S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1636 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY! Well I decided rather then whoring up the site with pictures of my truck progress everytime I do something to it, Id start one of these oober cool project threads.

Little background:

Ive got a 2001 Noma CrewCab 4x4, My father bought it new, he recently discovered that buick has come out with some pretty cool "old man whips". He went to trade in the Noma and they offered him $2,200 For it to put twards a New Buick. I heard that price and just about went down there myself to slap the dude. Long story short, I knew I needed a second vehicle as my avalanche is getting alot of miles put on her, So I stole the Noma for 2,200 buckaroonies.:p

Goal: Go as low as possible with still being a daily driver and keeping 4x4 completely functional as I live in the foothills of Salt Lake City Utah and haul around two small children, so id like to keep us all as safe as possible while in blizzards.

This is how i got her, Except it had a shell on it, which....in my mind is very convenient.... but not worth the embarrisment of having the ugliest truck on the road all because of a shell...

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Few More Pics of the truck Stock:

Rear tire gap :

Front tire gap:

I started this project about two months ago, and hadent been taking pictures until recently so... ill have to go take some soon.

just last week I got done lowering her. I really wasnt sure how I felt about blowing money on leafs and expensive blocks ect until I knew for sure all the geometry wit the 4x4 system would still work and stay reliable.

I went to ebay ( U know whats coming next dont u? )

and I got myself a springtech kit, lowering keys, 4'' angled blocks and u bolts. I know, I know, cheap product blah blah blah. I also got myself some DJM Drop shox for the front and Monroe air max shocks for the rear with the autozone air line kit as the monroe air line parts royally BLOW!

This is what I got after install:

Looks okay, the 235/75R15 Tires were WAY to big and if I ran over a marble with the wheels turned it would rub... HARD. I had my torsion keys adjusted so my front fender height was at 28 1/8 Inches with the giant tires. I forgot to measure stock height but its a pretty big difference!

as you can tell, Its still got quite a bit of rake, normally I wouldnt mind it but something about the crew cab rakes out makes me wanna puke.

The good news is, the kit installed with no problems, it only took a couple hours. no vibrations or anything at any speed. Allthough I did notice a "Creeking" Noise coming from the rear of my truck when the body would flex, kinda odd?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ANyways after a couple of days driving it with the "Creek" coming from the rear end I kept jacking up the truck and checking to make sure the U Bolts were tight. when that didnt solve anything I started calling a couple experts. I got one generic answer "Springtech blocks have alot of problems, Replace them with good blocks"

So I decided I was gonna get under there one final time just to make sure I didnt do anything wrong and in the process I decided I would monoleaf it to get the ass end down a little more. Got everything torn down, monoleaf complete, put everything back together, this time paying extra attention to the blocks & U bolts. long story short, I torqued everything down and no more creek? WTF> Im guessing my u bolts were not parallel ( cant spell) or possible maybe one of my blocks were shifted just a tiny bit? Oh well, its fixed now.
oh, and I also got smaller tires: 215/70R15 even after monoleafing and 4' block it wasnt completely level, so I adjust the front end up 3/4 of an inch until I can pickup some loweing leafs and blocks.

Only problem as of right now, When Im runnin Low PSI in the rear shocks at freeway speed I have moderate U joint vibraition. Since the crew cab has a relitively short 1pc. driveshaft, I think id be good with a flat 4' block w/ mono leaf. no need for angled. But for now Ive found out if I run at or around 50 psi my vibration is gone and it drives SMOOTH!

Now your all up to date, tomorrow I will be trimming and re routing my air lines to a super cool location :) and hopefully doin some stereo work cause this stock crap isnt cuttin it now that im ballin. :cool:

3,006 Posts
Whattttt!! $2200. Damn that's a good deal. I know you know these trucks still hold their value at like 8k-10k on Craigslist.

Nice truck though, i'll give you double what you have in it. lol.
Good luck with your project, looks pretty good on stock wheels lowered already.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed My Kenwood Exelon 994 Today, works great, bluetooth and media transfer is awsome!

Also, I needed a good spot to mount the T Valve for my rear air shocks... Ive seen people mount them in all sorts of places, in the frame, rocker, in the cab, in the bed.... I decided I wanted to mount in inside the fuel door, it worked out great! I didnt need to drill any new holes and the door shuts perfectly as if I didnt do anything.

If your curious what those metal round things are on the right, they are magnets.. lol Gettho I know, but my fuel door spring bracket deal is bent, I replaced the spring and it would just pop out, so rather then dealing with the fuel door issue i placed a couple magnets in there, works great! good enough until I shave the filler door

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,510 Posts
Oh wow. that looks awesome!!! Changed my whole opinion on these things dropped! now i want one haha.

·
Low is a Lifestyle
302 Posts
Good looking truck! Jealous of the price too! Throw some 18s on it and call it a day

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I appreciate it! I have been slacking, but I got my extreme roll pan on, had a huge dent in the lower left bed corner that was hidden by the stock bumper I had to fix, the sun was killin me last week so I tinted my windows 30% too. helps quite a bit! Pics tomorrow afternoon!

This Friday will be ordering Ss mirrors, tailgate shave kit, third brake light filler plate and antenna filler plate...

HOPEFULLY will be gettin new drop springs for the back and new blocks to. We will see. If not, will have to wait till mid august.

Once I get my new rear suspension done, building a flush tonneau cover and some door poppers. Possibly suicide my rear doors. Hopefully can make a new parts list come end of august!

·
Hated Everywhere
142 Posts
I'm diigin it!!! Looks bitchin!!! And you kept the 4x4 functionality!!! That's awsome! Looking forward to seeing what else you do to it... And your a bastard for getting it for $2200! =) jk

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,510 Posts
You have inspired me to get one of these lol. thank you. :haha: cant wait to see all the new goodies on it!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have you gotten any strange looks while airing up the shocks yet? lol
Lol everytime I air up at a gas station! People are like WTF?:cool: Is this guy doin with an air hose in his gas tank... Lol but it's the best place I've found so far...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey man what head unit install kit did you get? I have been looking for a flush mount for awhile but I can't figure out which kit to get!! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey man what head unit install kit did you get? I have been looking for a flush mount for awhile but I can't figure out which kit to get!! Thanks for the info.
It's the metre kit I believe was the brand. Got it at best buy. It's a universal gm kit that comes in a big bag. I looked at the kid in the stereo section like he was nuts when he said it's what I needed. Worked out freakin awsome. Cost 21 bucks but it's 200 times better then the schoshe kits from wallyworld

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,510 Posts
looks good man! plan on repainting the back the same color or redoing the whol truck?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
looks good man! plan on repainting the back the same color or redoing the whol truck?
Well as far as the body goes,got to build my flush tonneau cover, I'm shaving third brake light, antenna,tailgate handle and the doors so, after that's all done I'll be looking twards an insane paint scheme. I thought about just a simple murdered truck. Everything black. But, something is making me wanna do a Cali custom paint job. Off whites, green, maybe silver leaf. I still have six Months to figure that out lol. I want to wait until mid march for paint, it's a daily driver, cruising in Utah snow with brand new paint=not cool lol

1 - 20 of 1636 Posts