S-10 Forum banner

Should I swap my 5.7L 350 into my 2.2L S10?

• No Don't Waste Anymo' Money On This Truck

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I know this horse has been beaten and beaten and beaten but please give me a sec of your time.
I have a 5.7L 350 (engine code 10243880) from a 97' auto c/k 1500 that I am planning on slipping into my 99' auto S10 2.2L truck.

I need to know a few things that I can't seem to get definite answers on from Google, in the search here or from companies online. I do plan on buying both JagsThatRun manuals but I would hate to spend $100 on something I don't need if it would be dumb to try and use this motor. I am planning a mild 300-350hp build.

1: Will my 2nd gen 2.2L 4L60E trans (the one with the removable bellhousing) bolt up to this 350? Do I need a spacer and if it will bolt up does anyone know which wiring harness is best to buy for that setup since my trans is electronic with overdrive? If I need to use a TH350 instead what will I need to do to make a 350/th350 drivetrain work as far as rear end and driveshaft? I have 4.10 gears and 10 bolt, what should I do?

2: I plan on cooling with ECPs dual fan 3000cfm radiator kit
3: The motor will be rebuilt, hot bathed and decked. I'm thinking a mild crane cam (219) but I don't know which intake manifold or carb to use.
4: I have a high performance fuel filter already installed.
5: I plan on using s10v8.coms "swap in a box"
6: How much can I get for my flawlessly operating 2.2L with 75k on the ticker?

Thanks for your help peeps. If I have forgotten any details to assist me in reaching my goal just ask.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,662 Posts
Your might want to read your state vehicle codes. I'm pretty sure your vehicle will not pass emission inspection with that combination.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
2,016 Posts
Hey guys, I know this horse has been beaten and beaten and beaten but please give me a sec of your time.
I have a 5.7L 350 TBI (engine code 10243880) from a 97' auto c/k 1500 that I am planning on slipping into my 99' auto S10 2.2L truck.

I need to know a few things that I can't seem to get definite answers on from Google, in the search here or from companies online. I do plan on buying both JagsThatRun manuals but I would hate to spend $100 on something I don't need if it would be dumb to try and use this motor. I am planning a mild 300-350hp build.

1: Will my 2nd gen 2.2L 4L60E trans (the one with the removable bellhousing) bolt up to this 350? Do I need a spacer and if it will bolt up does anyone know which wiring harness is best to buy for that setup since my trans is electronic with overdrive? If I need to use a TH350 instead what will I need to do to make a 350/th350 drivetrain work as far as rear end and driveshaft? I have 4.10 gears and 10 bolt, what should I do?

3: The motor will be rebuilt, hot bathed and decked. I'm thinking a mild crane cam (219) but I don't know which intake manifold or carb to use.

Thanks for your help peeps. If I have forgotten any details to assist me in reaching my goal just ask.
1. Not sure on the differences with the 2.2 trans bell... but you could swap the bell to the 4.3/SBC pattern bell and it should bolt up. As far as spacers, @Transman304 would be better suited to answer your questions, I don't know if the input shafts or TC's are different between the 2.2 and 4.3 4L60E's. The wiring harness should be one that operates the black box Vortec PCM.
One of the other guys would be better suited to answer, the 95-97' were really bastard years for GM when it came to cross over stuff.
2. What is the ECP kit? Link? In lieu, an intrepid fan setup would also work.
3. @oldeerslayer can probably help with this.
4. Ok.
5. Not familiar with, but s10v8.com is reputable and has been around a long time, probably good stuff.
6. Virtually nothing, except its weight in iron at the scrappers.

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 5.7L 350 TBI (engine code 10243880) from a 97' auto c/k 1500 that I am planning on slipping into my 99' auto S10 2.2L truck.

Your might want to read your state vehicle codes. I'm pretty sure your vehicle will not pass emission inspection with that combination.
No one checks that in Va 😬

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Not sure on the differences with the 2.2 trans bell... but you could swap the bell to the 4.3/SBC pattern bell and it should bolt up. As far as spacers, @Transman304 would be better suited to answer your questions, I don't know if the input shafts or TC's are different between the 2.2 and 4.3 4L60E's. The wiring harness should be one that operates the black box Vortec PCM.
One of the other guys would be better suited to answer, the 95-97' were really bastard years for GM when it came to cross over stuff.
2. What is the ECP kit? Link? In lieu, an intrepid fan setup would also work.
3. @oldeerslayer can probably help with this.
4. Ok.
5. Not familiar with, but s10v8.com is reputable and has been around a long time, probably good stuff.
6. Virtually nothing, except its weight in iron at the scrappers.
Thanks for the info the ECP kit is here ECP Radiator Fan Kit

·
Been there Done it
9,206 Posts
The 880 block was used for both the TBI trucks and the Vortec trucks. You say it is a 97 TBI. Can't be. 95 would be an 880 TBI. 96-97 would be a Vortec with the better heads and CSFI. It can be either roller or flat cam, but should be drilled for the roller cam retainer and lifter retainer. Not 100% sure they drilled the 95 blocks but it should be cast with the lifter retainer risers. Can be drilled for either 2 or 4 bolt mains. Not usually drilled for a mechanical fuel pump. Not the best choice for a stroker as the cylinder walls are short. A 638 block makes a better base for a 383 because it has longer cylinder walls.
Forget the tutu trans. Even if you can get it to fit the internals won't like a V8. A 4l60E 2wd pickup or van trans would be a better choice. Same dimensions, but stronger.
You are going to have electrical issues with a carb. There won't be sensors needed for the computer which will make it not want to control the trans and your gauges won't work. You'll be better off putting Vortec heads and intake system on it. Then just program your PCM as a C1500. Or get one out of a 99 (only) van or 2wd truck.
I bought one of those radiators for my ZR2. Had too seriously cut into the support to fit it in front of a V8 and it's more than you need. Get a support and rad out of a 4.3 truck. You'll still need to recess the rad, but not nearly as much.
Not a big fan of that swap in a box kit. Wrong rad -99 4.3 works better, don't need a special starter - any late 90's 5.7 starter fits., don't like the JTR style motor mounts - they move the engine to the right too far. Advance Adapters makes the best ones. Don't pay $30 for a pair of 2.8 frame mounts. Rockauto has them for $3 each. I have bought s10v8's ceramic coated headers. They're OK, but you'll want MLS head to header gaskets and copper collector gaskets unless you like replacing paper ones. They blow out quickly.
The other issue with "swap in a box" is it doesn't include the 100's of small parts your going to need. Hoses, clamps, belts, fuel lines, etc.
The JTR books are OK but pretty dated. You can find all you need reading the complete V8 section of this forum, twice. Plus you'll get more than one guys opinion on how to do it.
Any 87 or newer car V8 oilpan should work and easily clear the crossmember. Don't buy a chrome one, they all leak because the gaskets can't seal to chrome. Who's going to see it?
My advice would be find a 96-02 Vortec 5.7 with a trans attached and just get it in and running before you spend a fortune building a new engine. A year from now when you have all the bugs our of your swap, build a better motor. The actual amount of time it will take to swap long blocks then will be nothing compared to the amount of time you'll spend getting everything collected and sorted out. Besides, by then you'll know every nut and bolt under the hood of that truck intimately.
Get it in and running, then deal with more power, brakes, suspension, etc. You'll end up glad you have the money you would have spent on the motor for buying the 100's of little things.
Of course this is just one mans opinion, too.

Reactions: Badvibe1117

·
Registered
99' S10 LS 2.2L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 880 block was used for both the TBI trucks and the Vortec trucks. You say it is a 97 TBI. Can't be. 95 would be an 880 TBI. 96-97 would be a Vortec with the better heads and CSFI. It can be either roller or flat cam, but should be drilled for the roller cam retainer and lifter retainer. Not 100% sure they drilled the 95 blocks but it should be cast with the lifter retainer risers. Can be drilled for either 2 or 4 bolt mains. Not usually drilled for a mechanical fuel pump. Not the best choice for a stroker as the cylinder walls are short. A 638 block makes a better base for a 383 because it has longer cylinder walls.
Forget the tutu trans. Even if you can get it to fit the internals won't like a V8. A 4l60E 2wd pickup or van trans would be a better choice. Same dimensions, but stronger.
You are going to have electrical issues with a carb. There won't be sensors needed for the computer which will make it not want to control the trans and your gauges won't work. You'll be better off putting Vortec heads and intake system on it. Then just program your PCM as a C1500. Or get one out of a 99 (only) van or 2wd truck.
I bought one of those radiators for my ZR2. Had too seriously cut into the support to fit it in front of a V8 and it's more than you need. Get a support and rad out of a 4.3 truck. You'll still need to recess the rad, but not nearly as much.
Not a big fan of that swap in a box kit. Wrong rad -99 4.3 works better, don't need a special starter - any late 90's 5.7 starter fits., don't like the JTR style motor mounts - they move the engine to the right too far. Advance Adapters makes the best ones. Don't pay $30 for a pair of 2.8 frame mounts. Rockauto has them for $3 each. I have bought s10v8's ceramic coated headers. They're OK, but you'll want MLS head to header gaskets and copper collector gaskets unless you like replacing paper ones. They blow out quickly.
The other issue with "swap in a box" is it doesn't include the 100's of small parts your going to need. Hoses, clamps, belts, fuel lines, etc.
The JTR books are OK but pretty dated. You can find all you need reading the complete V8 section of this forum, twice. Plus you'll get more than one guys opinion on how to do it. Any 87 or newer car V8 oilpan should work and easily clear the crossmember. Don't buy a chrome one, they all leak because the gaskets can't seal to chrome. Who's going to see it?
My advice would be find a 96-02 Vortec 5.7 with a trans attached and just get it in a running before you spend a fortune building a new engine. A year from now when you have all the bugs our of your swap, build a better motor. The actual amount of time it will take to swap long blocks then will be nothing compared to the amount of time you'll spend getting everything collected and sorted out. Besides, by then you'll know every nut and bolt under the hood of that truck intimately.
Get it in and running, then deal with more power, brakes, suspension, etc. You'll end up glad you have the money you would have spent on the motor for buying the 100's of little things.
Of course this is just one mans opinion, too.
-It is a 2 bolt main Vortec with a roller cam, sorry mate.

-You said forget the tutu trans and go with a 4l60e 2wd trans. I have the 4l60E in my tutu. I can see the removable bellhousing and every youtube video that I have watched says my 99' truck has the 2nd gen 4l60e.

-You went with the ECP radiator and had to cut into the support? That sucks, they claim the latest edition gives enough room and no cutting needed.

-My uncle has the 97 vortec 5.7 motor for me already. He is ready to rebuild it because that is what he does. It is a nephew/uncle project lol. Unfortunately he got this motor because it needed to be pulled and replaced so I will need to find a trans. if my 4l60e won't mate. So the 4l60e will bolt right up to this motor? I was originally going with a 4.8 or 5.3 LS but this fell into my lap. Thanks for taking the time to write back.

20200928_171647.jpg
20200928_172654.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts