S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me how I go about changing 2.2 mounts to mount my Vortec 350? Actually it's a Ramjet 350 with 96 LT4 cam, but I've setup two other setups like this in streetrods with success.
I have taken the 2.2 mounting adapters loose from frame, and have aftermarket adapters, but holes don't seem to mount up. I guess new holes will have to be drilled. The only way I could think to do that would be to test fit engine with arter market mounts on it and try to mark xmember where to drill.
Any easier suggestions?

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
I just bolt 2.8 mounts to the frame. No hole mods needed.
Replacement ones are available if you can't find originals and they make poly inserts if you prefer.
That's what the majority of V8 engine mounts line up with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm assuming this works for a 1st Gen.? If so how the ****& did you get to the nuts on the 4cyl mounts? I've got an 86 4cyl I just started a conversion on. Advance adapters is telling me to drill holes in the k-member

·
Been there Done it
8,383 Posts
That's one way. With some serious persistence and the right combo of flex joints and sockets you can get to them. Really helps to have a hoist so you can see what you're doing. Either method is a PITA.
You could go one size bigger on the bolts and drill and tap the frame. IIRC later model are done that way.
Same for 1st and 2nd gens.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
If the lower control arms are out you can get in there without too much trouble. I welded the nuts into my 92, so I wouldn't have to mess with them in the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used a seawall to get the old mounts off. I really dont want to pull lower control arms. I just bought some aftermarket poly mounts off ebay. Think I might just tap out the existing holes in the k member

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oops, sawzall. I'll let you guys know how it works. Should be a fairly healthy 383. I should buy stock in a tire company. Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oops, sawzall. I'll let you guys know how it works. Should be a fairly healthy 383. I should buy stock in a tire company. Lol
just have to swap to 2.8 v6 mounts....you can drill holes in front of cross member to get a box end wrench and nuts on if you need to.
this website is great with everything you need including swap tips and instructions. S10 V8 Motor Mounts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My chassis had all the holes I needed after I cleaned 17 years of crap off crossmember.
I used later model mounts that fits most adapter plates. All three holes were there with threads after cleaning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts