S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
nice the early 80s had the much better dash my dads got a 84 s10 durango with a 2.8 and its parked now but i always love the inside of it

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
while walking around my friends property i found a 83 or 84 baja 4x4 s10.

i dont know what the differences are in baja and regular s10 4x4, but the baja bumpers, and mud flares are coming off and going on my truck :D

also gonna take the wiring harnesses from it and put it in my truck..

same thing with this truck , you cant start it using the key, you gotta turn the key on and run 2 wires on the starter and cross them to get it to start..

any one know what the problem is ? have to use a push button to start it?

my 83 is was like that, and 3 85's and 84 i had where like that.

also is there any better parts on Baja s10's that would be good to swap out?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
i think everything else off the baja besides the 8 whole mags are the same as a regular s10

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
turns out the bumpers on the Baja are custom, they arent factory.

they are real freakin' cool tho! they got 2 thick tubes running horizontally , then bend around the corners.. ill have to snap a pic.

i just remembered, my replacement axel came off a 94 s10 blazer 4x4 with a 4.3 . will i have gear ratio issues?

·
Registered
123 Posts
if u have the old rear end count the teeth on the ring gear its prob has 41 tooth ring gear. im in the same pickle withmine i just cant find any one that wants to part with one. but ya i have rear ends her that go from 1984 to 1995 all have 41 ring tooth ring gear but there all 2wd except the one out of mine haha

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
since this truck is lifted, i wouldnt be able to buy stock shocks for it would i?
also does any one know what wire that goes in to the cab is the hot wire?

for under the hood im only gonna need the wire to kill to kill the motor ,
wires that go to the starter. every thing else i wanna cut out, but i dont know what wire is the HOT wire, that powers the lights , and every thing inside the cab. im going to use auto meter gauges, so id like to eleminate as much junk wires as i can.

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
UPDATE: i gotta take the wiring harness under the hood from my parts truck, swap it out with mine.
i have to rebuild the carburetor.
get all new vac hoses.
bleed the clutch and brakes.
put on my bumpers,
install new windshield.

my tank has 2 year old gas in it. it doesnt smell funky or nothing,
would i be add octane booster and use it, or should i just drain it?
rite now i have the fuel pump running off a 5 gal can of fresh gas.

also my swampers are low on tread, would i be able to "re groove" the tread pattern?

·
Registered
123 Posts
if u do use the old gas use some dry gas just to b safe as for the tire thing google it and i bet u could find ideas on how to groove them

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i been thinking of a tilting front end on my truck.

like the millitary hummers/humvees have the whole front end tilt forward to get to the engine,instead of the hood raising back wards.

any one ever seen this on a s10 before?

i was also had the idea of "lambo " doors, and a dump bed..

not real sure on the lambo doors, but the tilting front end and dump be would be cool...

ehhh... first i gotta get it running & driving / registered first :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey - I'm new on here, been hunting around for a little bit, I like what i see man!

-Dave

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
i want to put a 4.3 v6 in the truck later on.
i got a 89 tbi 4.3v6 , vin code Z i think.
i want to run carburetor and HEI iginition set up.

can i use 4.3v6 motor mounts from another truck,
can i use the oil pan that is on the 4.3?
can i take a bell housing from a 4.3v6 and bolt it up to the trans i have now?

i have a 4 or 5spd manual trans.

anyone know what kinda intake manifold ill need to use a carburetor on this motor?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
edelbrock makes a 4 barrel carb intake for the 4.3l and if the 4.3l came outta a 4x4 u can use it motor mounts have to come from a 4.3l truck donno if theres a differnce in 2x4 or 4x4 but um if u have the same tranny as i do the bell houesing doesnt come off without taking out the front seal

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
change of plans. im just gonna run the 2.8. its clean , rebuilt, only about a 1/2 mile on the rebuild :D
that motor spins them tires fine.over sized pistons, intake and heads ported,has headers,no y pipe, true dual exhaust.. motor has plenty power.

my clutch master or slave is bad, bled it and bled it, no fluid will come out the line once i crack it. so i cant shift gears with out it grinding. if i start it up in gear, it takes off :cool:

tomorow itll get a new slave/master and line, the windshield is going in in a few days, then i can bring the truck home and finish it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
nice man cant wait to see it complete

ya i donno what people are talking about with the 2.8ls under powered mine with the exhuast elec fan and a rebuild with about 3000 km on it will lay the rubber so easy then when it hooks it gone

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
update time!

took the wiring harness from my parts truck (under hood and dash) and installed it in my truck, took the steering column too.
all the lights and stuff work. i still gotta hook the ground wires.
some turn sig bulbs,the wipers,dash lights dont come on, probably cuz of the grounds.engine cranks using the key! so no more push button!!
all the vacuum stuff,canister, and all the hoses, the things on the pass fender well are coming off the parts truck and going on to mine.
monday ill install the carburetor,finish the ground wires, then i can start it.
after i bleed the clutch and brakes, i can drive it!

i guess im gonna paint it black , probably do flames on the hood and fenders.
the bed and fenders have nice black paint,mite as well just paint the cab,doors and hood black. it was gonna get a camo paint job to match the interior , but no need to waiste a good painted bed and fenders!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.