S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm wanting to swap a 350 SBC into my 1997 base model, 2wd, 2.2L, S10. I'm on somewhat kind of a budget. What would be the best transmission to use that requires the least amount of drilling and cutting that lines up the closest with the 4 speed manual transmission, and which coil springs can be used to compensate for the weight of the heavier engine. I'm still fairly new to the S10 V8 swap, so if y'all could give me any and all information needed with this project, that would be most helpful. If there are any questions, I will be sure to get as much info as I can!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not sure on transmission, assuming just swap your NV1500 for a NV3500, would have been the 5 speed that came in the 4.3 trucks.

Also easiest coil springs would be 4.3 coil springs. Should be adequate for the extra weight. Atleast it is in mine but I'm running a ZQ8 front swaybar so it effectively increases spring pressure in the corners more than a factory 25mm sway bar.

read the stickies for info on the swap. Very knowledgeable people have covered most stuff in stickies, that being said

need to address your exhaust ( swap headers or gen3 Camaro manifolds) , fueling and spark(EFI vs Carb and HEI distributor) motor mounts(generally 2.8l lower mounts and and swap upper mounts)

radiator and fans ( usually recess rad into core support and run dual electric rad fans,)

trans mount, may have to fabricate one for your swap but might be able to buy one for a 4.3 manual truck and it fit.

oil pan, 2wd truck pan works, and people make swap pans.

rear end is pretty good up to about 400-500 whp in an auto indefinitely.
in a manual it's a crap shoot, especially with a gov bomb limited slip, but it should be okay up to mild 350 hp levels

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the NV3500 be able to withstand the 350? Also, would it be able to bolt straight onto the back of the v8, and is the would I be able to keep the same shifter hole as the NV1500 is using.

As for the sway bar, I will probably use the ZQ8 with the 4.3 springs. Will it bolt into the same place as then base model without any modifications?

If need be, what would be recommended to use if the rear end is replaced?

·
Registered
269 Posts
The NV3500 was used behind some V8 trucks as well, if you're drag racing the truck on a prepped surface with a strong motor you can break them, but if you're driving around town, smoking the tires and driving it back and forth to work on the highway, a good one should last a good long while if not indefinitely.

Depending on where your final placement of the engine is you might have to trim the shifter hole to make it fit but they are pretty close, remember the nv3500 was behind 4.3s with the same interior and center console.

The ZQ8 swaybar is a direct replacement for your truck you just have to make sure you get the ZQ8 mounts and bushings to go with it because your stock ones are too small, but everything bolts up in the exact same place.

Again, stock rear ends are pretty resilient with anything you can throw at them from a stock 350, but if you're going to be doing a heads cam intake motor with anywhere north of 450 whp you could be on the edge of breaking it. Especially if you have a GovLoc rear end nicknamed the govbomb because when they lock up with a good bit of torque they explode. I've put 500 whp through a welded stock rear end and it held up as long as I had the truck, probably 6-7 months. The guy I sold it to sprayed a 200 shot on top of that with some drag slicks and broke the read during the 1-2 shift through a 4l65e at an 1/8 mile strip.

The manual will be rougher on it than an auto. if you're worried about it a common swap is the Ford explorer 8.8 swap, it has an offset carrier from the factory and the easy thing to do is pull the long tube Axel and put in two short tubes from two different rear ends, they are factory 31 spline Axel's and you can find them with factory disc brakes and 3.73.
We really need some more info about your goals and what you want to use the truck for, would give a better indication of how far you would need to go on most of this stuff.

·
Been there Done it
12,487 Posts
Just don't use an NV3500 from a full sized truck. 1st gear is what we used to call "Granny gear". The S10 version has a 1st gear that is usable so you don't have to take off in second.

Reactions: 93'5.3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on putting a carbureted 350 in. I'm not looking to do any racing or drifting with it, just something to drive around on the road. What would I have to alter with the fuel system seeing as the fuel pump is inside the gas tank? Would I have to get a new gas tank?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Depends on what you want, realistically I'll always try to stear someone towards fuel injection for the reliability, fuel economy and driveability ( not many carb tuning sevants left in the world)

But realistically you could just use a fuel pressure regulator inline with your factory fuel pump and filter where they are and just plumb that to your carb.

The other option is to take your fuel pump out of the tank and replace it with a section of fuel line from the tophat of the fuel sending unit to the filter sock in the bottom of the tank and then use a standard mechanical fuel pump on the SBC but it would probably require re running atleast some of the fuel line under the truck.

Using a FPR with the factory pump would probably be the easiest, but remember carbs need like 3-6 psi of fuel pressure so you'll need a regulator that can go that low.

Do you have an engine yet or just doing some research on everything?

The best* stock engine you could get would be a 96 and later 5.7 vortec. They have roller cams, one piece rear main seals, and true vortec heads and make the best power of just about any stock 350 ever made and they're cheap. Just have to get a vortec head specific intake manifold to run a carb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.