S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my 1st 1st gen s10 it's pretty rough but I think I got it cheap enough didn't realize it was missing a starter and fuel filter but replaced those and a hot battery and it cranked started and died. Was curious if anyone had any ideas it's getting fuel. The vaccum system is missing some lines I would appreciate any help thanks
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Car Rim
Car alarm Hand Automotive tire Gesture Finger
Automotive tire Grey Rim Hood Fender

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get some gas mixed with 2 stroke oil and pour a shot glass worth down the yap. If it runs and dies chances are you have fuel delivery issues.

if You can get it to bark off, quickly get under hood and look realclose at the injector. If it’s spraying then you know you’ve got fuel

·
Registered
86 Posts
Get some gas mixed with 2 stroke oil and pour a shot glass worth down the yap. If it runs and dies chances are you have fuel delivery issues.

if You can get it to bark off, quickly get under hood and look realclose at the injector. If it’s spraying then you know you’ve got fuel
I recently bought my 1st 1st gen s10 it's pretty rough but I think I got it cheap enough didn't realize it was missing a starter and fuel filter but replaced those and a hot battery and it cranked started and died. Was curious if anyone had any ideas it's getting fuel. The vaccum system is missing some lines I would appreciate any help thanks View attachment 363944 View attachment 363945 View attachment 363946 View attachment 363947
Thumbs up in the blue bottle of oil stashed under the hood. There's one under my hood just like it. Shoulda been a factory option on S10s.
-That throttle body is filthy inside. Looks like it was run without an air filter for a while, maybe sitting uncovered. And there are weeds growing in the motor. Rough is right.
Look straight down in the throttle body with a flashlight to make sure it's not plugged with debris. Or dead mice.
If you get it running good, drive it to a store and buy a lotto ticket. If it kinda runs but badly, you need to check the compression due to the filthy intake.
Missing vaccum lines need to be taken care of. An open vac line is akin to a cut or shorted wire.
I've used a both turkey baster and a syringe filled will gas to drip into an engine to keep it running long enough to figure other stuff out. I've also poured it out of a cap and caused a backfire, blowing a ball of fire & fuel into my face & trimming my hair. More than once. That would definitely take care of those weeds & spider webs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had one of my injectors (4.3) not spraying right and it would start and die, but didn't have enough fuel to idle. Replaced the bad one and it has ran fine since. I would start with a deep cleaning ASAP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Leave the driver door open, turn the key to Start position without cranking. When you turn the key to that 1st stop position, you want to listen for the fuel pump to kick on. Only going to "hum" for about 2 - 3 seconds.
Hopefully you will hear it. If not, check the fuse and relay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts