S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1997 Chevy Blazer 4X4
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 97 blazer 4X4 has a blown intake gasket on its 4.3 and instead of fixing I think I might just V8 swap. Either way I'm buying the motor but am not 100% sure it's going in the blazer yet. I'm ordering a GM performance 357hp 350 long block and an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 XT EFI System. The reason I'm up in the air on swapping it in the blazer is I am unsure of the wiring to keep my gauges working. Probably going to just swap the transmission for a lightly built 700r4 so I can skip getting a controller and not be as worried about burning up the stock 4l60E. Are there any good articles on going from fuel injected to carburetor as this will pretty much be the same as far as the factory wire harness is concerned. Or am better off starting with an older chassis? I'm not new to mechanics just never eliminated the fuel injection on a vehicle before. I need my gauges to work.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,562 Posts
Moved to V8 Discussion.

·
Been there Done it
8,557 Posts
So my 97 blazer 4X4 has a blown intake gasket on its 4.3 and instead of fixing I think I might just V8 swap.
Heck of a lot of difference between $100 intake gasket swap and a $5000 crate engine V8 swap.

As far as the gauges go, thru 97 it's not a problem keeping the oil pressure, fuel level, and water temp since they have individual sender going to the instruments. OEM 6 cylinder tachs don't work with V8's unless you get a $100 Dakota Digital conversion box. The speedo does go thru the PCM. I'd call Dakota, they might have a box for that also. Starting in 98 is when all gauges went thru the PCM via serial data and if you delete the original PCM for a carburetor or in your case a stand alone FI system it gets difficult to keep the original gauges. On the other hand, on any 96+ thru 02 S10 if you swap in a Vortec L31 5.7 you can keep the original PCM or upgrade to an 0411 and keep everything as it was.
One potential problem I see in your situation is how are going to control the transmission? If you switch to aftermarket FI I doubt it's ECM will also control a 4L60E.

·
Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
98 Posts
On a 97, you must provide 5v and ground to the little two wire connector under the hood on the passenger side by the computer for the fuel gauge to work. The speedo is electric so make sure your trans has a sensor and not a gear. You will need the stock computer or an aftermarket driver for that to work. All other gauges are manual and can be wired right up. The are different temp sensors for different gauges, so use the correct style and adapt it to your engine.

·
1997 Chevy Blazer 4X4
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had thought about doing just a 5.7 vortec but if I am going to do the work and spend the money I want more power. Think we might just sell the blazer and start with a first gen regular cab S10 truck. Will simplify things. I wanted a first gen truck to begin with but got the blazer at a good price. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts