S-10 Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

Registered
You guys and your truck names.. 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ maybe I'll name mine Red...after Red Forman. With his rep for sticking his foot...well you know where..:rolleyes:
Right now, I refer to mine as "The Distraction," but we have some neighbors who call the cops whenever it's out in the driveway, and recently someone called the police to say we had "Blight" in our yard. So, once it's running, I might get the plate "BLIGHT" for it until the bugs are worked out and it's all one color. lol If I go with red, I'm considering "Mr. Pool" lol

Crazy Engineer
Discussion Starter #62
Right now, I refer to mine as "The Distraction," but we have some neighbors who call the cops whenever it's out in the driveway, and recently someone called the police to say we had "Blight" in our yard. So, once it's running, I might get the plate "BLIGHT" for it until the bugs are worked out and it's all one color. lol If I go with red, I'm considering "Mr. Pool" lol
Wow some people really have nothing better to do. The blight plate is a good idea tho lol

Old Fart
Wow, those posts were worth waiting for, you have some serious skills! 馃槑

Crazy Engineer
Discussion Starter #64
Wow, those posts were worth waiting for, you have some serious skills! 馃槑
Thank you!!! Definitely a lot of learning, but its so much fun.

So I actually ended up getting a new job!! I'll still be an electrical engineer, but for a place that makes fuel control systems for industrial diesel engines, so I'm really really excited. Hopefully I'll learn a lot more about how to make these things more efficient and the in/outs of them. So there might be a bigger delay in updates...but I also got a really nice bump in pay so hopefully with the extra income I can do way more with the build.

I wasn't planning on rebuilding the engine or trans any time soon, but with this latest change I think I'm definitely going to rebuild the trans at least. I might even get a new camshaft and swap that out before I throw the engine in, since that was going to need to be done eventually. Heck maybe ill try out one of those Colt cams and a bigger turbo, to really make this thing sing. 馃槑

Crazy Engineer
Discussion Starter #65
Took most of this week off with the rest of the vacation I had at my old job. I finally took the plunge and welded in the cab corner and roof panel. Needless to say I'm no professional and I didn't expect it to come out great, but to be honest I can definitely say that I'm happy and proud of what I was able to achieve as a newbie.

Some areas aren't perfectly flat and there's some warpage, but I think I can hide most of the imperfections with body filler, or at least minimize them a decent amount. Also since the entire cab is getting raptor lined, I think that will hide them even more, so I should end up with a decent result when its all said and done.

Initial welds on the cab corner

Ended up poking a hole in it from grinding, but I was able to fill it back in

Roof top and sides, I just have the front to finish up tomorrow. There's still a bunch of the windshield glue I gotta remove.

This is the body filler I'm gonna use. I think it will be more waterproof than normal body filler and fill in the imperfections nicely. I'm also going to try to seam seal the inside as much as I can.

Hopefully I can finish up the front of the roof panel tomorrow and clean everything to get it ready for body filler. It's been super cold these past few days so hopefully that stuff doesn't stink too much so I can keep the garage door closed and open the back room to heat up the garage. If not I'll have to do it in the cold, then ill put the cab aside since I really shouldn't paint till the spring. I think then Ill either start tearing apart one of the transmissions or get the frame in the garage to be stripped and fix the frame cracks. Gotta get my dad to come fix the cracks tho since hes a pro lol.

Old Fart
Just because you are using "Marine Filler" You still should seal it with epoxy primer to be safe.

Crazy Engineer
Discussion Starter #67
Just because you are using "Marine Filler" You still should seal it with epoxy primer to be safe.
Yeah definitely, everything is getting primed with raptors "anti corosive epoxy primer" before the raptor liner. There's a pic of the products in post #28. Hopefully all this stuff holds up. New England is really harsh on vehicles :(

Registered
Yeah definitely, everything is getting primed with raptors "anti corosive epoxy primer" before the raptor liner. There's a pic of the products in post #28. Hopefully all this stuff holds up. New England is really harsh on vehicles :(
I will definitely be following this build. I always loved S10s. I've had an 87 convertible truck an 83 v8 lowrider truck bought a new 97 sportside. Now i have a 2000 and 2002 4wd blazers and currently looking for a decent 4 door s10 for a TDI swap.

Crazy Engineer
Discussion Starter #69
So nothing new to really report, been pretty cold lately and I've been pretty busy with my new job.

Though I went to visit my grandparents in PA over the weekend and scored some sweet aluminum side steps (nerf bars/running boards?) off a ZR5 we found there! only $21 too!!!! 馃槷

The clips on the driver side plastic are broken (guessing since its the most used one) so ill swap it with the back passenger one since that one will likely never be used and either epoxy it or use some other adhesive.

I might have to shorten them up if they look weird, but I'm hoping I can line it up to where the back step is close enough to use to get up to access the back of the bed.

Crazy Engineer
Discussion Starter #70
So I had some time today to modify my dash to fit the Silverado cluster. Just some trimming with a hot knife to prevent making a mess with a dremel, so the cuts arent the cleanest but I think it looks pretty good. I got it sitting at the factory angle too =D

Some cuts on the lower part of the dash.

Gonna either epoxy the factory tabs or some 3d printed mounts to keep it held in place (though the surround holds it still once installed)

Final result

61 - 71 of 71 Posts