2l would have. Go with some 4.10s and 4.56s.
I aint worried about acceleration, that's why I said for higher mph, cuz the freeway here on night is like nascar, just 3,4 cars every 15min if goin over 100, and personally, 115 in city isn't nuff, I like to do 130, lowerin gear ratio in diff. axle does the job

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
Zq-8_dawg said:
There is alot that can be done to the 2.2L but few have done it. Alot of it is because of the cost involved. If I were going to go with a 2.2L N/A setup I would start off with a bare block, bore it .20 over, balance and knife edge the crank, forged rods, custom made higher compression pistons (from JE, arias, or somewhere else), JBP stage 2 cam, crane pushrods, clevite bearings, ported and polished head, crane rocker arms, Al's header, bored tb, e-fan, cat back exhaust, larger injectors with controller and wideband O2 for tuning.
i kno I wuda done that once 2.2 die on me, in mean ttime IM just puttn 1kmile on it a week and half or 2, not nuff to stop 2.2, o well

1 - 20 of 70 Posts