S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought this '97 about a month ago. The dealer had it listed as an LS, but when I got there it had the SS emblems. Thanks to all you other people's post, I was able to verify that it is a Super Sport. It has the B4U, GU6, and YC3 codes. I don't think these are the original wheels. They are 16" and have "IROC Z" on the center caps. I'm guessing they are Camaro wheels? I'm thinking the fender flares, and bed rails are after market. I'm wondering if the "Heartbeat of America" on the tailgate with the pin stripping was a dealer add on, or aftermarket. It doesn't have the third shock on the rear end that I have read about. I'm thinking that the dual exhaust ports are aftermarket also. Correct? I'm hoping to hear from you experts on these questions. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered Hoosier
4,550 Posts
The original grille would have been color keyed. Looks pretty nice. Could be put back to original pretty easily if desired.

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
I just bought this '97 about a month ago. The dealer had it listed as an LS, but when I got there it had the SS emblems. Thanks to all you other people's post, I was able to verify that it is a Super Sport. It has the B4U, GU6, and YC3 codes. I don't think these are the original wheels. They are 16" and have "IROC Z" on the center caps. I'm guessing they are Camaro wheels? I'm thinking the fender flares, and bed rails are after market. I'm wondering if the "Heartbeat of America" on the tailgate with the pin stripping was a dealer add on, or aftermarket. It doesn't have the third shock on the rear end that I have read about. I'm thinking that the dual exhaust ports are aftermarket also. Correct? I'm hoping to hear from you experts on these questions. Thanks
Looks like the P.O. took a stroll thru the JC Whitney or Lund catalog. It's possible the rear was changed or the shock was removed. It did have it from the factory. The other ZQ8u equipped trucks were hit or mission matters what anyone says. Your grill has been replaced also...should be body color. All of the chrome stuff is aftermarket...as least the Bowtie is correct.

·
Been there Done it
8,222 Posts
It is a nice looking truck.

It's obvious the previous owner liked chrome.
Personally I think he liked it a bit too much.
Especially those big chrome rear view mirrors.
But taste is a personal thing.
Still a clean example of a 97 that is better than most.
I believe the SS package was an option on the LS model, which is primarily an interior trim package.
My rust bucket ZR2 has LS stickers on the rear roof pillars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments and info. I have to admit contributing to the chrome by putting the diamond plate box in the bed. Everything else was by P.O.'s (which there were three of them). It is in great shape for a 20 year old truck. I think it must have been garage kept. The mileage when I drove it off the lot was 57,373. (Verified by Carfax) I plan on leaving it as is, maintaining it, and driving, and enjoying it. I have read that the step side bed was only available in 96, 97, and 98 models. I would like to know how many were SS. As I have stated earlier, I didn't know it was an SS when I went to buy it. The things that excited me was, the low miles, step side bed, the great shape it was in, and the chrome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments and info. I have to admit contributing to the chrome by putting the diamond plate box in the bed. Everything else was by P.O.'s (which there were three of them). It is in great shape for a 20 year old truck. I think it must have been garage kept. The mileage when I drove it off the lot was 57,373. (Verified by Carfax) I plan on leaving it as is, maintaining it, and driving, and enjoying it. I have read that the step side bed was only available in 96, 97, and 98 models. I would like to know how many were SS. As I have stated earlier, I didn't know it was an SS when I went to buy it. The things that excited me was, the low miles, step side bed, the great shape it was in, and the chrome.

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
It's a nice looking truck, but all of the add-ons kinda kills it for me. One of the selling points for the SS was the mono paint. the trim around the fender will trap moisture and dirt...you know what happens then...lol

·
the new guy
906 Posts
I think that truck looks great and my step side bed really made me like it, also. just mine is rusting around the rear wheel openings so I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement. mine is red too, which is a good looking color for a sport truck.

I am in the party of the mirror chrome is too much but the rest looks fine to me, and so would a diamond plate box, if you added one.

but, as said above, its your truck so if you like it, great. I wish mine was that clean though, yours is a beauty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the compliments on the truck. It seems like so far, a majority doesn't like the chrome mirrors.
I hope you find a good replacement for your step side bed. That is what made the truck I bought a "got to have", along with the low mileage. I'm in the Charlotte NC area, and I have seen a few trucks that are parting out with step side beds. They sell pretty quick. They usually have worn out mechanically, and/or have no titles. I've seen them mostly on Facebook Marketplace. Try that in your area, and possibly Craigslist. What I have seen has an asking price from 800 dollars or so.

·
the new guy
906 Posts
if I could ever talk my wife into taking my truck on a trip, it would be cool to take pics of the two red step sides somewhere (if I got a non rusty bed, ha ha ha). my brother and sister live in north Carolina so we go up there every two or three years. one lives right off topsail island and the other lives by cherry point.

but, my wife hates my truck so I would have to be divorced to drive it up there. hmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts