S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2.2 Engine knock (clicking sound)

15K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Rhotpursuit 
#1 ·
Alright.. so first of all, ive got an 02' GMC Sonoma w/ 118k miles. Amoung other things, ive had the heads re-machined, and pistons redone.

As soon as I start, I can here a slight tick-ticking sound and its not too bad at first. As soon as it warms up to idle tempature, the oil pressure will decrease to less than 5 lbs, and, as I'm sure yall know, the engine cuts out. Also, anything over 3k rpms makes an outrageously loud noise and clattering sound and when I let off the gas it revs down pretty hard too.

Other than that... I can drive around a few miles no big deal as long as I dont try to open her up any. (or let it warm up to idle)

Any of yall ever heard of this happening before? Ive taken it to quite a few mechanics and we have determinded that it dosn't have any thing to do with the oil sending unit, compression, and its not any gasket or seals.

The two things ive heard most so far is that its probably either the crankshaft, crack in the block, or that the engine is still someone losing compression somehow.

Any ideas? Chevy dealership wants to replace the engine. (no estimate)

See less See more
#5 ·
Mine would start up and idle rough and when ya gave it a little gas it would be fine to move a few feet. Had a horrible loud knock but would run. But if i was to try and drive up a hill it would completly shut off. Ended up spinning a rod bearing in it.

#6 ·
My truck did the exact same thing then it threw a rod and put a hole in the block. If mechanics cant figure it out then your going to be on your way to a new engine if you keep driving it atleast that was what happened to me. I had no choice but to drive now its gone.:(

#7 ·
laydout: It seems like its coming from the bottom of the engine around the oil pan? It also leaks oil there, but only when driving, and barely enough to make a difference

chris: it does have an exhaust leak, and it has had one for quite a while, so i know its not that.. (still got 22mpg with it lol)

I know im pretty much gonna have to replace the engine to keep it, but Im thinking about buying another s10 and starting fresh. Along with the problems ive already listed, there are plenty more (but mostly cosmetic). My truck has had one hell of a life, it has 117k miles, mostly highway, but also alot of gravel roads.. I used the shit out of it for hauling bales of hay and towing trailers (16ft loaded with around 2600 pounds). Bed is rusted and bowing. Has many, many dents (hey its a work truck what'd ya expect?), horn stopped working like last week, glove box is jammed..

What do you guys think? I love my s10, Ive got a 99' dodge ram cummins diesel, and a 03' dodge ram 5.7 hemi as my daily driver. But yet, its not an s10 :p

#9 ·
If you're dropping oil pressure makes me think a bearing is spun. Weird thing is that it doesn't do it until you get to temperature.

What kind of oil do you have? At high mileage I'd reccomend 10-30 only during the winter. 10-40 and 20-50 in summer. Oil pressure is good for a motor.

Course, low oil pressure could cause the lifters to tap too.

#15 ·
i suggest dropping oil and slicing open the filter looking for debris its a cheap diagnostic tool over a new engine and i may possibly be a bad filter not that i would get that lucky just tryin to help i know how it feels to be sans s10 but atleast u got a cummins to drive and not a pos ranger lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.