S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum, bought my 98 ZR2 new and in May '03 had my first real problem with the truck, at about 153,000 miles my trans went. Pulled the trans and had a local guy do a rebuild, when he pulled the pump the clutches and gears had been littereally broken into pieces, with metal shavings laying all over inside the trans. A week later, I put the trans back up, the guy also added a s-kit on a 1st -> 2nd shift. All was great until about 3 weeks ago, I had reluctantly taken my truck in and had new ball joints and control arm bushings put in, instead of doing it myself as I normally would, on the way home taking off from a light the my tranny just decided it would not shift to third, finally I pulled off along the road and put it in reverse, then back to drive, took off, and it shifted fine.

For a few days I had no problem, so I assumed maybe I had a backup in the filter, or something of the likes, and reverse just blew it open? At any rate, this happened once again, I pop'd it in reverse, and after a few trys, it shifted fine once again. However later on that day, same issue and since it refuses to shift to third. I know this is an extremely long shot, but anyone have any idea what the issue is? Any chance on some kind of electrical problem? (maybe it wasn't reverse, but just a rubbing wire that was causing my problem) the only reason I ponder electrical is the fools putting in my balljoints.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think your best bet would be to have a shop put a scanner on the transmission to see whats going on. There is a test harness under there next to the harness that plugs into the trans. That and a pressure test should get you an answer sooner than this post will, seems like a more complex problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts