S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here.. I have a 1998 Chevrolet S-10, 2.2L and automatic for 8 months. Slow truck, but pretty handy for me. It was rough when I got it for $450. I did a new headgasket set with new head bolts and torque specs, put cylinder#3 push rod back in - the preview owner might did it mistake and even cut wires without checking blown fuses lol, and put fresh fluids in. Ran nice and clear, no service light on for 7 months, then truck started acting up at stuck highway traffic, idling rough, smoking and smelling bad. Took a closest exit, did city driving, not lots of power, almost want to shut off when press gas pedal to move, made it 30 minutes to my sis house. Never overheated and oil pressure was normal. Thought it was catalytic converter at first because of flashing service engine light. Stopped and checked twice, it's still smoking out of tailpipe. Cylinder#2 is only one misfiring, doesn't make a difference with new coil packs and different fuel injector (from '98 2.2L Cavalier pull-a-part). Unplugged both of cylinder#2 injector and spark plug wire, behavior didn't change, still smoking white and becoming kind of darker color mixed I think. I removed valve cover today, everything looked okay, I couldn't see anything wrong inside cylinder#2 and don't have a camera to see the valves. The piston is fine, but noticed it's somewhat brown and darker than other 3 cylinders (all clear gray with alitte carbon). I'm guessing fuel injector connection, but truck smoking that bad without it? Either valves blend/seals, cracked head. Idk, I'm at loss, never had those experience, and don't want to take the head out again..I mean I would if I have to. Probably should've went to autozone for check the code, but it ran rough and I didn't want to make it worse.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,155 Posts
Due to the inclusion of the cylinder head history, I have a feeling you already know what’s wrong with it. sounds like the engine.

if it’s smoking it’s probably fried. do a compression test if you like,but I’d start hunting a new engine,..good luck too,because a 98‘s 2.2 can be hard to find. Or just go get another S10. They’re pretty cheap,and easy to find...get a younger not so oddball year truck this time too...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts