S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 1997 Zr2 with 80,000 miles for 7,000. I am wondering why The antifreeze was a rusty red when I was checking around. Could any of you help me out?

·
Phoenix
505 Posts
It is Dex-Cool, it has been factory fill since 96 or 97. There have been problems reported with its use, but I have used it ( Havoline Dex-Cool ) in all of my vehicles since 98 and have had no problems.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Check the coolant resiviour, if there is a blackish material on the walls, you probably have old coolant.
Open up the radiator and look at the inner meal fins-if you can't see them ask to drain some coolant. If you explain your conserns the seller should not object. IF the rad looks nice, you'll probably be fine with a flush and fresh coolant.
If the rad looks corroded, you MAY be fine with a flush and fill--but you may also need a new rad and heater core in the future.

I wouldn't consider this a deal breaker, but just go into the purchase knowing what you're geting into.

But yeah, bravada is right, dex-cool is naturally a darkish orange.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys Im probably gonna check out the car again on Friday and possibly buy it. Are there any other things I should check for on a 97 ZR2 with 80,000 miles that are known to be problematic on the car? Again thanks for the help

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
if you find that thee radiator and all that is bad im sure he'll knock off a chunk of money. find out how much all that would be before you go back to the guy. you mite be able to get it for 6k

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
100,000 mile coolant looks like poo when it actually does hit 100,000 miles. flush it out asap if you decide to buy it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HOLY SH*T nice suspension pyros. I think i will get the Blazer. Im gonn ahave about 1,500 extra to spend after buying the car and flushing and refilling. I don't know what to add. I know I'm gonna have to dump some serious dollars in it if I want to make it faster so I was thinking maybe a grill guard or running board nerf bars. I'm new to suv's so any suggestions would help. Any good places to buy grill guards or nerf bars/running boards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts