S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 with a 2.2 in it. Has 170K miles. The original plan was to put an LS in it, but I have actually grown fond of the little 4 banger, its simplicity and good gas milage. I think Im going to just rebuild it. Im guessing my only option are the no name rebuilt kits? Are there "good" ones? All the same?

·
Registered
98 Chevy s10 2.2/5 speed, 2wd
1 Posts
I have not used a full rebuild kit on a 2.2 but I have used multiple kits for various gm v8's and have been pleased with Enginetech rebuild kits. You can buy them very affordable on ebay, rockauto, etc. For a stock type rebuild they are the best I have found for price/quality plus they are based in Carrollton TX so pretty centrally located for everyone. I have used full rebuild kuts, head gasket sets, etc and have been pleased with the quality for the price. I have a head set with head bolts, timing set with tensioner and pushrods from them right now I ordered to go on my 98 s10 2.2, ordered from rockauto with tax and shipping $98.15 delivered in 3 days. Just my thoughts and experience. Good luck.

·
time to get cereal
2,607 Posts
Does it need rebuilding? My 2.2L has 265k miles on it and isn't showing any signs of needing a rebuild. You can get away with refreshing the valvetrain most of the time, the bottom end should be good for 300k+ miles.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,534 Posts
Does it need rebuilding? My 2.2L has 265k miles on it and isn't showing any signs of needing a rebuild. You can get away with refreshing the valvetrain most of the time, the bottom end should be good for 300k+ miles.
Mine has 291k on it. Ran it 5449 miles on the last oil change (I try to change @ 4-5k). Was almost a pint low on oil.

·
time to get cereal
2,607 Posts
Mine has 291k on it. Ran it 5449 miles on the last oil change (I try to change @ 4-5k). Was almost a pint low on oil.
Mine leaks about a quart every 1k. I switched to royal purple oil filters and started doing a 7-10k change, since I am adding new oil every 1k. I need to pull the motor and reseal the oil pan and check the rear main seal.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,534 Posts
Mine leaks about a quart every 1k. I switched to royal purple oil filters and started doing a 7-10k change, since I am adding new oil every 1k. I need to pull the motor and reseal the oil pan and check the rear main seal.
My oil pan used to leak. Fixed it while I had the trans out to repair the stripped sun gear shell at around 230k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts