S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '90 Blazer failed it's yearly inspection (UK MOT inspection) because the parking brake isn't working correctly. It works, but it doesn't hold the vehicle well enough to pass. I had the shop take a look, and the brake shoes are fine, so they think it's the cables that need replacing. Obviously they can't get them, so I said I'd take a look and find the parts. (and may replace the cables myself if it's an easy job)

I took a look at the cables available on Rockauto, and there's quite a few to look at. I'm guessing it's best to replace the whole set of cables at the same time, but what makes up a full set? Front, intermediate, rear, rear left and rear right?

Anyone have any advice? I'm prepared to replacing the full set, but if there's any one part in specific known for being problematic then I'll try just replacing that.

Thanks.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,361 Posts
you are on the right track- you need to pay attention to the details though- Rwd/4wd and 2 dr/4 dr. but i would look underneath and see if the adjuster on the front/intermidate cable is ok- not rotted. you might be able to tighten it up - careful- they snap if forced.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 2wd and 2dr, I know I need to get the 2wd versions, I think my year choice on rockauto has trimmed out the 4 door versions that won't fit (even though there's a random 'long bed' item in there still) I'm just making sure I get all the parts I need since it'll take a while to get here if I've forgotten anything.

I didn't realize the Y-junction where the two rear cables go their separate ways was the adjuster so I didn't look too closely at it when I crawled under it after bringing it back from the shop. According to the shop, it can't be adjusted, so I guess that's either rusted solid or already at max adjustment. I'll take a look at it again tomorrow and see if it's rusted up, in which case I might just be able to replace the front cable to the pedal. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
83 Posts
If the adjustment nut is threaded in all the way where the two lines from the wheels meet the single line to the brake pedal, you can put a piece of appropriately sized pipe between the nut and the splitter to get more adjustment.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with the mechanic again today, and they clarified that the issue was the rear cable on the passenger side is pretty worn out where it connects to the parking brake lever, there's room to adjust it, but it's so worn out that the end might snap off the cable.

RockAuto doesn't seem to actually list half of the cables under my vehicle, but I found the ones I need by just searching with the GM part numbers. Now I'm just a little confused over the intermediate cables.

It's been wet out so I've not had the time to cast more than quick glance underneath at the adjuster, so I didn't get a great look at the connections on the rear cables myself, and none of the diagrams I can find really show where the cable connections are. RockAuto and GM parts direct both have several intermediate cables, even though I've specified by vehicle and year. Does it use two intermediate cables of different lengths?

These are the two from GM parts direct's list:

Considering one is 118mm and the other is 552mm, I suspect both are needed, but want to be sure before I order the wrong ones.

Maybe the longer one is for the 4 door, but I've specified '90 as the model year, so it shouldn't be there if it is.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,096 Posts
Just so you’ll know, the cables are secured with little fingers that spread apart when pushed thru the hole. They can be compressed using a screw clamp, or a deep socket over the end of the fitting and push. It has to be a snug fit to compress the fingers.

Reactions: Kally

·
time to get cereal
4,283 Posts
Did you search by your VIN? If you do, it's more accurate than selecting year/make/model

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried both, and it shows the exact same parts regardless. When you input the VIN it shows the same results as if you just select the year/make/model manually.

·
time to get cereal
4,283 Posts
I guess the listing isn't very accurate for Blazers. All of the parts that fit 2wd list the Oldsmobile Bravada as a fit, although that never came in 2wd.

Checked gmpartsgiant.com

They list a different cable, lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not so sure why these cables are such a headache. I crawled under my truck this afternoon since it finally stopped raining, and confirmed mine has the short intermediate cable like the kind RockAuto has been suggesting the whole time.

I'm fairly sure the left/right cables I've got in my basket are the correct ones, they're the parts that come up when I search the GM part numbers even if one of them isn't a part that fits my truck by RockAuto's reckoning, and the intermediate cable I measured doesn't match up with either of the cables from the GM part numbers website. The lengths of all the rear cables for sale are about an inch or two short from what the GM ones are supposed to be, but it's nothing that the adjustment shouldn't be able to take care of.

I've checked and double checked so I'm about as sure as I can get, I'll order these and cross my fingers. Will post up how it turns out when they're here to maybe save someone else a headache.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts