S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope this is allowed here, I have a 1997 GMC Safari AWD that I bought with a seized motor. I swapped in my lower km (previously carbed) L31 vortec. I have a blackbear mailorder blackbox pcm and rewired and changed up the harness to match up to the v8.

I am having problems with starting the van and when it does start it either stalls out, runs rough or revs up past 1500 or more rpm. kind of runs away.

- p1336 and p1345 codes are set, when the motor runs away it will sometime set a map sensor input signal high voltage code, and a tps high input voltage code, cant remember the numbers
-I have a few different map sensors and throttle bodies and swapping them doesnt change the symptoms.

-there is spark, new distrubutor, stock wires and iridium plugs
-there is fuel, new mini injector spider
-there is compression
-timing is close enough to run and has been messed with trying to get it to start
-it fires on cylinder 2 when it wont start but not the rest
-oil keeps getting gas in it after a weekend of trying to get it running.

the engine:
-mild extreme 4x4 cam and comp springs otherwise stock rebuild
-has double roller timing set , reluctor seems to be triggering the crank sensor, however everywhere I've read says you cant fit the reluctor with a double roller timing set. (I didn't build the motor)
-rear o2s deleted, new front sensors.
-shorty headers (swapping back to manifolds)
-egr delete

What are your guys suggestions, what should I check? I have run out of ideas!

·
Been there Done it
8,585 Posts
That was his last post, over 4 years ago. Doubt he will answer you.
Likely the double roller timing chain. Ain't room under a Vortec timing cover for a double and the reluctor ring.
GMPP makes a HD single full roller that fits without moving the ring where the sensor can't read it.

I built a 92 AWD Astro with a TBI 350. Makes one great little hauler. I carried people to drywall and towed cars with it. My big dogs loved the room on road trips. Would still be driving it today if the front diff hadn't exploded and cut the return fuel line. Made quite a fireball at 60 mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what was it bro
It ended up being the fuel level wiring into the pcm messing with the 5v reference signal to all the sensors. The van was a 97 and the tune/pcm was for a 1998. The fuel level sensor was wired differently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts