S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a quick question. A good friend of mine has a 1998 s-10 with the 2.2. The truck as 80,000 miles on it. His second timing chan broke not to long ago. He had a guy replace it and now after the truck warms up the oil pressure drops to about 5. He replaced the oil pressure switch. There is no noise in the motor. If you raise the idle the oil pressure goes up a little bit. at start up there is 45 psi. Anybody have any ideas what could be going on.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
The cam bearings have a big effect on oil pressure, possible damage to the bearings from a couple of broken chains maybe. Also there's a oil galley plug right behind the cam gear that has a 1mm hole for oiling the chain, maybe the installer did something to that. If it was removed and left out you probably wouldn't read much if any oil pressure at all.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy that did the timing chain forgot to put the plug in after the timing chain job. It ran good for a little while and then the oil pressure fell out. Could it have caused damage driving it with out that plug in it? I will be putting a manual oil gauge on it to verify the cluster is reading correct.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
If there's no noise, like a spun bearing knock, I'd say there was not fatal damage. But low oil pressure like that is a good sign of worn bearings. What viscosity oil?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the oil was just changed, he would have put what ever oil in it that it calls for. Could he have gotten a bad oil pressure switch? If the reading on the gauge is correct of 4-5 psi wouldn't the top of the motor be starting to rattle due to no oil? I really hope it's not the cam bearings. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts