S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my project s10.i was gonna finish it, but stuff came up, had to get rid of it.2 years later my friend still has it, and hasnt touched it, im trading a 98 sonoma extra cab for it back, along with a 91 4x4 s10.

my truck is a 83 or 84 s10 4x4 (4 or 5spd) 2.8 v6. 3in body lift, not sure wat suspension lift it has. the motor was freshly rebuilt,then after i got rid of it, it got rained in when the hood blew off. look down the intake, you see water :(

originally before i abandoned the project, i did a complete body swap on it,rebuilt the motor and threw in a low miles trans.

what i wanna do is take the 4.3v6 and manual trans from the 91 s10 4x4 and put in my 83 s10. the electrical in the 83 is messed up. i took a wiring harness from a 84 4x4 s10 , and put it in, used the same harness under the hood, put in a battery and nothing worked (probably a ground)

im thinking of taking the WHOLE electrical system and putting it in the 83.
wiring harness under hood,under dash and the computer and steering column too, take it all from the 91 and put it in the 83, along with the motor/trans.

everything works in the 91,so i wanna swap it all out (91 is rusted out bad.)

ive done harness swaps on same year range, but not from 8 year diff.

any advice or some thing to watch out for when doing this?

ill post up pics in a few..

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

this is it after i pulled the rusted body off my 83 ^

this is it after the frame was cleaned up,axel swap ect ^

this is the truck i took the nice cab from ^

this is after i took the cab ^

this is the cab after it was gutted,bout to go on my 83 frame ^

this is the cab on my 83 frame ^

this is the junkyard picked fenders , also have a nice bed too! rust free ^

this is the custom dash installed,buckets and carpet from another truck ^

and this is where i left off.all i had to was put the bed on,install a windshield,
figure out the electrical problem.

now after 2 years of sitting, im gonna swap the 2.8 for a 4.3 +trans,and completely swap the electrical system!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
the dashes are differnt so u might gave a few plugs that are differnt there. if u can get the harnes under the dash working just change the part under the hood otherwise id say everything should work

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
like the dash

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
one question did the 2.8l turn those tires

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah,but i only drove the truck around the parking lot a few times a down the road when i first got the motor rebuilt. (it ran at a high idle when not in gear,plates where expired, never could take out for a real drive)
after i put the motor back in , after first ride in the parking lot, the rear end started to leak, the front brakes where seized, i had it towed to the shop , then to a friends house where we did the body swap,axels swap and suspension rebuild. but soon itll be a 4.3 v6 in there.

this thing has s10,s15 ,blazer parts on it, its a mutt!!

im thinking of actuall swapping the dash board along the wiring too, and just camo that dash board, sell the 83 dash i guess.

or keep the 83 dash and get all after market guages.
any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
wow i didnt the 2.8 would even turn them i got rebuilt one in my 85 4x4 its not bad but wish it was a 4.3l

um guages i would go autometer if u went aftermarket but i would say use the outher dash im trying to figure out what to do with my cluster its kinda screwed the circuts on the back for lights are screwed so im debateing about getting a used cluster or getting a newer style dash with the cluster

but what is there for a lift in it?

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
looks like itis still independant in the front so i would just a typical ifs lift kit 3 inches ay thats what my truck has but no suspension lift

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
ya with the 4.3 but just remember bigger tires mean more wearand tear on drivetrain parts like automatic transmition more gas ur gonna burn cuz ur gonna need more power to turn those tiresyour speedo will need to be recalabrated for bigger tires

·
Registered
123 Posts
we have a guys with a s10 blazer that has yoda housings its a auto trans and with a 2.8 and it turns 35 inch super swampers it was the 1st truck to make it threw the mud runs. nice thing about a small motor and big tires it doasnt have enough nads to spin a hole so the just go haha

·
Registered
123 Posts
o and the 83 guages wontwork with a 95 trans unless u can change the the tcase to run a cable fed speedo. i had to do it to my 86 2wd and i just changed tail shafts with one out of a 89

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill only tell how i did my dash, as long as no one copies me :D j/k

went to walmart, found some camo fabric, prepped the dash board, sprayed adhesion stuff on it, then glue and put the fabric on. take a few hours, gotta make the cuts just rite.

for my speedo , im gonna end up using after market. i think ill keep the dash i have now, use aftermarket gauges. take the wiring harnesses from the 91 4x4, wont use the stock 91's .or i might take it all from the 91 , and get the 91 speedo calibrated.

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya with the 4.3 but just remember bigger tires mean more wearand tear on drivetrain parts like automatic transmition more gas ur gonna burn cuz ur gonna need more power to turn those tiresyour speedo will need to be recalabrated for bigger tires
ill be using a 4.3v6, the manual trans thats behind the 4.3v6, the axel on the truck now also came from a s10 4x4 with a 4.3v6 too.

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay, my parts truck is nicer than my 83 that im trying to build. the 91 parts truck is clean,inside and out.realy dont wanna tear it apart now..
the 83 has a locked up motor,the electrical is all messed up, no windows..
the bottom of the cab is cracked,fuel tank is full of water. the parts truck runs and drives fine..

im thinking of taking the lift off my 83 and putting it on my 91 4x4..

will the lift bolt on to my 91 4x4 s10 (4.3, 5spd ) ??
ill up load some pics of the 91 tommorow..

·
Registered
123 Posts
as far as i know it should after all the s10 was one of the best things gm ever did hence y they hardly changed the drive line from 82 to 04haha. but whip out a tap and see if its all the its the same. i know my dads 84 front 4wd setup looks just like the one in my 91

·
4x4muddevil
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay, worked a little on the truck today.. forget it, im just gonna build up my 83. the "Rain water " ended up being plastic bag :haha:

the motor is not stuck... sooo , it being a rebuilt engine, im gonna run it!

i gotta get 2 wiring harnesses from another s10 and swap it out..
hooked up the battery, only my parking lights and turn sig/ head lights work.
rodents chewed through wires, you cant start it with the key (previous owner had it ran off push button)

tommorow im gonna get a can of gas and try to start the motor.
after i swap in another wiring harness,i gotta bolt the seats in, install a new windshield, bleed the brakes,put on new shocks ,then i should be able to drive it. after that i just gotta put the interior back together,clean it up.
its gonna get a camo paint job..

couldnt get more pics, battery was dead!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.