S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bash:

hey whats up doc!!!, i got a question, my engine, a 2.2 4cyl 5-speed goes tap tap tap tap tap tap, this mechinic said its my lifter, if it is then i have to take everything out to get to it, he said its prob. some dirt and its stuck. told me to get some myterie oil, and run it and see if it stops i did, and still the same thing, is there anything i can do besides tear down the engine, any help would be so great, thanx, steve :bash:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've looked everywhere for that stuff my buddy says it works really good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Would the taping noise be something that is covered under waranty? I have the same thing in my 2000 2.2L. I still have coverage from my warranty..

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
It should be covered under warranty....

Anyways, the lifter, just take off the heads, put a different cam in there and some roller-tappets and some different valve springs andvalve guides and have fun.....that would be what I'd do....don't get stock stuff, upgrade!! 2.2's need to!!

Caleb

·
Registered
49 Posts
The guys at the one down the street from me look at me like i'm asking to buy a 20 rock when i ask if they have it.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, thats funny racerx. whats seafoam?????????

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats up all, yesterday i went to napa and they didnt look at me like i wanted to buy a 20 rock, but they did have it and said that it works really well, so either today or tomorrow im going to put it in and then run the moter, then im going to drain it and theput fresh new full syn oil in pluss a new bottle of the sea foam and then hopfully it will stop the tap tap tap sound, i'll let yall know how it goes, keppin' it real.... peace, steve :thumbup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cool man , good luck. Hope it solves yur problem.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Are you sure it isn't the inherent knock most of the 2.2's have? The timing chain slaps against the aluminum cover and makes a rattle. YOu can replace the tensioner for the timing chain but it usually doesn't fix the problem. I would take it to a dealer and have them determine if it is a lifter or the timing chain by having them listen to it.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey proflo'd s10, i dont think its the normal knock sound, that 2.2's have. neither do i think its the timing chain tensioner. the whole thing has already been replaced. the tap tap tap tap sound ir coming from right under the valve cover, witch means i would think it would be the valves, or something right in that area, but anyhow, i havent messed with the oil change yet. as for the dealership thing is conserned, they suck di*k, when i first ran into this whole problem, i took it in and they hooked it up to a computer and said oh, its just the starter so i was like hell yeah i'll just get a new one and they can put it in since they alread took the old one out, i wouldn't have to do it my self, which i already have done 2 times. then i ask them how long will it take to get it done and when can i get my truck, they said by the end of the day, i was like ok cool. so i get up there before they close and they suddenly forgot to tell me that they broke the bolts that hold the starter in the engine, and said that i would have to pay them to tap it out cost-$200, i was like you can kiss my @zz, fix it or im going to the courts, which happens to be right next door, and they were like oh ok, we will fix it but get the damn truck outa here, so then they put the new starter in and it still doesnt run. to make a long story short, lol, it was the timing that kept the truck from running, but it runs now, just makes a tap tap sound, lol i hope this wasnt to long.:thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
that noise everyone is hearing is piston slap ...do u get the sound in the morning when the engine is cold and it gets quieter when the engine warms up?? i got the same problem along with many other people, basically chevy denys any kinda of noise and wont re-call the trucks that i know of...anyway when the dealership does fix the problem basically all teh do is line-hone the cylinders and install over sized pistons...there may be a recall on it now but i cant remember what web site to go to to look it up :bash:

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the tap tap tap sound in taliking about is all the time not just in the morning. i dont know if the thread got posted but, i have decided to take out the moter and break it down and use the good parts and scrap the rest, or do the same thing but just get a new moter, with a waranty, because if i get the moter re-built then it might mess up again and then i'll be screwed again but if i get a moter with a waranty then i wont have to worrie. so thats probley what im going to do. i have already took the truck down to my friends house to work on it, he has all the air tools, and moter crane, and stand. so that helps a great deal. any pointers? help me out. at [email protected] or on here, peace. oh also i dont know if i told on here but my oil pressure is way down like 20-0 psi. when i first start the moter its up at like 45-50 psi. but after about 10-15 min. it goes to like 20 psi. so i replaced the oil sending unit and it worked for about 30 min then the oild pressure went back down like it was before. so i dont know whats up with it.

thanx, steve:thumbup:

K

·
0 Posts
GM has a service bulletin on the piston slap noise...they will only fix it for free if it is under warranty otherwise they will rip ya a new one. But i have ticking noise under my hood and to me with a scope it sounds like the injectors...Also go to your local GM dealer and ask for a bottle of Engine Oil Supplement!! It is a really thick type **** you add to your oil as the name suggest...but i use it when i put new motor in to help pump up the lifters and all...maybe you have piece of dirt cloging the hole up in the lifter and maybe the EOS will help it! Also check for exhaust leaks. Carbon on top of the pistons can cause the same noise...soo...take some tranny fluid and suck it through the PCV hose (use a good amount) This will clean the top of your pistons off. (P.S it will smoke a lot) All this is worth a try before you buy $2500 engine. Sooo Let me know how it goes..Hope this helps Let me now what else you come up with that could be the cause of the problem. :thumbup:

K

·
0 Posts
oh yeah...I have that exact same oil pressure on my truck...soo..i wouldn't sweat it!..if it was a problem it would set your Check Engine Light

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my check engine light also comes on, plus the check gauges

K

·
0 Posts
oh yeah then you might have an internal problem then! Did you check you cylinder compression and all??

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i sure did, it has compresion, in all 4 cylinders

1 - 20 of 48 Posts