S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1998 5 speed S-10 that is vibrating and making a humming noise. i jacked up the rear end and put her into 1st gear. i noticed the driveshaft not spinning in a perfect circle, but more of a wobbling circle.
this problem just started monday morning driving to work. the faster i drive the more vobrating/noise i get. i have posted in other forums and have gotten different answers. some have replied that it is the carrier bearings, u-joints, and unbalanced shaft. being a 2.2L, i do not drive my truck hard. does my truck have a carrier bearing? i looked at the driveshaft and seen a weight on it. how many should be on there? i moved the shaft up/down and front to back and there is no play. the tires were replaced 4 months ago and still have the balance weights on them, so i am ruling unbalanced tires out. my only guess would be the carrier bearings if i do have it. what would you think?

--scott

·
Broke Mini-Trucker
139 Posts
Did you run something over or any thing that would involve hittin and bending the driveshaft. The carrier brg is a possibility also. The bushings wear out on them. I would also rule out the tires, as long as the proper weights were used and one didnt come off. I'd try to find a local shop that does free inspections, then tell them youll come back and just do the work at home!

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
It's probably the rear U joint. You only have a carrier bearing if you have an extended cab, which you didn't say if yours was or not. U joints are a pain in the butt to change unless you have a torch to torch out the old ones. They have an injected plastic that holds the bearing caps in and are a BITCH to get out. I had to do it on my 98 S10. It took hours of beating to get them out because I was using a propane hand held torch to try and melt them out and it just does NOT get it hot enough. I did both front and rear joints on mine and it solved the problem. If you don't know how to replace them, take it to a shop. If you get under the truck with it off and in gear, try turning the drive shaft. If it turns some, the needle bearings in the U joint are shot. They are very weak in the 2.2 trucks for some reason. I put heavy duty ones in. Too bad the truck got totalled a few weeks later. I think the ones in my 98 Sonoma are starting to go. I hear a slight "ping" when I let out on the clutch from a stop. That's what it started as on my S10 then it started getting noisier and then started vibrating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts