S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend wants to race me in his 89 2.8. its got 155K on it. my truck is a 94 2.2, got an air intake, 8 mm wires, bosch platnum plugs and pretty much no exhaust right now(many many holes). both trucks are autos, and my friend has NO mods whatsoever, its just lowered really, really low. do i have a chance, even just to hang with him?

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
exhaust probably wont help being holey may even hurt ya....

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i was thinking, but since its gotten holey, i noticed a slight pickup in the truck

·
Registered
98 Posts
Alright let me tell yall something...alot of people wont believe this just because they are hard headed. The 2.2 will out run the 2.8s. That is, its that simple. Thats the reason that they quit making the 2.8 when they started making the 2.2. The only thing u have to know to beat one is how to drive it.

·
FLAVOR FLAV!!!
344 Posts
i definitely disagree. Stock for stock the 2.8 will win. I have a 92 2.8 5 spd. I have been beaten by a 2.2, but it was a manual. I've never lost to a auto and since beat that manual.I have also beaten 98 and 2000 Blazers, now the trucks still beat me but i don't see too many 2.2's beating 4.3's unless your lone wolf.

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
I personally watched a simple moded 2.2L wax a 1st gen 2.8. His name is Cale and he used to go by "4bangin" on the boards...I think he changed his name to "3.8bangin" since he traded his X in on a 02 Camaro. I've even got it on video:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
well sure if you have an auto you'll get beaten. The autos are slow. If you drive the five speed right you'll smoke a 2.8...a stock 2.2 at that. And about the 4.3s a 5speed 2.2 will run with an auto 4.3 through first gear. And if you have some motor mods then you'll run with them for a while

·
FLAVOR FLAV!!!
344 Posts
Ok to clarify, i've only been beaten by one 2.2 5spd, the rest of em, auto/ manual whatever, i've beat easily. As for the 4.3, i only have basically one mod and i can hang with and beat em, up to about 85 or so when they pull away.
Anyway to answere danteisme's ? i think you'll beat the 2.8, maybe if the 2.8didn't have an auto or 155k mi, i'd give the nod to him, but i'm gonna say you'll win. I still say 2.8's are faster though than the 2.2's.

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dunno how different the 2.8's in the s10s are compared to the 2.8 i had in my beretta, but my beretta was faaaaaaaast. thats why i was worried

B

·
0 Posts
i agree with jlaudio11. i was the only 2.2 to beat him but he did a mod now he beats me. i also think the 2.8 will probably win, unless its totally wasted. the 2.2 auto's are pretty slow

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Um run with a 4.3 for a while....Cough..Cough..BS..cough...Lol but your right the 2.2 is a tuff little motor

·
Registered
98 Posts
a stock 2.2 wont run with a 4.3 for a while...but i was talkin about my 2.2 will run with one. A stock 5speed will run with a auto 4.3...through first gear.

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
I have a friend with a like a 89 2.8 reg. cab 5 spd. and he can hang with me through the 1/4, but he really knows how to drive it. I've seen him blow away a 2.2 automatic like i would or something...left him crying:cry:

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
I've beat my cousin before..He has a 2.8 5 speed and I have a 2.2 5-speed. I got a good jump off the start though. It was close at the end.

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
From what I've read it looks like your saying the 2.2 replaced the 2.8L, it didn't, it replaced the 2.4L 4 cyl...the 4.3L replaced the 2.8 cause it's a 6cyl.

·
FLAVOR FLAV!!!
344 Posts
02redxblaze
if your talkin to me go ahead and think i'm full of it. I really don't care but there are other 2.8 members on here that know what it can do, and that it can run with 4.3's.

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
lol dont argue with him and the 4.3 :) they only make 180-190 but he still thinks they are the best :dunno:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts