S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
extended cab always has 4.10 gearing so loss of gas mileage will increase compared to 3.73 gearing

driving like a grandma you can see 26mpg in city, drivin like madman, over 17mpg. mods helps increase gas mileage such as efan mod, intake, new belt with different routing not going through a/c which free some loss power for starters

·
LS6 swap in progress.
1999 LS6 Sonoma on C5 Brakes
295 Posts
i get anywhere between 20 and 24 mpg depending how i drive. Usually its right around 22. E-fan makes a slight difference.

AJ

·
Slow Sonoma
503 Posts
Driving city and driving it moderately I get around 26 mpg. Strictly freeway I get around 36 mpg. Driving like a complete moron and revving it out everytime I shift, I get about 22 mpg. I have yet to go below that mark, even when hauling a quad in the bed and two more on a trailer. And yes, it actually pulled it!:eek:

·
I hate my truck.
2,747 Posts
When I bought my tuck I was getin 15-18mpg I did new plugs, wires, air filter, and did the whole lucus fule system cleaner/additive. Kicked me up to 28mpg with normal driving (not grandmaing it and not beating the piss out it). Now with my clutch goin and slipin like a bitch I'm back to around 16-17mpg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just replaced my plugs and wires and drove about 350 miles with about 250 miles with a 600lbs bike in the back. I got 27+ mpg. i drove about 75 mpg average with two trips up and back down a moutain, speeds of about 55-60.

·
I just cummed.
18,276 Posts
I get between 20-28 depending on how long my trips are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2.2 w/66000 miles
City 23.8
Hwy 27.6
Moderate driving habits

·
I want you to drag or die
593 Posts
24.5/27.5 city/hwy moderate driveing 5 speed 160k miles

·
Registered
313 Posts
well, i think im doing something wrong then...i got my first 26mpg tank today, heres my driving habits. HWY i went 60mph for 200 miles. CITY i broke 60 a few times but kept it around 40 a lot for 150 miles.
my shifting is as so, 1st 0-10mph, 2nd 10-17mph, 3rd 17-25mph, 4th 25-35mph, then 5th at 35 and up. accelerating extremely slow...slower than most grandmas (they passed me more than once). Driving the same way just city i got like 24mpg

i have fancy plugs(i think their bosh plats), avg wires and a volant air intake.
its a 99 extendo cab and its stepside. Engine has about 125k on it

should i be getting better?

·
Registered
324 Posts
ive got anywhere from 19-30 mpg.when i got 30mpg it was a 300 mile trip and i had the cruise set on 70mph with no air.id say 90% of the time i get 23mpg

·
I hate my truck.
2,747 Posts
truculenity said:
i have fancy plugs(i think their bosh plats), avg wires and a volant air intake.
Get rid of thoes plugs! Put the stock AC delcos back in! Bosh plats and iradiem (sp?) pugs are some of the worst to put in this motor.

·
Registered
313 Posts
why are they so bad, and what else is their besides the delcos that are decent?
BTW this is w/ no a/c in the city and a/c on hwy

·
Campin In Style
799 Posts
i love the milage of my lil truck.

i just got back from a trip and got 28MPG with snow tires and a high-boy topper. and also with a 140LB water heater in the back!

i would have easily gotten 30 with reg tires and no topper

in the city i will get 22MPG or so. which is quite respectful considering the amount of stopping and going involved.

what really amzes me is that this is an auto with 4.10 gearing. and it can pull 3000-5000LBS if i wanted to. I have pulled 2000lbs with ease... but not much more.

I dont know anyone that can get 25MPG and still haul a good amount, but i can. And with gas prices the way they are, im damn happy for it.

THINGS THAT MAY HAVE EFFECTED MY MILAGE:
56mmTB
K&N Filter
E-Fan
NGK Iridiums! << MOST improvement

·
Campin In Style
799 Posts
WARNING:

BOSH PLATINUMS DO NOT WORK WITH THIS TRUCK!!!!!

i used them and my milage steadily went down every week until it was to the point that i was driving 3 Cylinders.

when i finally took them out i noticed 2 were burned all to hell. and 1 was missing the end electrode.

similar stories for many who have put Bosch Platinum +4s in their truck.

dont say i didnt warn ya!

Im actually really serious.. ditch those plugs before its too late. Some people run them fine. But some engines have actually been hurt due to using them. I have heard horror stories and it is not worth the risk. Get some NGK's or at the least stock delcos. Like i said. i was running on only 3 cylenders. one of my cylinders had a puddle of gas in it. If i would have left it longer the gas would have seeped into the Oil and could have ruined my engine. But i was lucky and caught it before hand.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts