S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dropped my 97 sonoma 2 1/2 front and rear, but im not sure by looking at it if a gibson cat back system will work with it bein dropped, id like to go with a flowmaster if it wont, but i cant figure out how to get the exhaust run out from under the bed without payin 300 bucks to have it bent from scratch, any helps greatly appreciated.

97 sonoma
2 1/2 drop front and rear, hppIII, helix tbs, detroit locker, B&M ripper shifter, airaid , gibson stainless headers, gutted converter, underdrive pulleys, elect. dual fans, HI-6 igniton, centerforce dual friction clutch

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sure a turndown would sound much better, but the problem you have with that is the exhaust gasses get swirled around under the bed, this inturn makes the paint mailuable, which inturn makes the bed rot and rust over time, if need be i will have the gibson tailpipe modified, spare done away with, whatever it takes, but you'll never see anything own with a turndown on it.
but thanks for the advice...

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
after i lowered mine 3 inches in the rear my flowmaster cat back was laying on top of the axle.
so i had a new one made by a muffler shop. it cost me $120. + the muffler. way better than the price of any pre made cat back i have seen.and it sounds better than the flowmaster did.imo

·
praise the lower'd
1,024 Posts
BadAssSonoma said:
im sure a turndown would sound much better, but the problem you have with that is the exhaust gasses get swirled around under the bed, this inturn makes the paint mailuable, which inturn makes the bed rot and rust over time, if need be i will have the gibson tailpipe modified, spare done away with, whatever it takes, but you'll never see anything own with a turndown on it.
but thanks for the advice...
im gonna have to dissagree, if that was true then there would be holes rusted into the bottom of s-10/sonomas cabs everywhere. if you are talking about heat from the exhaust gases

"exhaust gasses get swirled around under the bed, this inturn makes the paint mailuable"

(which i think you are) then.. the cat gets a whole heck of a lot hotter than the gases comming out the tail pipe.... yes im sure some of the exhaust will get swirled under the bed but i REALLY dought that it will make your bed rust out over time

just my opinion
scott

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
Besides the fact that 90% of the time the engine is running the vehicle is moving getting rid of all those noxious/toxic fumes coming out of your exhaust pipe swirling around under the bed..... :bah: :rant: :stickpoke

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
my truck is only lowered 3/4 right now :( but my flowmaster has no problem, ill let you know once it goes to 6/7

·
'Bagged Super Sport
43 Posts
I had my custom flowmaster exhaust made for $110 plus the muffler, once again way cheaper than any kit ive ever seen. And that was with dual pipes BTW.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Call me stupid, but what the hell does turn down mean?

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
ya i am goin 6/7, my brothers s10 was 6/7 and we couldnt slide a pack of ciggarettes under the frame :) but im doin body work and the rest of lowering within the next 2 months then in another 2-3 ill have bags layin frame so it wont be 6/7 for too long...but like i always say: slow n low is the way to go

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Zy...Turn down is a tailpipe about 5 inches long that comes directly of the muffler and turns down toward the ground..Hence...turn down. Only problem with tun downs, especially with flowmasters is the wicked resonance. Might not be bad in a pickup, but in a blazer would drive ya crazy..JMO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts