S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
500? 88 & 38 all the way!
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about painting my dash, but not sure how to go about it. First off, how do I get the vents out? And second, will just spraying the paint on look good? Should I do any sanding/clearcoating whatever?
Thanks a lot -Jamie

·
Audi Tech
2,487 Posts
some can pull the vents out. but there are little tabs that somewhat hold them in. you can take the dash face off, i know on the 97 there are 2 screws above the guages. then its a matter of pulling. dissconnect the lightswitch. when you have this off, put a small flat screwdriver in from behind on the side where it hinges, and push the tab in, you should be able to see this. as for painting. go and buy 3M Adhesive and wax remover. its in a metal can, white with red lettering. this stuff will clean everything off. its awsome crap. then use some fine sandpaper to rough up the surface. i recomment SEM paint although it doesn't seem to be carried by many places. its a vinal dye paint. or go out to the auto store and look for a plastic bonding paint. its a clear that when sprayed on, works into the plastic. 2 coats of this. then get your color that you want. 2-3 coats. don't apply them very heavy, you don't want them to run/drip. some people use a clear coat to get a gloss look. its pretty easy, just take your time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.