S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this truck from new and want to do the 5 or 6 speed swap since the 4L60e is getting weak at 260k. Who has a good write up on this swap, as I understand this , this truck is a bit difficult with the pedals and have read that possibly the starter must be changed to a 2.2 style. I have a line on a getrag for 500, and know I’ll need the flywheel and clutch and release...please advise a good write up . I am no amateur to this business, but want to put together the parts list prior to the swap and adventure. Seems the 98 and up is a bit easier with the firewall and pedal setup. Any input on drive ability and fun differences than the 4l60 much appeciated.

·
time to get cereal
2,433 Posts
NV3500 will be easier than a T5 or T56, since it's what came from the factory that year. The cutout in the floor should already be marked. I think the shifter location is the same from 94-97, in 98 it got moved back, of course you can cut the hole in the floor wherever needed, just stating what would be easiest.

As far as pedal and master, the master should have a dimple for the cutout, and the pedal should be easy to find at the junkyard.

I doubt the starter is different, you can always check rockauto to see if there is a difference between auto and manual.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts