S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help and suggestions needed y'all. I just had a mechanic rebuild and repair my Nv1500 tranny in my 98 s10 and installed a new flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder, bearings, etc.

BUT he used some kind of standard thicker gear oil to fill the transmission up with and I'm worried it might not be good for the tranny. I didn't confront him or question him on it since he's a great guy good mech too, yet now I have 4 bottles of the recommended AC Delco friction modified synchromesh 10-4014 fluid and am tempted to do a quick drain and refill to avoid any long term damage as I've only put like 100-200 mile on it so far. It does seem a little louder than it was before with some slight extra vibrations letting off the clutch when shifting in 1st and second. Although it must be noted that he found several busted transmission mounts and a missing motor mount that he replaced in the process, possibly now allowing more vibrations to the chassis that everything's all bolted up tight like its supposed to be.

Thanks guys

·
It's mostly BS
2,936 Posts
A good mechanic should have no problem telling you what fluid he put in your transmission. GM and Chrysler have used the NV1500 and both require the use of their friction modified fluids so you're throwing dice putting anything else in there. If he didn't use the right fluid or won't tell you, I'd swap it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did replace it with the OE stuff, it made a difference! Shifts into 2nd smoother when rolling, a bit less vibratory, seems less loud as well. He had put some kind of standard gear oil in it, was a thick gray color. Nothing like the Synchromesh fluid. Thanks for the input y'all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts