S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 99 2 WD 2.2 L, 5 speed.

Runs ok but would like a few more ponies.

Looking for some ideas, without getting too ($) serious or resorting to using the bottle.

I'm leaning towards addresing the options listed below. Can you recommend where I can get the best bang for the buck?

1.) Air Intake System ?

2.) Pulley set-up ?

3.) Exhaust modifications ?

4.) Chip changes ?

5.) Fuel Injection/delivery ?

6.) Ignition; (ignjtion, wires, plugs) ?

Thanks,

BG1726
 

·
Ross Racing Engines
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
1.) Make your ownn air intake system or get the eBay special. No need to spend a lot of money there.

2.) Again, only if you can find an inexpensive set. Does help smooth things out some, just doesn't give a lot back.

3.) If you can get a header, great. Otherwise don't bother. The best exhaust mod is a turbo!

4.) Forget the chips! If you want to tune it, check out HPTuners. They have just recently released their tuning hardware and sofware for the S10. It's kind of expensive, but probably the best bang for the buck. A definate must if you ever plan to turbo.

5.) Bigger injectors might help, but stock injectors are more than capable of supplying the needed fuel for a N/A motor. Stick with what you got.

6.) No significant increas in power with aftermarket parts over OEM. Save your money and spend it in areas you haven't listed but that are pointed out below.

E-Fan: Engine doesn't get a lot of power increase, but it really seams to smooth things out and the engine doesn't pull down as much between gears. I'm very happy with the results of mine.

1.6 Rockers: Probably the best mod I've done to the stock engine. Really made a difference in the throttle response. Also "feels" like the most significan't increase of all the mods. Whether it actually is or not, I couldn't say without dyno numbers.
 

·
Sik-98
Joined
·
3,809 Posts
check out the sticky in this section....i believe ur motor already has 1.6 rockers in the 98+ motors??? but comming from someone who has most of the n/a mods on a 2.2, id save the money and buy a bottle lol
 

·
Fear My Stupidity
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Ntrous would be stupid for a 2.2. What would you do, hit the button everytime you need to pass someone? An efan is probably the best mod for your money. Otherwise, if you don't have the know how of building a turbo kit then I would suggest living with the 2.2 how it is ...or buying something with more performance.
 

·
LS6 swap in progress.
1999 LS6 Sonoma on C5 Brakes
Joined
·
297 Posts
header seems to be the best mod ive done. But yeah a little expensive. E-fan and 56mm Quad 4 TB are good inexpensive mods, my motor was pretty good with those two mods and an Ebay intake, but add a better flowing exhaust along with some intake mods and its a pretty good package (relatively speaking to this motor)

good luck

AJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
if someone could build a good head/cam combo for these motors i think they could make some good power.i wonder how much hp the stock computer would support if these things could get more air into them
 

·
The doctor is in...
Joined
·
1,251 Posts
Phillly said:
Ntrous would be stupid for a 2.2. What would you do, hit the button everytime you need to pass someone? An efan is probably the best mod for your money. Otherwise, if you don't have the know how of building a turbo kit then I would suggest living with the 2.2 how it is ...or buying something with more performance.
I agree, unless your willing to tear down into the engine and consider a turbo or supercharger.

Throttle Bodies
Your going to be restricted by the cylinder head and the low compression of the engine. So your ability to move much air over stock is going to be pretty hard. The stock TB is more then enough for the engine.

Cold Air Intake
Once again, your going to be restricted by the cylinder head. The cold air intakes of ebay are usually made of chrome plated steel and will do nothing but hold in heat. There are no proven gains from changing the stock air intake over to an aftermarket intake.

Head & Cam
There are people who make a cam and a head for this truck. Your still not going to see much of a gain unless you raise the compression. If you do that, you might as well get a head ported and valves that are your specs. Comp cams will grind you a cam at your specs as well.

Rockers
The rockers in the clyinder head are not truly 1.6. If your going to change the rockers, you need to do some other work on the engine to truly see any real benefits. The engine will rev somewhat faster.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't simply just bolt on one thing and expect to go faster. If you really want to see some gains then your going to have to break down and tear into the engine. N20 will melt the pistons, and a turbo/supercharger will need those internal parts to truly take advantage of them.

So unless your willing to spend the money to do it right, I would use the 2.2L as a daily driver. Otherwise an e-fan is your best bet for "cheap" gains.
 

·
Sik-98
Joined
·
3,809 Posts
quick question to those with the tb mod.....did it effect ur mpg. im tryn to decide if its making me get worse millege or if i got a crapy batch of gas
 

·
The doctor is in...
Joined
·
1,251 Posts
chevyDime98 said:
quick question to those with the tb mod.....did it effect ur mpg. im tryn to decide if its making me get worse millege or if i got a crapy batch of gas
Mods are what you make of them. If you want to believe you see a 4 mpg increase, then that is what you'll see.
 

·
LS6 swap in progress.
1999 LS6 Sonoma on C5 Brakes
Joined
·
297 Posts
i didnt see much of anything MPG wise with the other TB. Maybe 1 mpg better but thats negligable. One thing you may want to check is the TPS (throttle position sensor). The grand am TB i used had a similar looking TPS, but at a different angle from my truck's original. If that's at a different angle, your truck may be putting in a little bit extra fuel on accelleration because it sees some other value (that's what im thinking at least). I put on my original TPS because that thought ran through my head while installing the 56 mm TB.

AJ
 

·
I just cummed.
Joined
·
18,276 Posts
Phillly said:
Ntrous would be stupid for a 2.2. What would you do, hit the button everytime you need to pass someone?
Yes. :rotf:
 

·
Sik-98
Joined
·
3,809 Posts
2.2L Sonoma said:
i didnt see much of anything MPG wise with the other TB. Maybe 1 mpg better but thats negligable. One thing you may want to check is the TPS (throttle position sensor). The grand am TB i used had a similar looking TPS, but at a different angle from my truck's original. If that's at a different angle, your truck may be putting in a little bit extra fuel on accelleration because it sees some other value (that's what im thinking at least). I put on my original TPS because that thought ran through my head while installing the 56 mm TB.

AJ
thats the black plug facing the front of the truck? it has two hex screws holding it in? i gotta switch out the stock one? thanks
 

·
AVTekk is my HERO
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
dont bother modding a 4cyl. its cheaper to just buy either a 4.6 vortec or a 350 sbc
 

·
fabrictor/motor genuis
Joined
·
89 Posts
Why? When you can outrun a 4.3 in a 2.2....they are some pretty torqy motors and as long as you dont have a auto tranny you will feel improvements..when i put my tb on it improved mileage,changed shifting points but gave it more torque and hp...but with all of the mods i have i can beat a good 2.8 no problem....i raced my moms 4.3 blazer and won....basically just about any mod helps its just how much
 

·
LS6 swap in progress.
1999 LS6 Sonoma on C5 Brakes
Joined
·
297 Posts
chevyDime98 said:
thats the black plug facing the front of the truck? it has two hex screws holding it in? i gotta switch out the stock one? thanks
yeah theres a wire coming out of it. id recommend putting the s-10's original TPS in on the Quad 4 TB. Let me know how it works out.

AJ
 

·
Big Engine, Little Truck
Joined
·
639 Posts
dirtydime03 said:
Why? When you can outrun a 4.3 in a 2.2....they are some pretty torqy motors and as long as you dont have a auto tranny you will feel improvements..when i put my tb on it improved mileage,changed shifting points but gave it more torque and hp...but with all of the mods i have i can beat a good 2.8 no problem....i raced my moms 4.3 blazer and won....basically just about any mod helps its just how much
:bs:
 

·
Not low, not going to be
Joined
·
346 Posts
superunknownmoto said:
Come on now, he never said the 4.3 had all it's spark plug wires.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top