S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here.. I have a 1998 Chevrolet S-10, 2.2L and automatic for 8 months. Slow truck, but pretty handy for me. It was rough when I got it for $450. I did a new headgasket set with new head bolts and torque specs, put cylinder#3 push rod back in - the preview owner might did it mistake and even cut wires without checking blown fuses lol, and put fresh fluids in. Ran nice and clear, no service light on for 7 months, then truck started acting up at stuck highway traffic, idling rough, smoking and smelling bad. Took a closest exit, did city driving, not lots of power, almost want to shut off when press gas pedal to move, made it 30 minutes to my sis house. Never overheated and oil pressure was normal. Thought it was catalytic converter at first because of flashing service engine light. Stopped and checked twice, it's still smoking out of tailpipe. Cylinder#2 is only one misfiring, doesn't make a difference with new coil packs and different fuel injector (from '98 2.2L Cavalier pull-a-part). Unplugged both of cylinder#2 injector and spark plug wire, behavior didn't change, still smoking white and becoming kind of darker color mixed I think. I removed valve cover today, everything looked okay, I couldn't see anything wrong inside cylinder#2 and don't have a camera to see the valves. The piston is fine, but noticed it's somewhat brown and darker than other 3 cylinders (all clear gray with alitte carbon). I'm guessing fuel injector connection, but truck smoking that bad without it? Either valves blend/seals, cracked head. Idk, I'm at loss, never had those experience, and don't want to take the head out again..I mean I would if I have to. Probably should've went to autozone for check the code, but it ran rough and I didn't want to make it worse.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,219 Posts
Due to the inclusion of the cylinder head history, I have a feeling you already know what’s wrong with it. sounds like the engine.

if it’s smoking it’s probably fried. do a compression test if you like,but I’d start hunting a new engine,..good luck too,because a 98‘s 2.2 can be hard to find. Or just go get another S10. They’re pretty cheap,and easy to find...get a younger not so oddball year truck this time too...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's a engine. Ugh, why now in winter? The truck was sitting while I was moving...unlucky for me. I did take it to autozone and codes only showed cylinder#2 misfires, which I already know. I bought a good quality compression kit, always wanted these tool anyway. Cold compression test was a little over 150 psi, almost same as rest of cylinders. I noticed oil coming out of the exhaust manifold and front pipe when I started and messed around for a bit. I thought it was bad PCM that control fuel injector#2 dumping too much fuel after I changed the injector twice. It's most likely bad piston rings, since I already replaced valve seals, were fine for 7 months. The rings probably got damaged when my old oil pressure switch seal blew while I was driving, which I didn't mention - started leaking terribly, drove for maybe at least two hours (was pretty busy day), added couple of quarts before almost had no oil when I reached to auto store, lost like over a gallon altogether, replaced the switch and added fresh 5w-30 in.. Then things went normal, lasted few days. Although, the oil light was never on. I don't know if I should take it apart and would be worth spending about $100 - $200+ on engine parts or just sell a truck. Worry if inside of the engine would look worse than expected. The truck has 196k miles... don't know if the engine is original. Plus it's my only vehicle and crappy cold out.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,219 Posts
Idk what to tell you. It was 75° today.

I’m a firm believer in quitting while you’re behind. Don’t spend more then the truck is worth,or you can buy another for.dont get attached to it,the truck is easily replaceable. Wasn’t the first one GM made,and wasn’t the last either.. If you’re not personally capable,or have the time to swap your engine?...go get another truck. That’s my opinion

As for the weather issue? Idk why an adult would intentionally subject themselves to an area with a harsh climate. I understand people are born in shitty places like Ohio,New York,Canada,..places that snow,and are cold as eff for half the year or longer..have family there,like their job...bla,bla,bla,..those people have stupid families and friends,and lack confidence in their ability to leave the nest,and truly be their own person. then,..don’t be stupid losers like your friends and family..move.

I recommend Florida. My mother took me to Ohio when I was little,..once I was an adult I dipped. I grew up in southern Mississippi,..I was already aware that there where nicer planes to live then Ohio,and dreaded the winters...Mississippi is poor,so I moved to the gulf coast where I was from only in NW Florida,..no city or state taxes..no tax in food..get snow like once entry decade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Idk what to tell you. It was 75° today.

I’m a firm believer in quitting while you’re behind. Don’t spend more then the truck is worth,or you can buy another for.dont get attached to it,the truck is easily replaceable. Wasn’t the first one GM made,and wasn’t the last either.. If you’re not personally capable,or have the time to swap your engine?...go get another truck. That’s my opinion

As for the weather issue? Idk why an adult would intentionally subject themselves to an area with a harsh climate. I understand people are born in shitty places like Ohio,New York,Canada,..places that snow,and are cold as eff for half the year or longer..have family there,like their job...bla,bla,bla,..those people have stupid families and friends,and lack confidence in their ability to leave the nest,and truly be their own person. then,..don’t be stupid losers like your friends and family..move.

I recommend Florida. My mother took me to Ohio when I was little,..once I was an adult I dipped. I grew up in southern Mississippi,..I was already aware that there where nicer planes to live then Ohio,and dreaded the winters...Mississippi is poor,so I moved to the gulf coast where I was from only in NW Florida,..no city or state taxes..no tax in food..get snow like once entry decade.
Finding another S-10 isn't a problem on facebook markplace and other sites - I'm on fb just for that. I was going to take a risk rebuilding the engine outside, on the grass at the alley way, in my warm uniform while it's cold raining/snowing out. But I've been having some situations, will be for some time while I have a non-working vehicle, so I'll let my truck go and get myself a different vehicle. Plus I don't have a stand and lifter if it turn out a major issue and take entire engine out, it'd take a lot of time and money. I decided it's not worth it, you're right.

I live in Ohio of my whole life, currently living in North that's colder than South. Not really a big fan of heat, that's me, though. Been in a few states for vacations and family. I did like NJ a lot only because of beach. I like all seasons in Ohio, sure sounds like more expensive than where you live... I could just abandon my sweet old lady, have no support, and move out of state...yeah, no lol. Everyone have different ways of living. I can say bad things about Ohio: prices, people and rusts.

Thank you for replying. Rip, my truck engine.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,219 Posts
I lived in Cuyahoga&Summit county in Ohio throughout highschool. It sucked.

my ol lady is from there,and didn’t want to move. I made her an ultimatum. Move with me,or it’s over,...she chose to move with me.

I had an opportunity to move back with my company for ridiculous money since it’s based outta Akron. I still own a house in Glennwillow...I could just move back in,lol. She wants no part of it now. You can’t go from the sugar white sands and palm trees of Destin the busted roads,grumpy people,and constant stink on NE Ohio...

39,540 Posts
lol Yeah, that's why I haven't left MI. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe some people don't mind the weather whatever it may be? Perhaps they like where they live despite something as trivial as weather? Nah, that couldn't be. lol Dumb post is dumb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lived in Cuyahoga&Summit county in Ohio throughout highschool. It sucked.

my ol lady is from there,and didn’t want to move. I made her an ultimatum. Move with me,or it’s over,...she chose to move with me.

I had an opportunity to move back with my company for ridiculous money since it’s based outta Akron. I still own a house in Glennwillow...I could just move back in,lol. She wants no part of it now. You can’t go from the sugar white sands and palm trees of Destin the busted roads,grumpy people,and constant stink on NE Ohio...
Oh? Funny, I'm in Barberton for 3 weeks (temporary home), will be out of there before February. Never liked Summit county because of few bad services, rough roads everywhere - some weird directons, and too many druggy people. I'm more of South in the county. I don't blame your mother, you could sell your house lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts