S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i got the motor pulled and disassembled all except for the crank and oil pump. Now I'm looking to do some slight internal upgrades, Never really searched though for whats out there. Heard of the 1.6 roller rockers where do i get them? Also thinking about going w/ a set of forged pistons. It would be nice to have it fully built, in-case i want to turbo it if i back out fully of the 350 swap in the future. Either way its all getting removed so i can powder coat the block, head, valve and timing covers, intake, exhaust............

Gimme some ideas on the wish lists.
Just internal stuff.

I've purchased almost everything i need so far at orileys for the standard overhaul. Now im looking at the timing chain setup from gmpartsdirect.com.

Almost forgot this is my 97 2.2L manual trans.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
you can go with narrow body 1.6 roller rockers with a 3/8th stud for a 350. you do not need to get self alighning due to having guide plates on ur head. i went with some scorpion performance rockers from summit. paid 250 shipped. you can then sell the half you dont use and recoup some cash. can get a agressive cam grind for more lift. id get beehive valve springs and also a adj pushrod to check what length of pushrod you will need. jbody.org has alot of into on there. look for threads by madjack. he has a ton of knowledge of these motors

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright been a long time.

Heres the progress. Decided against upgrading internals on this too much. Gonna go w/ all new bearings, rings.... etc. stock pistons and rods, basically just a freshen up. The machine shop took one look at the condition of my cylinder walls and said how many miles again? I said 220,000 all i got was god damn there in great condition. So leaving it stock bore. I am however going to build it w/ a turbo in mind so deck the head and block, diff head gasket for the turbo and ill enjoy 8-10psi for a bit. Once i work out the kinks ill move up in pressure w/ a different motor w/ less miles thats built for it.

Oh and the gasket surfaces will be cleaned up so nevermind the extra coat on them.

On the 95-97 the intake has these bearings that support the throttle body, There a pita to get out if you dont know what your doing!

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Yeah that is looking good Matt. I gotta sub to this thread so I can keep up with you are talking about.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Looking good! What all are you going to powder coat on her?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good! What all are you going to powder coat on her?
The question is what am i not going to powder coat on her! And thanks bro! Hell the machine shop couldnt get those bearings out of the intake, They said there non serviceable. I told the guy well you havent met me man! Took em to work and b/t 2 bright minds we got them out!

Ive also got all my support brackets done red, the block will be red, working on it now. And the motor mounts are black texture carbide. I need to take all this stuff outside and get some good pics for ya!

This weekend the plan is to get the oil pan, block, and intake coated. The engine enamel on the block has been holding up progress tho, Damn stuff is nearly impossible to remove! I spent 8 hrs blasting one side, said screw this w/ the other side, used paint stripper and ive got it pretty far but some of it just wont budge!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Yea I hear ya. I gave up on removing it real quick when I had my engine out. After like 5 mins and barely any progress I said fawk it and left it alone lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Get the Melling's P/N: M98 oil-pump. The LN2 is designed with priority-oiling to the lifters, and with blocks designed as-such a higher pressure [only] oil-pump is the way to go. If this were a Chevy 350, or even a 4.3L V-6, higher-volume is the way to go since they have crankshaft-mains priority oiling. The M98 is will keep your engine--namely the lifter--happy.

And on that same note: Have the shop install the "front" lifter oil-galley plug for the '98-later LN2. This has an orifice in it that will bleed-out any air that may get trapped while sitting overnight upon start-up, and will provide life-extending oil to the timing-chain set. That last part is vital since when they relocated the oil-pan sump to install this engine in the S-trucks, it lost the "splash" oiling that kept the chain-set alive past 100k-mi.

And look into the '82 Cavalier 1.8L OHV timing-chain install, if you want to go with a double-roller... Which combined with studs & the other mods I mentioned will make the engine last forever.

·
I hate thieves
532 Posts
Amazing work Matt! Too bad I haven't been available to help out. Damn pregnant woman takin up all my time!

·
Pony's got a nice rear
961 Posts
Well, you might want to go with Forged "Wiseco" pistons (IPP.com); steel Eagle Rods, and maybe Cometic (Cometic.com) head gaskets if you plan on putting a turbo with any kind of boost in it.

You could do a little port/polish job on that intake and exhaust side of the head....I did mine.

You could cut the rods and balance them...read SA Designs "How to Blue Print your Chevy Small Blocks"....good book..........

In addition, you are going to have to look at your Spark/Air/Fuel ratios with the additional Flow through the heads........BIG DEALLLL....don't over look it.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, you might want to go with Forged "Wiseco" pistons (IPP.com); steel Eagle Rods, and maybe Cometic (Cometic.com) head gaskets if you plan on putting a turbo with any kind of boost in it.

You could do a little port/polish job on that intake and exhaust side of the head....I did mine.

You could cut the rods and balance them...read SA Designs "How to Blue Print your Chevy Small Blocks"....good book..........

In addition, you are going to have to look at your Spark/Air/Fuel ratios with the additional Flow through the heads........BIG DEALLLL....don't over look it.
Damn bro 750 for rods and pistons w/ a 4 week lead time! F**K it will be almost April before it get them!
And Cometic only has a head gasket for an ecotec

I need some turbo guys to chime in.
While im waiting on the the pistons, should i go ahead and bore the cylinders? or am i fine w/ a stock bore?
I just got my tax return back so i got plenty to blow, im ready to have some fun w/ my little tutu!

·
Pony's got a nice rear
961 Posts
Damn bro 750 for rods and pistons w/ a 4 week lead time! F**K it will be almost April before it get them!
And Cometic only has a head gasket for an ecotec

I need some turbo guys to chime in.
While im waiting on the the pistons, should i go ahead and bore the cylinders? or am i fine w/ a stock bore?
I just got my tax return back so i got plenty to blow, im ready to have some fun w/ my little tutu!
No dude, stock bore on the cylinders is OK......that shit should be "in stock" at IPP.com....for the 2.2 LN2 unless he is starting to "drop ship" from Weisco.com.

But you need the forged pistons if you are going to do any kind of boost at all..........bro.....

The Cometic thing,.......well, they have them look again.................ok......you have to shop "Cavalier" on everything for this motor because it is casting number 0635

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well gave the pistons and rods a thorough look over and under the carbon heres what i found!

Heres some teasers on my progress, The block is back in the stand, cam and crank are installed along w/ freeze plugs and a block heater! Hell yeah for those cold winter days! The truck is garaged 100% of the time, however im preparing for the time that my daily takes a shit on my during the winter and i have to drive the truck.

·
Pony's got a nice rear
961 Posts
Stock pistons and rods!! ....??

OK, that's cool.....no boost, right, pretty, really pretty.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No dude, stock bore on the cylinders is OK......that shit should be "in stock" at IPP.com....for the 2.2 LN2 unless he is starting to "drop ship" from Weisco.com.

But you need the forged pistons if you are going to do any kind of boost at all..........bro.....

The Cometic thing,.......well, they have them look again.................ok......you have to shop "Cavalier" on everything for this motor because it is casting number 0635
Ok there stock bore and the cylinder walls are in outstanding condition for 220k miles.
The block was completely flat, maching shop said dont deck it unless i want to up the compression. The head had 10 thousandths taken off so it would be flat again. Since its going to be a bit before i get them in, would it be a bad idea do rub some assembly lube on the flat surface of the head for preservation? or even cover it w/ masking tape?
Looked on Cometic again, sport compact section they have the 2.2L TK4 head gasket. Is that the one i want? it says it has a 90 bore but the pistons are a 89. is that correct?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts