S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
"I Like Mine With No Shine"
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who sells a chip for a '95 2.2? I know jet makes one for the '97, but i cant find one for this one anywhere. Superchip has one for the '94, but there again, that doesnt help me any

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I got a superchip off ebay for my 94, but it said for the 94 or 95... so I would call superchip and see if they could sell you one.

DogP

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a JET Chip, Part number #20002-S for a 96 S10 2.2L
and I cant find a computer to attach it to... Look at the pictures...

Is that the computer? (look at the image) The Jet manual states it is drivers side!!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
If that is the computer the chip will not fit. and I cant find anything else to associate the chip with.

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my '95, you are supposed to plug it into a little black thing on the driverside, under the hood, right next to the master cylinder. It is mounted to the firewall. it is about an inch thick and sticks out about 5 or 6 inches. i was told that you unplug the little box frim the mount on the firewall and plug the chip in where the box is and plug the little box into the chip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Major BUMMER news from Jet Performance.... I called them today regarding the exchange for the correct chip. Apparently the computer I have in my 96 S10 has a late model 95 computer!! In which Jet does not make a chip for, due to some tech difficulties. So now I am back at square 1. I need a chip that will work in my application!! What now?

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you read this whole thread? If you didn't, then try http://www.sportruckspecialties.com. They have one for a '95 2.2 for $200, along with a few other performance parts for our trucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes I have read the whole thread... They don’t make a chip for the computer that I have! Call them on it they have had 3 other people with the same problem. it is for a 96 S10 2.2L with a late model 95 computer on the Passenger side above the engine coolant container.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I just put my chip in about 30 minutes ago, it is pretty sweet... I really notice it when the rpms get higher. Now I'm off to an Ozzy concert! :) WOOOHOOOOO!!!

DogP

·
Registered
10 Posts
So why cant u get a chip for a 95? I work at a chrysler dealer in parts dpt and have seen cars with the year before electronics on them but if its has a 95 computer it prolly has 95 electronics. What is your build date? Its on your drivers door near the vin. My 95 has that box near the master cyl., i thought it was an ABS computer but it could be the engine controller and the body controller(runs dome lights and interior functions) is under the dash. Does your truck have the big computer mounted onto the pass fenderwell on top of the coolant tank? If it does it should be a 96 because they started that in 96 but not in 94 and 95. I was trying to hook up a tach to my truck using factory wires and I used my chilton and traced the wires down to the computer under the dash. The plug had a hole but no pin in it or the computer. If it has tach from the factory the it has a whole different computer! What a bunch of SH!t.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That computer in your picture is the ABS computer(on the pass fenderwell), dont mess with that. If u do have a 96 then u should have OBD2 emissions system so you should be able to get a computer programmer from Hypertech or JET right? The Government mandated OBD2 so that repair centers could use the same scanners to read codes in 96 and newer domestic vehicles no matter what the make. They also have 2 oxygen sensors, one in front of the cat and one behind. My 95 has only one in the manifold, if u only have one then u have OBD1 emissions for 95 and older vehicles, then a 95 chip should plug in. If u have a oxy sensor behind the cat then it has OBD2 emissions and u should br able to get a comp. programmer. They are availble for alot of 96 and newer cars and trucks. Its almost the same as the $10,000 DRB2 scanner at my work. U can change rev limiter, spark and fuel curve, recalibrate the speedo and amost anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok well I can't find the manufacture date... I know where it usually is on the Driver side door but it is not there... Where else would it be. I have 1 O2 censor it is in the manifold.
The earlier picture looks more like a computer than this…

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Mine on my 94 is underneath the glove compartment, 4 screws from underneath, where the floor lights are. There is a metal box, and on the top of the box is a metal plate w/ 2 screws that opens up and the chip is in there.

DogP

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont know what the hell that big thing is on your driver's fenderwell. I've never seen that. It looks like some kind of pump like for ABS brakes. Maybe you do have a 96 because they started 4 wheel ABS that year. ABS uses a pump to pump your brakes so u dont have to do it. The computer pumps indivigual wheels and lets off to keep the truck straight during a lock-up condition. It could poss be a 94 though, if u have a manual trans do you have a long grandma shifter that goes almost to the top of the dash? 94 and 95 have those, 96 started usind a shorter shifter. I did talk to some techs at work today and they said you could have OBD2 emissions but have only 1 oxy sensor. Certain models did, so I was wrong about OBD2 having 2 sensors, not all did. I suggest getting a Chilton and narrowing down where your computer is in your truck and that will determine what year computer you have and get a chip for that year truck. Or when u find your computer geta a part # off of it and call GM and ask what year that fits and that should tell u what chip u should get for that year.

K

·
0 Posts
that thing on the drivers fenderwell is the ABS Pump and Computer....sooo...lets not "F" with that....the PCM,ECM,VCM...whater you call the main computer for your truck is on the top of the coolant tank...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like the other picture... I have gathered that. So what chip fo I need for that computer? and who makes it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is a better pic of the engine compartment.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts